Alternative to Passwords

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Alternative to Passwords

Postby Yogi » 27 Nov 2013, 19:34

There is now an app for your iPad and iPhone that will allow you to use a selfie (self-portrait) instead of the traditional alpha/numeric password to unlock your device. If you have an identical twin, this might not work so well for you. :mrgreen:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/11/27/now ... passwords/
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Alternative to Passwords

Postby kg » 27 Nov 2013, 19:52

FaceCrypt’s website acknowledges that poor lighting and even new facial hair may impede facial recognition, so if you grew a mustache for Movember, you should probably input a new photo that your device will recognize.

OK, if you grew a new mustache that impedes facial recognition, how do you get past the phone's security to change your photo? If you shave the mustache off to get in, then change your photo, you'd have to wait for it to grow back before you could use the phone again. :???:

Unless you can store multiple photos of your face, in various states of "grooming." :P
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby threenorns » 27 Nov 2013, 20:01

i'd have to do that, definitely.... but what about women and makeup?
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 28 Nov 2013, 01:10

I'm sure the recognition algorithm is not so fine that it will reject the slightest changes. You will have plenty of time to modify the picture as your facial hair grows. Facial makeup should not be a problem either unless you are literally putting on face paint to look like a clown. I would guess that there are several dozen sample points required to recognize an unique face. You would need quite a few of them to check false in order fail the recognition test.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 11 Jan 2014, 12:59

i have 3 ways to unlock my computer, a p/w, a quick p/n with 4 digits or a picture.

thank goodness for that for it will take 3 to actually get ONE right... i had used a picture from my collection and thought i'd check it out, but alas, had misunderstood how it works... so i had to use my pin, which i remembered, to change the picture ID....

:crazy:

the reminder for my pic id? butt-beak-beak. :lol: it has the kids walking away with some birds in the background.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jan 2014, 14:05

My brother password protected some of his important company files.
When he upgraded to a newer Windoze version, the characters he used were no longer allowed in passwords.

And for Yogi's benefit, I will say Ubuntu Linux has a similar problem, not with passwords, but with file names.
The file naming convention I used for thousands of genealogical files, when I upgraded from Ubuntu 8.04 to 10.04, none could be read. In fact, they did not appear in the directory tree either. But the used space in the files showed they were all there.

It took me forever and a day to figure out why I could not see the files.
Then once I did figure it out, I had to rename well over 2000 files by hand.
Which is just one more reason I had to dump Ubuntu.
I cannot use Windoze to open most of my nested files. Windoze has a limit on file names.
Which means many of the files on my file server, or on my external drives, cannot be accessed with a Windoze computer.
Or you cannot save the altered file back where it was retrieved from.
Almost every time I need for my frau to look at a file, I have to move it to a folder closer to Root or she cannot open it on her Windoze computer. File not found. Or if she can open it, when she goes to save it back. Unable to copy file, or unable to save file, errors abound. She can use Save As and save it in the emergency folder, one or two above Root.

Back in the '60s we had 32767 limit, with 7 character file names. But even then, you could nest folders almost as deep as you wanted. Why Windoze decided to limit file names to somewhere around 265 characters makes no sense.
A file name is the ENTIRE PATH to the File, including the file name itself.
So if you use sub-folders, inside of sub-folders, inside of sub-folders. Windoze can't find the files, or if they can find the files, it can't save back to those folders.
Makes one wonder what Mickey$oft was thinking?
What good is a TREE if it can't have branches and twigs?

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers