Facts of the day!

Spread the word via the Information Highway
Forum rules
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Facts of the day!

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 14 May 2013, 18:10

Hello peeps!
Long time no speak, been busy doing so many other things.
Don't seem to get much time to sign on here nowadays. Sorry folks!
Anyway, I will cut it short for now as I've got other things to do, so cannot stay online for long.

Ahem, right....I don't know if I'm using the correct Forum/Thread, but this should be okay with Yogi.
I hope so, if not, then I apologize to Yogi in advance.

As in the above Subject, I will try and pop a Fact of the day, every day of the week....hope this will be okay with Yogi too.

Starting as from now.....true Fact of the Day
More than 10 people a year are killed by vending machines.
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Re: Facts of the day!

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 May 2013, 06:12

:o

:lol:

Hi imhotep. Well that's a good start.

Here you go: True fact: Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 15 May 2013, 19:05

REALLY Icey!! :o

I never knew that. That leaves me out then, coz my hair has thinned a little bit :(
:bleh:
I'm going to try some Minoxidil when I get some time off work to see if that will help.

Today's fact....

Most dreams last only 5 to 20 minutes.

This is one of my fave hobbies.....dreaaaaaam, dream, dream, dream, just like the Everly Brothers did!
:sleep:
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 May 2013, 08:05

Ha ha ha!!! Well you work hard, so you're entitled to your lovely sleep and the dreams.

Hun - please don't waste your money on Minoxidil. I know folk who've tried it. If you insist, then bear in mind that any bald patches won't usually sprout new growth, and you need to use it twice a day for a good while.

The 5% one's the best, as the weaker version apparently does nothing at all. Your head can get covered in a dusty covering from using it, and it appears that it works best on the back of your head - not the crown or where you want folk to notice it. It can also make your skin flake, so be careful.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead, but remember this, and it's true. People don't care whether a man loses his hair or not, especially women. It's a myth that bald or thinning men aren't attractive, and it's lack of confidence which makes men think that they have to retain a full head of hair. Despite that, many DO try to keep it, believing that they'll look more youthful with hair than without. If it works, great, but whatever you do, DON'T invest in a wig!!!! :lmao4:

Today's fact from me: International Space Station astronauts change their underwear only twice a week. :shock: Sad, but true.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 16 May 2013, 19:00

Hello Ice.

As it happens I'm pretty sure that what I've got is Regaine for Men and I'm also sure it says that it has 5% on the packaging.
Hmm, I've taken heed of what you said about this particular treatment, but I'm quite tempted to give it a go.....
If anything nasty should ever happen, then I will definitely stop the treatment!
So, thanks for the advice.

Huh! Spacemen change underwear only twice a week!
:o
Hmm, well if the astronauts ever land in the sea themselves after going up in space, at least their undies will be washed!
:)

Anyway, on with todays fact before I sign off and go to bed....

Most fleas do not live past a year old.
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 May 2013, 08:08

Hi imhotep. You amaze me about the fleas! I thought their life cycle was much shorter than that, although maybe I'm thinking of head lice! :shock: Thanks for that, anyway.

Before I go on, there's a very pleasant member of nbf who's posted on "Off Topic" - third thread down. The subject of Dr. Who cropped up, and his regenerations've been mentioned. I took the liberty of saying that you might be able to answer a question about that? Next time you get 5 minutes, go on and you'll see what I mean once you've read down the few that're there, and you might be able to help, as I know that you know about these things more than the rest of us.

I hope that the hair stuff works for you - just didn't want it to irritate your scalp with no results at the end of it.

OK, here's another fact: Scorpions can survive being frozen solid for as long as 3 weeks!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 17 May 2013, 17:49

Ok many thanks for telling me about that Dr Who thread on the 'Off Topic' threads, as well as the advice about the hair.

Your fact certainly stung me hun! :doh:
I honestly didn't know that about scorpions, which can survive being frozen for 3 weeks! :shock:

Here's my fact of the day.....
Most of the dust underneath your bed is actually dead flakes from the largest human organ - your skin.

Yuck! :???:
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 17 May 2013, 17:51

Oh well, time for me to sign off now.
Can't stay up for long tonight...sorry folks.

See you soon.
Night!

:cool2:
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 May 2013, 18:28

Ah! Now I knew that fact about dust under the bed, but yes, it's true.

If you thought it odd about frozen scorpions, how about this one: A cockroach can live for 10 days without a head! The mind boggles ... or WOULD it?!! : )

Night chicken. Have a good weekend.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 17 May 2013, 22:02

Here's my two cents worth ...

Coke makes so many different beverages that if you drank one per day, it would take you over 9 years to try them all.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 May 2013, 07:24

:o Now that IS amazing! So that's .. 32,850 varieties even if you don't include leap years? They must definitely have the monopoly! I find that staggering.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 18 May 2013, 08:09

It may not be as awesome as it first appears. Coke owns a lot of companies that produce drinks. They own Hi C, for example, which must have several dozen different flavors of juice in their product line. Then there are the various sized containers in which they are packaged. I don't have a list of all the brands owned by The Coca-Cola Company, but I can imagine it's lengthy.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 May 2013, 11:12

It IS! Far too many to mention here, but I had a look, expecting a good few, obviously, and ..... well take a look! Coca Cola and its affiliates ....

http://www.coca-colacompany.com/brands/all

Wow, that's some business they have there. The profits must be huge.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 19 May 2013, 20:02

The landing page in that link filters out the brands only for the United States. If you change the filter to all brands, the list is staggering.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 May 2013, 06:14

:o You're not kidding! Thanks Yogi, I didn't notice that bit at first.

Well there's obviously a HUGE demand for these drinks. Who first invented Coke and started the company? It makes you want to produce a new recipe of your own. :think:

A dairy cow doesn't do too badly either. Fact: A good dairy cow produces about 200,000 glasses of milk in its lifetime.

ROFL!!!! When I first saw that, it said: "A good dairy cow produces about 200,000 glasses of milk in his or her lifetime" ....

DOES he??? :lmao1:
:shock:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 21 May 2013, 17:56

Ice.Maiden wrote:A dairy cow doesn't do too badly either. Fact: A good dairy cow produces about 200,000 glasses of milk in its lifetime.

What the??? Really Icey....I never knew that. What an udder fact that is!
:doh:
'scuse the pun there!!

Ahem, anyway, I'm not that keen on coke drinks myself.
In fact, I'm not a big fan of soft fizzy drinks at all to be honest. If I'm pushed to have one, then maybe something
like ermmm......ginger beer preferably, or a shandy.
I'm more of a tea and coffee person,but I also like well diluted squash, as well as red/white wine and beer.

Right then, best have some more facts then eh.....well today's fact is kind of a record really.....

Congratulations to Apple for exceeding 50 Billion App downloads!

Wow, a round of applause for Apple I say! Amazing, coz I'm one of many people who have downloaded songs
:clap: :clap: :clap:

other amazing facts.....
The first product to have a bar code was Wrigleys gum!

Over 2500 left handed people a year are killed from using products made for right handed people!

Most lipstick contains fish scales!

Until the nineteenth century, solid blocks of tea were used as money in Siberia!

and finally.... Porcupines float in water!
Hah! How about that then eh!
:think:
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 May 2013, 18:44

Hi imhotep! Gary says hi to you, by the way, on the Off Topic forum (the Fixing Stuff thread) Hope you get the chance to make your acquaintance. He goes by the name of Kellemora, by the way! Hope I've spelt that right!

Those are good facts. I knew that some lipsticks contain fish scales, but the other stuff?? Nope - you're teaching me things here.

Ok then - fact: The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.

Unbelievable isn't it, and yet true.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 22 May 2013, 18:37

Ice.Maiden wrote:The world's youngest parents were 8 and 9 and lived in China in 1910.

Wow, that is exceptionally young!!! :shock:

Just one fact for today as time is short, and im rather tired.
So, it's hello and goodbye I'm afraid.
Sorry folks!

My fact is - Kissing is more hygienic than shaking hands.....would you believe!!

So folks, I'm all for that!
[ img ]

[ img ]
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 May 2013, 19:19

LOOOL!!!! :lol:

Yes, we're crawling in germs aren't we? Well, sorry to've missed you, but here's another fact for you:

Leonardo da Vinci could write with one hand and draw with the other at the same time.

:shock: Try it - it's not easy!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 23 May 2013, 06:24

If you are into kissing so much, then you will love this fact: Having sex while sick can reduce a fever due to the sweat produced.

There are a whole bunch of reasons why sex is good for you, other than the pure pleasure of it.
http://news.softpedia.com/news/16-Reaso ... 7663.shtml
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Next

Return to Internet Memes