Diaspora Getting Closer?

Spread the word via the Information Highway
Forum rules
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Diaspora Getting Closer?

Postby kg » 31 Jul 2011, 21:12

Getting more and more disillusioned (and irritated) with Facebook with each passing day, I just Googled Diaspora again for some more up-to-date information. Seems that it's getting closer every day.

There are already Community Supported Pods in operation, and a fairly good article on , Diaspora describing how it will work fairly well.

What I would like to see are screen shots of how it all looks, both presently and the goals. It doesn't have to be eye candy city, but I would like to see more than a terminal window.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Diaspora Getting Closer?

Postby kg » 03 Aug 2011, 12:43

I was just made aware that the follow-up post I made to this thread didn't take, so here's a follow-up to the follow-up. I found screenshots!

Diaspora Screenshots

Some of these are the Diaspora game, but some will be the Diaspora Server screenshots.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 03 Aug 2011, 13:19

An even better blog post describing current and planned Diaspora features:

Raven Blog

It has a much better explanation of the current and future features of the Diaspora Server software, with much more commentary on the possibilities, especially concerning advertising and marketing.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Aug 2011, 17:03

Sounds quite interesting, even for an ignoramus like me!!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 07 Aug 2011, 18:45

Places like Orkut, Ning and now Google+ have been doing this for a while. Diaspora is coming to the game late but may be welcome as an alternative for those folks who are tired of Facebook.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 14 Sep 2011, 15:12

A current update to this:

This is the best blog I've read to date on the subject of Diaspora and its continuing development.

Diaspora – Germinating a New Social Web
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Diaspora Getting Closer? - Uh Oh!

Postby kg » 05 Oct 2011, 02:09

I was looking on Diaspora tonight, when I noticed that Ghostery was blocking something. Apparently, it was blocking Chikita:

http://www.ghostery.com/apps/chitika

I'm a bit disappointed. Hopefully this is just the pod and not "Christmas Future" for the Diaspora network!

Upon further perusal, I read this:

Chitika is a search targeted advertising network that displays ads to visitors that reach a page directly from a major search engine. They detect the search query used by a visitor and then return ads that best match that search query.

Perhaps a poster found the pod through a search engine and that search engine "attached" Chikita to the pod. I wonder if the pod owner even knows it's there?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Diaspora Getting Closer? - Uh Oh!

Postby Yogi » 05 Oct 2011, 18:22

Diaspora is not unlike any other web site. It has costs associated with serving and maintaining the web site. The costs must be covered as a matter of doing business; you know as well as I do that nothing is free. The ad space is built into the software. It's not there by accident. Don't be surprised to see an option to play Farmville one day as well.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Adios Diaspora

Postby Yogi » 28 Oct 2011, 18:26

I've mentioned to Glenn on a few occasions that I have a log in problem with Diaspora. The account was created on my virtual box implementation of Ubuntu and worked fine from that environment for several days. Then I got an email notification announcing an answer to one of my posts. I clicked the link and was transported to my Diaspora account via my Windows environment. Try as I did, I was not able to log in. So I turned on the virtual box, and voila.

It didn't take too many days after that where I could not log into Diaspora via the virtual box any more. I switched over to Windows, and like magic I got in. The initial log in problem had reversed itself by allowing log ins via Windows but not Linux. Well, it's an Alpha project so I was not too concerned. Until today. When I cannot log in via Windows or Linux. My email address which I used to create the account apparently is unknown to their server.

Well, I give up. If Diaspora ever gets to a Release Candidate level of development, I may try to use it once again. For now I think I will abandon the account and wait for the real software to mature.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

[split]Firefox 6.0 Released

Postby kg » 29 Oct 2011, 00:10

OK, I'm over in Vista now. I transferred my bookmarks over and loaded them, then went to Diaspora and successfully logged in to my account. I anticipate being able to do the same when I go back into Ubuntu.

What I'm thinking...exactly how did you try to log into Diaspora both times? Did you Google Diaspora and try to log into JoinDiaspora, or did you log into the pod you joined? I'm assuming that you followed my invitation to join so:

https://ser.endipito.us/

Click on the above link and see if you can successfully log in to your account. You can't log in via any pod...you have to log into the pod that you joined with. That's the only thing I can think of. It's all working perfectly from this end.

You can't launch any external bookmarks? What are the "external bookmarks" you're talking about?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Firefox 6.0 Released

Postby kg » 29 Oct 2011, 00:20

Yep, came back to Ubuntu, launched Firefox, and logged right back into my account with no problem at all. Hopefully, I've found the problem for you.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 29 Oct 2011, 07:12

Of course, this link works perfectly: https://ser.endipito.us/

So, now explain to me what the difference is between pods, links I find in Google search, and the links I get in e-mail notifications telling me posts of mine have been answered - I've used all three methods with different results. If it's going to sound like channels and e-mail lists, thank you very much. But, no thanks. :grin:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 29 Oct 2011, 19:10

Well, I spent a bit of time trying to find an adequate (short story) description but, being unable to find (a short) one, I'll muddle through the best I can.

Unlike Facebook and Google+, which are (relatively) centrally-based social sites, Diaspora is similar to a "Distributed" server. It consists of separate pods (servers), all of which (supposedly-obviously there are still bugs in the software) communicate with each other on a level that is settable both by the individual pods and the individual users themselves.

I probably don't need to tell you this, but with a centrally-based site, one goes to the site (there's only one URL), logs in, and that's it. But with a distributed server type site, you must log on to the pod you're registered with, such as ser.endipito.us, which is the pod you registered with.

A Google search for "Diaspora" won't bring you to that pod; it will bring you either to diasp.org or to joindiaspora.com. Since you didn't register with those pods, you won't be able to log into them. Though the pods communicate with each other, they don't communicate with each other on that level. That makes the pods independent of each other and better able to protect your privacy. It also enables you to start your own private pod, if you so desire.

Ah, private pods...that's what I was trying to find information on. As far as I can tell, you can start a private pod and only invite those you wish to join it. What I couldn't find out is exactly how "private" you can make it. For instance, I don't know whether you can take it to the level of not communicating with the larger Diaspora network of pods, or what level of control a pod administrator would have over that.

I do know that the Diaspora software is used in conjunction with several server software, like Apache. Here's the page on Installing and Running Diaspora for those wishing to run their own pods. You have more knowledge than I in that area, so you'll probably understand what they're saying without as much study as it would take me.

The emails with links (notification emails) should take you to the pod you registered on (though I don't know that for sure). If they don't, then I'm not sure how the email notification system works. Perhaps, if someone posts or sends you a message from another pod, then that pod might send the email, but I don't see how that would be productive, since a link in that email might lead you to the other pod.

The way I handle it is to leave Diaspora open in a Tab and allow it to automatically log me in. Then, when I launch my browser, the tab is automatically opened and I'm logged in to the account. I have also created a bookmark to my page. Naturally, that bookmark points to the proper pod and, short of needing to re-log in ("Your session has expired"), I can just click the bookmark and it will take me to the right place.

Every time I make changes (like a new OS installation) I make sure to save my bookmarks and import them into the new browser. Then they're there and ready for me to use. That's how I did it in Vista. I exported my bookmarks to an NTFS partition, then when I booted into Vista, I imported them there and had no problems logging in to my account from there.

Oh, BTW...log back into your account sometime soon. I left an explanation of #tags that might enrich your experience a bit and expose you to more of the network. I think you'll find it interesting. There's a lot more activity on the network than you might at first perceive.

Anyway, now aren't you glad I made the story short? :lmao4:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 30 Oct 2011, 07:41

I think you did a great job of explaining things without having to rely on somebody's esoteric depiction. The first entry in my Google search has the following description "A free personal web server that implements a distributed social networking service." Pretty much what you said, but not nearly as interesting. :mrgreen:

The concept is looking more and more like Google+ and what it calls hangouts. The idea is to put all the people you want to follow in circles of your own creation - just groups with a cute name. Then you can create a audio/video channel as a common meeting place for your friends - the cute name being hangout. The difference between Google+ and Diaspora (aside from the obvious) is that it's all in one place on Google. The structure and purpose is immediately obvious. The best part is that you don't have to log into one of many spam-sounding servers to get to where you really want to be. In fact you don't have to know anything about servers at all.

You must be seeing a common theme in my observations by now. The KISS principle is deeply embedded into my brain. While I do appreciate the wisdom behind the admonishment, "If you think the solution is simple, you don't understand the problem," I also don't need any more complications in my already complicated world. I'll be checking with Diaspora, or endipito, or whatever the hell they want to call themselves, but until they get out of the testing phase I'm considering it just another well intended idea that needs a lot of work.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Zhitomirskiy Passes Away At 21

Postby Yogi » 13 Nov 2011, 19:55

This just in, very sad news. One of the co-founders of Diaspora has died at the young age of 21.

RIP: http://techcrunch.com/2011/11/13/diaspo ... way-at-21/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 13 Nov 2011, 21:07

Well hit me with a ton of bricks! :vrysad:

Elsewhere I posted (or commented) that a while back, this very person started Following me on Diaspora seemingly out of the blue. At the time, I had no idea who he was, but I Followed him back. It wasn't until later that I found out EXACTLY who he was!

I can't say that we had much communication (OK, none!), but this really comes as a shock to me, as I'm sure it does to the rest of the team and the Diaspora community at large who half knows what's going on. He was the first (and only) person on Diaspora who started following me out of the blue without me following them first, or with me having answered one of their questions.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 13 Nov 2011, 21:40

You told me that somebody from Diaspora was following you, but I wasn't sure if this was the same person. All I can say is that it's a tribute to you that Ilya found something interesting enough about you to want to know what you had to say. His passing has got to be a great loss to the community.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 16 Nov 2011, 02:00

kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Concerning Ilya...

Postby kg » 21 Nov 2011, 03:32

It seems it has been confirmed that Ilya committed suicide. The following is a very nice tribute and a call to others to reach out:

Please reach out
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 21 Nov 2011, 19:25

kg wrote:

A very interesting comparison:

My experiences with Diaspora vs Google+ are exactly opposite of the author of that article. Go figure. :roll:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Next

Return to Internet Memes