Ubuntu 15.04 Alpha

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Ubuntu 15.04 Alpha

Postby Yogi » 23 Dec 2014, 08:02

I don't think I'm going to be evaluating anything in it's alpha phase, although I might be tempted in this case. Apparently Ubuntu is mimicking Microsoft yet again by playing catch up and trying to listen to it's customers. If you read the announcement carefully you will see that they are dropping Unity and coming out with a Gnome version. I guess the folks over at MATE opened somebody's eyes. The sad news is, that the old time flavor is not the "proper" release. But at least a Gnome version is going to be officially available.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/12/ubun ... -1-flavors
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Ubuntu 15.04 Alpha

Postby Kellemora » 23 Dec 2014, 15:08

I don't know Yogi, Mate is forked off Gnome 2, and Ubuntu is still using Gnome 3. In this case Gnome 3.14.
Although we can put some features back, they keep removing features most of us want and in some cases need.
More and more users are moving up from one monitor to two, three or more. So the ability to shrink a programs window, which does not need to run full screen, is a must have feature. Even the Tweak Tool cannot add back the expansion handles missing on several apps now.
On one of my computers, I have to change the resolution setting before opening the update window, else I cannot get to the buttons because they have the window too tall with no way to shorten it.
All these changes are not upgrades as much as downgrades in my opinion.
And it's not just one of Distro's doing it, they all seem to be on the downgrade bandwagon these days.
Trying to use the same program for cell phones as they do for enterprise servers makes absolutely no sense to me.
After all, you don't go out and buy sub-compact car to move a moving van load of furniture across the country. Nor do you use a moving van to drive to work every day. But that is exactly what they are trying to do with the new Distro's. One size fits all has never worked in the history of mankind!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 24 Dec 2014, 09:02

Linux suffers from a lack of interest by software developers. There is of course a hard core dedicated user base but no distro of Linux gets the same attention as even the worst from Microsoft. When reality went off in a different direction than Microsoft was headed, even the shirts at Redmond HQ got the message. Developers don't want to make six variations of their apps just to make everyone happy. Thus the operating system people are trying their damnedest to make life easier for the developers. One development environment to fit all applications is a sensible approach. One user interface for all devices is insane.

Ubuntu is trying to establish itself in the smart phone/tablet market very much in the same way as is Microsoft. Both have roots in the world of desktops and they are watching Google and Apple laugh all the way to their banks. What you call downgrades is their best effort to accommodate developers and perhaps revive a lost interest. Alternatives to Unity and a freakish combo of Windows 8 + Windows 7 are simply indications of the panic going on behind the scenes. Us folks with special needs lose in this scenario, but I suppose that is better than either Linux or Microsoft disappearing from the scene altogether.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 24 Dec 2014, 14:39

There may be a lot of money to be made from consumers with all the toy computers.
But when it comes down to keeping them all working and connected together, you'll find in big business it is UNIX/Linux holding everything from collapsing.

IBM has always been a pillar in the business world. And the System z operating systems run almost the entire world.
z/VM virtualization technology is designed to allow the capability for clients to run hundreds to thousands of Linux servers as z/VM guests in a single mainframe while hosting other System z operating systems for non-Linux workloads, such as z/OS®, z/VSE, and z/TPF on the same System z server or as a large-scale Linux ...

Almost all major companies, although they use Windows on the production floor, are running their entire companies on UNIX/Linux based servers.
Even Windows is coming around to include more Linux and Linux like features in its OS's. And to give credit where credit is due, Windows is also making their devices more compatible with the Linux servers they rely on to function properly.

Linux has steadily become the operating system of choice by manufacturers of toys, video and telephone equipment, along with many things that involve hand-held devices and remote controls. The trend for using Linux began around 2002 and is gathering momentum, according to several companies that develop Linux adaptations for product uses. "Today, we see Linux in products from watches to supercomputers,"
Product developers are quick to point out that Linux is often the best choice available, but not the only choice. Microsoft touts its Windows Mobile and WinCE versions as viable portable operating systems for consumer products. The Wind River appliance platform is also available.

Of course, cost factors heavily into consumer product development. Unlike other options, the Linux OS is free. The inherent costs in using it involve fees for user support of a particular distribution or the costs of scaling the Linux kernel to a particular consumer product.
"You can tailor the Linux kernel to do anything that is needed with no royalties payments," said Philip Pokorny, director of field engineering at open source software and hardware firm Penguin Computing.

I don't know if it is true or not, but one of the computing websites had a user comment that the graphics card which came installed in his new HP Windows computer uses Linux in its control system. He thought that was mighty strange for a Windows ONLY computer.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 24 Dec 2014, 20:24

If you count every electronic controller as a Linux operating system, then certainly Linux rules the world. I, however, don't see a wrist watch or a TV remote with a Linux kernel in the same class as a work station, a desktop, a laptop, a tablet, or a smart phone. The Linux kernel might be open source and royalty free, but it's totally useless by itself. Everything that is added onto the kernel costs in terms of development time, which means it's not exactly free. You also would have to be pretty naive to believe all those IBM virtual machines are given away as free and open source - and no, I don't believe you are.

If you count all the servers in the world and then count all their clients, which do you think has a greater presence? It's flawed to think Unix/Linux as holding the computing world together because they would have nothing to do if it were not for all those client devices they are serving. There is no argument that server software is mature and has been around as long as PC's (longer in fact). But servers are a small captured market and is not where the money is to be made. Software developers know that.

As much as I don't get along with Microsoft, they deserve credit for trying to make it easier to develop software for their products. Linux by its nature has to be modified for each OS distro in order to create an identity. The thousands of distributions are rarely compatible with each other, albeit free and open source. Just try to make an app that will play well on even half the Linux operating systems that are popular. You would be wealthy if you can. Microsoft and certain enlightened Linux developers are trying to make things uniform. They are trying because that is exactly what Apple and Google did, and look where they are today. They have stable OS's and developers can't make apps fast enough for them.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 25 Dec 2014, 11:58

I agree with you wholeheartedly on these issues Yogi.

Regardless of what kernel is used, the development of the software is still a major expense.

Developing for the Consumer Market is what makes the world go round, and where most of the money is too!
This is why Mickey$oft and Apple took off so well. People don't want to know HOW to make something work, they want to take it out of the box and use it without problems.

This is why CB took off so heavily the government couldn't control it and gave up on enforcement of the laws.
Why spend years to become a Ham Radio Operator and EARN the licenses necessary to use the airwaves, when you can just go buy a device off the shelf and use it all you want?

Almost everything has gone wireless these days, and not a single consumer holds a license to use the devices they are buying. Someone holds a license for the band they are using the device under, often without consumer user restrictions now too. The devices themselves prevent out of band usage.

As you know, Linux is NOT an Operating System, and as you said, anyone can build an operating system using the Linux Kernel. I'm NOT the one who started calling ALL OS's that use the Linux Kernel Linux.
I agree here too, an OS is an independent operating system, just as different as Windows or OSX or Android. Under Linux there are many flavors, BSD, RedHat, GNU, Debian, etc. etc. etc.
I don't expect a program made for Android to run under Windows, or OSX, so by the same token, I don't expect a program designed for BSD to run run under RedHat or Debian.
However, ALL Programs can be compiled from source to run on a specific Operating System without too much difficulty. It is also much easier to do so today, than it was only a few decades ago.
Programs HAD TO BE written for the Specific CPU they were using. A program written for an 8080a processor would not work on a 6502 processor.
Back in those days, when I did have a minor amount of programming smarts, I rewrote the code written for the 8080a so I could use the program on my 6502 machines.
The times have changed drastically since then. And honestly, my understanding of what goes on under the hood flew the coup right along with advancing technologies.

Apple and Mickey$oft were the two major players that placed a desktop computer in nearly every home. They made sure the programs written for their computers worked as best as possible. Yet they still suffered from many problems due to different hardware architecture.

I preferred Apple and Mac over Windows, but Windows took such an advanced lead in the marketplace, I was forced to go the PC route myself, or lose my clients.
Whether it was a mistake or not, I never found it so, but after going through Apple, Lisa & Mac for business, I switched to a WANG Mainframe. WANG's offices were in my home town, and they had unbeatable deals and service contracts. So low priced IBM was not even considered competition.
Whatever we needed WANG did for us, for a fee of course. I kept tabs on IBM during those years also, and many things WANG could do for us, IBM wouldn't touch at that time, or if they would, it was thousands of dollars more than WANG charged us.
When I had to switch to PCs for my personal clients, WANG pulled through there also and made a WANG PC for me that ran Windows and Wang side by side. This was NOT a dual boot machines, but perhaps may have been like a virtual machine, except I could exchange data easily between WANG and Windows OS's.
Not Programs, but the data the programs generated, IF I had the comparable Windows program.
Mainly word processing documents, spreadsheet documents, and image files, could be easily exchanged between the two OS's.

What I didn't like about Windows, vs MAC, is many of the things I could do in a Mac program, I could not do in the same program on Windows. Those features were just not there in the Windows version. And even though they were the same program, the files were not interchangeable between Mac and Windows at that time. Ironically, they were all interchangeable with my WANG PC if they were done in Windows.

In the Linux World, naturally RedHat is the dominant OS for small business, but Ubuntu is climbing fast and may overtake RedHat in commercial service contracts.
Like Windows or Mac Users, we Linux users want things to be turn-key and work well also. This is why we have package maintainers such as Ubuntu, Mint, and others. The OS I use, Debian, is not well maintained at the user end, they let Ubuntu and Mint do the work for them in that regard. By the same token, both Ubuntu and Mint chose Debian to build upon, because they considered it the most stable of all.
Debian is NOT bleeding edge, as this is where most of the problems come from. It also means if we buy newer hardware, it may not work with Debian and will have no drivers. Drivers written for Ubuntu may not work with Debian, not even if you establish all the dependencies.
But, Linux is making great strides in the user/consumer market. Almost everything out there is using the Linux Kernel, and becoming more and more compatible in cross-platform usage.
Even Windows is changing to using more Linux world software in their own programs. Albeit, they are changing some of them to be Windows ONLY versions, which is reaping havoc with websites everywhere.
E.g. Adding proprietary coding to the standard XML format so only Windows recognizes certain standard Unicode characters they changed. In other words, they are trying to Bully their way to changing the standards once again.

Merry Christmas Yogi!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers