Anonimity

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Anonimity

Postby van » 19 Oct 2014, 03:24

Kia ora Dennis

Came across the following and would appreciate your point of view.
http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1017943 ... -anonabox/

Could it be that such an application could secure/insure? your protection against hackers etc?

Just curious
Arohanui Aio
Bill
van
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Anonimity

Postby Yogi » 19 Oct 2014, 09:17

I'll start out by saying there is only one way to prevent hacking of your home computer/network. That is to never connect it to the public network, the Internet. Even that does not stop anyone with physical access to your computer, but it will keep the hackers in the the wild under control. However, you should not worry as much about your home network as you should worry about the large corporations who have your personal information in their databases. Hackers are going after them, not after one little PC with questionable value.

Having said all that, keep in mind that the issue of privacy is not the same as security. Anonabox is offering privacy by putting your computer behind a proxy server. While the article does not state exactly what is in the box, the way it reads is that it is acting like a proxy to your router. It's only good for one computer at a time, which means every device on your network needs an Anonabox to attain complete anonymity. I'm guessing that the box encrypts your data going to the router so that nothing easily readable is sent out of your router onto the Internet. They claim to be using the Tor network, and that makes sense. But you don't need a $45 box to do that. You can get all the anonymity you can ever want for free by using Tails, a Linux based operating system that is run off a USB memory stick: https://tails.boum.org/

The Anonabox people are vague as to why using free software is not a good idea, but I do use it and can tell you it's not for the average person. First of all it's Linux based which is a problem for home grown Microsoft Windows users. But that's just a learning curve. Among other things you must use the modified Iceweasle browser in order to use Tails to it's fullest potential, and that could be an issue for some websites. Above and beyond the shortcomings of rendering in Iceweasle, many web sites will not allow you in if they sense you are originating from a proxy server. Anonabox has no answer for that because the proxy filter is on the server side not on your client PC. Thus no matter how you get to the Tor network, you will be blocked from access to certain websites.

Whether you use Anonybox hardware, or something like Tails software, all you are gaining is an anonymous identity. The security of your system is still at risk if you do not take additional measures.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 19 Oct 2014, 10:39

Yogi knows much more about this stuff than I do.

I only chimed in to say, it matters not how many proxy servers you go through to try and hide your identity. The path is still traceable back to the originating computer. Even a laptop used in a coffee shop will eventually get pegged.

I've used Windows for most of my life, without anti-virus or malware protection. I don't think I've ever got a damaging virus in all those years of being on-line. I used to set-up and run BBS services, and we never had problems there either.
This is not to say I didn't accidentally download a couple of annoyances via e-mail or from infected websites. They just never got through to where they needed to, to cause problems, because I never ran in anything other than user mode. Windows runs in administrative mode by default, and that is one reason it was so vulnerable to attacks.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 20 Oct 2014, 10:11

The Tor network is distributed and it would be nearly impossible to trace the source of a transmission just for that reason. To do the trace would require the hacker to be operating for an extended period of time which is never the case by anyone doing serious hacking. If I were attacking your computer, I'd be in and out in less than five seconds, which is hardly enough time for you to even know I'm there. On the other hand, if I were breaking into the Pentagon, that might require a little more on line time. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 30 Oct 2014, 06:45

Apparently Anonabox has some fatal flaws and it's support on Kickstarter was suspended. The devices are mace in China, not truly open source, and vulnerable to security leaks. Other than that, it's fine. :lol:

ANONABOX: https://openstandard.mozilla.org/the-ra ... -anonabox/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 30 Oct 2014, 12:49

They make it look easy on TV, hi hi... ☺
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers