What happened?

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

What happened?

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Jun 2014, 11:18

I always switch my computer off when it's not in use. I switched on about half an hour ago to find a window on the screen (preparing desktop).

After a few seconds, the desktop view sprang into life, but it was on a black background, with some, but not all of my icons down the left-hand side. I usually have some on the right.

A window came up in the bottom right-hand corner, saying that this was temporary. :shock:

I switched everything off, waited a few minutes and then tried again. Everything back to normal. :???:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: What happened?

Postby Kellemora » 29 Jun 2014, 11:39

Hi Icey

It sounds like it had uploaded an update in the background and you didn't see it was installing when you shut down. Then when you restarted the computer, it finished installing the update.
Normally it will say, please do not turn off your computer, updates being installed.
But on laptops, many have them set to shut off when the lid is closed, so they never see the warning.
At least there is a recovery fail safe mode in place, first started way back when, because of power outages during an update.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 29 Jun 2014, 11:57

On a different note:
Ever since I downgraded from Debian6 to Debian7, we've had major CUPS (printing) problems.
As always Debian blames it on CUPS, and CUPS blames it on Debian, so nothing is ever resolved.

Well, I had an order I needed to print UPS labels for, and the only option available was a program that used the non-functioning CUPS print system.
I spent over an hour, downloading each PDF to print separately using a working printing program. A program that never gave me a problem before would not print properly.

Yogi will love this. I first rebooted into Windows XP, but did not have the programs I needed on this computer, since I never used Windows XP on it. So, I moved to my next oldest computer and booted into Windoze XP.
Now realize, I already loaded all of the upgrades, including the final round-up for XP.
Up pops a slew of updates I had to install, some were from Windows.
After they installed and I rebooted again, then I had to update my web browsers to make them compatible with the most recent Windows upgrade. Then upgrade FLASH and several other extensions so they would be compatible with the web browser updates.
An hour or so later, I finally connected back to UPS to print out my shipping labels.
While this printing was going on, I received another update notice for another printer.

You may recall my complaining about a cheap printer I bought for the purpose of cancelling checks. This was one of those all-in-one printers, scanner, fax, printer, copier, etc.
It ATE the checks, so was useless for that, so I was using it as a scanner. But when the ink cartridges ran out, it would no longer scan. I've been looking for a new scanner, but never found one yet.
I made a few posts badmouthing the company for disabling the scanner due to empty ink cartridges.
I'm sure many others who bought the device to use only for scanning did also.

In any case, this new driver had an informational bulletin with it.
The printer itself will not perform a scan using the hardware buttons on the scanner.
However, if you upload the new driver, it uses a Windows based scanning program, and if you open this Windows program first and select the software scan button from it, it will allow you to scan using the printer's scanner with empty ink cartridges.
I gave it a try and it worked perfectly!

The software built into the hardware makes the scan button do an ink check and then opens their own proprietary scanning software. Which no longer opened after the ink cartridges were empty.
With the new driver in place, I tried scanning from other programs with software scan buttons.
It was No Go, only works from the Windows program they said it works from, and that program is only available from the Printer Icon in the users panel. I didn't find it in listed in any other of the program options. Which I thought was strange. Perhaps it is part of the driver I downloaded as it was a large download for just a driver.

At least I can scan with it now, beats throwing it away.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 29 Jun 2014, 18:37

Good early morning Gary.

You may be right about the updates, I don't know, but before I shut down, there was no message to tell me not to touch the computer (a desktop, not a laptop) while any were installing. Normally, it'll tell me when updates are being prepared. I switched everything off as normal, and then when I came to use it again, I got what I described above. I'd never seen it happen before, and the screen lay-out was totally different. Whatever, it's back to normal now, so thank you.

I'll let Yogi discuss your second post. I couldn't understand much of it, BUT, it's true to say that ink cartridge levels no longer show. I'm running on Windows 7 atm, and my combined printer's not an old one. Just now and again, I'll get an alert that a cartridge's low, but it's really frustrating to print out say, 10 copies of something and then it suddenly runs out halfway through. When I used XP, there was no problem. The levels'd be indicated for both colour and black cartridges. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 30 Jun 2014, 09:05

I have no idea what was going on with Icey's computer. It does indeed sound like a similar scenario I go through when updating my video card software. It will change the screen resolution at which point the desktop icons are located in different positions than originally. Once the update is complete, the resolution is set back to where I had it and all the icons show up where they should be.

This, and Gary's problem, brings up the issue of automatic updates. I don't do them when I have a choice. I do all my updates manually so that I am in control of what is going on.

As far as what to update goes, I generally go with everything that Microsoft offers for it's software. The last Linux update I did a few days ago decided it needed the kernel updated which always makes me shake my head. Windows never updates it's kernel, be that bad or good. In any case, if I have a choice in the matter I never install the manufacturer's front end software. Rarely is it compatible with whatever version Windows that it runs on. I do some research and load only the basic device drivers whenever that is possible, thus avoiding the marketing tricks and traps that peripheral vendors love to install on your computer.

While it's lovely to have your computer take care of it's own needs, my computer isn't smart enough to make me happy. I do it all manually. It takes longer, but at least I know what is going on.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 30 Jun 2014, 09:51

I'm going to take Schultz's stance on things.
"I Know Nothing!"
And the older I get, the truer that phrase becomes.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Jul 2014, 15:01

Everything's been fine since. Thank you.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Personal Computers