so, so slow...

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

so, so slow...

Postby pilvikki » 13 Jan 2015, 11:27

yes, loki is so slow, I have a book handy, while I wait for stuff to load up. of course, the stupid thing came with 65421458742 programs, games etc I have no use for and I've weeded out a lot of them. but being your average techno peasant, I've opened up the task manager, yet have no idea what i'm looking at.

while I was looking for answers, it said I had no less than 8 or so chromes going and 2 IE's, yet I only had 1 chrome window up and no IE....

any suggestions? i'd post screen shots, but they'd be too big to paste here.

:think:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: so, so slow...

Postby Kellemora » 13 Jan 2015, 12:09

I don't know the equivalent programs on Windoze machines, unless it is your Task Manager, but you should have a service program like TOP or HTOP which shows all the running programs, with the ability to kill those which did not close properly.
Sometimes if you open a browser and close it again, it will close it's orphaned clones.
When I open a single instance of a web browser, HTOP may show four to eight or more of the browser running. These are often the active extensions which opened along with the program. In some cases, poorly written extensions may not always shut down properly when the web browser is closed. Or they may be running background tasks before closing.
It should also show you who opened the program, whether it was the user or the system. If you have closed Google Chrome and still see clones of it with your user name, they probably didn't close properly, and it would be safe to kill them.
On the rogue IE's you see running, make sure they have your user name and not the system running them, IE is integral to the Mickey$oft Windoze operating system now. Killing IE opened by the system, may crash your system. A reboot will restore it though.

If you are doing nothing on your computer, other than looking at HTOP, it should be the only program shown as running. Others are running, you may have 85 to 100 programs running, but they are not actually running, not using up % of your CPU, but waiting ready in cache, using up some of your RAM memory. Normally, after your computer has been booted up for a long time and you've done many operations, about 2/3 of your memory is consumed by cache and 1/3 waiting for the user to use.

Windoze computers are inherently slow beasts to start with, and continually get slower over time. It has been too long now since I've used a Windoze machine to know what to tell you to do to speed it back up again. Personally, back when I used Windoze to play games, about once a month I would reinstall the OS to a clean formatted hard drive to get rid of all the garbage and the bloated registry files. But then too, I always kept Dealer Install copies of the OS which contain NONE of the garbage the OEM supplied disks contain. Yogi has a better way by using a Virtual Machine to hold the OS, so it's just a matter of saving a clean copy and reloading it. Much faster than doing a new install.

I hope Yogi tells you what to do, because I honestly don't know anymore.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 13 Jan 2015, 16:16

I used some cleaner program, but then things went crazy due to a Wi-Fi problem, so I killed it. now I can't seem to find it and use something else, but it's not cutting it...

this is an almost 2 year old machine and runs slower than any of those we've had hanging around for 6-7 yrs. of course, this is running on the lovely 8.1... where the update to .1 made it even worse, thank you so very friggin much!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Kellemora » 14 Jan 2015, 13:43

You might have had the CCleaner program. It is one of the better ones out there.

Have you run a test on your RAM memory to make sure it is all still working right?
If some went bad, you will be using the swap file more heavily which slows things down a bit.

I was hoping Yogi would pop-in and give you an idea of something to try.
We still use XP as the alternate OS for Windoze programs the frau still uses to play games.
I have one small machine with Win7 on it, but it can't run the games written for XP, so sits in a corner unused. I installed Debian on it, but if I do want to use it, I have to plug in a mouse and keyboard, and the charger, since it went dead sitting. So many headaches to try and use these little portable toy computers. I exert less energy walking up the hill to my office and sit down at a real computer.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 14 Jan 2015, 15:30

Do this, and the report back with the results:
http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/wi ... n_one.html

Be sure to take your time and follow all the instructions. Some sophisticated tools are being used to clean up the mess in your computer, but this program clearly walks you through the process. There is a list of things it will repair in the last step. Uncheck those things you absolutely know you won't need to fix, like anything to do with Windows 8 (if you are not running Windows 8). Otherwise it's safe to fix all those things you have no clue about.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers