New computers are HORRIBLE...

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Re: New computers are HORRIBLE...

Postby Kellemora » 08 Oct 2014, 09:48

Hi Glenn

I had almost everything they made associated with Ham gear and testing equipment.

Only sold my HW101 and the rest before moving south.

LOVED those Benton Harbor Lunch Boxes, had all of them, The Twoer, Sixer, & Tenner.

Here is a picture of my Ham Shack before I moved south and sold most of it off. Lot's of stuff on another desk not pictured or mentioned.

http://home.comcast.net/~classichauslim ... radio.html

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 09 Oct 2014, 10:40

Now that you mentioned it, the old "Hot Water 101" was one of their radios I built, back in the day. Never built a "tenner"; I don't remember ever hearing of them. Just the sixer and the twoer. They were fun little radios.

With all the miniaturization, stability requirements, and extra functionality these days, "rolling your own" is next to impossible. It takes some of the fun out of the hobby.

Other than "talking" (which hams have done since time immemorial), almost the only thing left is coming up with new computer-generated digi-modes. I'm starting to think that CLOVER was the last of the digi-modes which required building a specialized PC board to generate and run. The rest I have seen or taken note of are generated by software, then transferred via a modem.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen any CLOVER PC boards to plug into a SATA port -- only EISA. And thinking further, I haven't seen anything running some of the HF digis, such as AMTOR, PACTOR, and the like, either. Even an external to plug into a USB port would be nice. It would allow those who are interested to use the "latest and greatest" computers to continue using modes that require more than software to continue running them. I especially used to like to run PACTOR, and I still have my CLOVER card, though I no longer have a computer in which to use it.

You'll have to excuse me...I'm a computer nut. But you already knew that, didn't you? :P
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 09 Oct 2014, 10:58

I always got into trouble when I got on the air with my older equipment in later years.
The bandwidth on many of them was so wide, it wiped out a dozen or more users.

Most of my packet equipment, and morse code on HF, eventually shifted totally to computer.
I still liked my little microreader, so connected it to the computer also.
I'm sure things have changed a lot in the past decade I've not been on the air in any meaningful way.
Even took all of my radio gear out of the car, because it is deadsville down here.
Neither of the local repeaters have many users, and those are usually farmers on their tractors or sloppin' the hogs.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Previous

Return to Personal Computers