Error

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Error

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Oct 2013, 11:40

Can someone explain what this is please? It's just popped up 3 times, but I finally managed to post.

SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (11) ..
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Error

Postby Yogi » 14 Oct 2013, 12:26

That is an error message given to us by our hosting service server. As you may know we share a server with several other web sites, and when the load gets to be more than the server can bear, we get that message. Most of the time it will go away after a few minutes. If it goes a lot longer than that, let me know via the administrator's e-mail account.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Oct 2013, 17:22

Thanks Yogi.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 15 Oct 2013, 12:08

Hi Icey

As Yogi said, paraphrased, it's the Linux "BUSY SIGNAL," hi hi...
Means there are "Too Many NUTS" using the server system.

Windows would just show "ERROR." and be done with it. Other than advertising for you to buy more stuff.
Linux explains "WHAT" the error is, and where the problem originated.
Even if it is unintelligible to non-programmed humanoids.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 15 Oct 2013, 12:48

So ... what good does it do you to know exactly what is the source of the problem if you need an 8 year old boy to explain it all to you? :lmao1:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Oct 2013, 10:44

Because you can go on-line with the error message and find out what caused it, and if it is on your end, fix it right away.

Just because I started out with an Octal Entry kit, then a Heath/Zenith, and an Apple I motherboard, don't mean I keep up with technology that's moving faster than the speed of light.

I used to be able to rebuild an engine blindfolded. Today, I don't even bother to open the hood. I just bring it to a repairman and say, it's broke again. And he don't know what's wrong either! He just plugs it into a computer to tell him what to fix.

One of the reasons I love Linux so much, is it is easy to fix, compared to WinDoze.
Even a total reformat/install takes only minutes. And then you simply copy your home folder back to the HD and your up and running, just how you left it. Those are things you just cannot do on WinDoze.

Think about it for a moment. Many people DREAD getting a new computer, because of all the hidden files for activating programs you bought. Some companies only let you reactivate a program four or five times, then you have to buy new.
Nevertheless, you have to sit down and load all the software and perform all the tweaks before you even get it back close to the way you want it.
On Linux, when I get a new computer, I install the OS, then copy my home directory to it, plus a couple of other folders sometimes. And voila, I ready to roll again. With very little downtime.

Heck, I can't even upgrade the HD in my wife's WinDoze computer, because she will lose over 1000 games, and would have to reinstall each one again. I did find a way around this, it is a pain in the arse though. We keep the original drive C intact, and move most of the working files over to the new HD. This way all of those hidden activation files are still on her original HD.

Once you get used to Linux, I feel it is much easier than putting up with the nuances of WinDoze.
And the best part, 99% of the software is FREE. Yet you can still run WinDoze software on it if need be.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 16 Oct 2013, 12:21

The error message Icey was seeing is a classic example of why Linux is unsuitable for the average computer user. I realize that you may not have seen the same error message, but I have. I can assure you it's not generated by the Linux operating system on our server. It's an error message delivered by the php software that runs this web site, all of which demonstrates that even a person such as yourself familiar with Linux cannot intuitively discern the meaning of what you see in terms of information on a Linux based system.

It would help to keep in mind why Linux was invented when comparing it to other operating systems. Linux was not made to be better than the existing and more established operating systems. The Linux kernel was designed to be a free alternative to Unix which was and still is the main stay of enterprise and system critical computers. The Linux kernel is open source as are all the staple programs in the multitude of Linux distributions. That means anyone can come in and modify the kernel and/or the attached software to suit their whims. The Linux crowd tauts this as being wonderful mostly because it is not a proprietary Microsoft product.

Linux is indeed free and customizable which in my experience has not proven to be an asset. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of versions of Linux without any coordinated support. As you point out, you must go on line and hope to find a solution to any problems. Most of those solutions come from self-appointed experts who had similar, but not exactly the same, problem. The end result is chaos when the average computer user tries to repair or even customize their environment.

The fact that you can point to all those servers in the wild running Linux is a false affirmation of it's utility. All those servers are being administered by well educated and highly experienced technical types. Most of them are software engineers. The fact that you need all the experience and education to successfully administer a Linux server is very telling. To be fair I will say servers are a niche in the world of computers and indeed require technical skills to manage. However, the use of Linux by the general public is minuscule in spite of the fact that it is free, open source, not Microsoft, and has been around for a few decades. Dedicated Linux users never think to question why that is the case, but anyone else who tried to make the switch off the more mature operating systems knows the answer.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Oct 2013, 13:46

The Kernel is just that, the Kernel, and actually has nothing to do with the OS running on top of it.
The very fact that the Kernel is free, is why so many OSs using the Linux Kernel exist.
Technically, they should not be called Linux Distro's, if they deviate in any way from GNU.

But is it really any different than Windows and their many OSs?
Only some of the software is backward compatible, and hardly any are forward compatible, unless you select to run it in a compatibility mode with an older OS.

Most servers run UNIX/Linux, not because it's free, but because it's the most functional and least problematic.
If msServer was so great, it would dominate the server market.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers