Back again.

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Back again.

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Oct 2013, 18:31

Yogi - how do I get back onto Gobbledegook please? It's a while since I signed in over there, and I had my hard drive wiped last night, so everything's from scratch again. : (

Can I sign in with the same user-name and password as I use on here?

Thank you.

:shock:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Re: Back again.

Postby Yogi » 10 Oct 2013, 17:46

Sign in with the user name and password that you have been using over there.

I know your username on Gobbledygook is different than what you use here, but I have no idea what passwords you have been using in either place. If you have trouble logging in, PM me or e-mail me and I'll reset your password.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Oct 2013, 17:56

OK., I think I still have the password somewhere, but I'll have to check on that.

What I meant was, how do I get there? Have you got a link to it please?

Thank you.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 12 Oct 2013, 07:06

Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Oct 2013, 13:52

Thank you. Not sure how to bookmark the page since having to start again with a clean hard drive. They used to show up at the top of the screen, I'd click and they'd all drop down. Now ..... : (

I've just been on though, so the log in details are OK, but no one's been on for about 6 days. Ah well. Thanks again.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 13 Oct 2013, 11:30

There are only three of us who currently enjoy Gobbledygook. :grin:

Bookmarking a page is easy: press ctrl+D

What your browser does with the bookmark is something else. They all seem to have different ideas about how to organize them. You can simplify your life a little bit and forget the bookmarks. Just remember "brainformation.com"
Type that phrase into your address bar and almost any browser in the world will take you to our home page. From there it's pretty obvious how to get to where you want top be.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Oct 2013, 13:25

Yes, thanks Yogi. It's not the actual bookmarking which's difficult, but not having them in the place I was used to having them. All I had to do before, was click on to bookmarks and then click onto what I needed, with no typing into the address bar. Finding my way round the new set-up I've been given's a bit of a nightmare, but I'll get used to it. Good job I haven't got Windows 8 installed yet. My friend's finding it monstrous. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 13 Oct 2013, 14:11

I don't know what you had else I'd be helping you put back that way again. The person who wiped your driver for you should have given you a way to restore your old layout.

I can live with Windows 8 if I had to, but I don't have to. I've used an evaluation copy of it for a long time and. like anything else. it takes some getting used to. The problem is that Microsoft is forcing people to do things differently. That's what is not going over so well. They are in the process of finding a new CEO. The one who created this mess is conveniently resigning soon. The new guy will fix things up if Microsoft is to continue as a viable company. The fixes, however, are likely to be in the form of cuts and elimination of products instead of making the existing ones work.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Oct 2013, 19:39

Sorry - what's a CEO? : (

While everything was being wiped, I was watching with interest, and then I was asked if I'd backed it all up ......

Of course not - hence I've lost a few things of importance. I know they can be restored somehow, but on top of that, I now have Chrome added as well, and icons which I'm not used to - and some of my most-used've gone missing! I have absolutely no idea how to get my bookmarks showing as they once did, with a drop-down menu that held literally hundreds of things. The machine's now back to factory condition - in a manner of speaking. It'll take me ages to get used to it.

To complicate matters, I'm having trouble with connection and when I've got it, things're slow. There's something wrong with the phone line, and this can't be fixed until after the 21st! I'm so annoyed, because it's a standing joke that my computer's just used for fun, but in fact, I need it for work purposes as well, but everyone seems to think that what I use it for's irrelevant! With no working landline phone and bad internet connection, I feel marooned, but thank you for your offer. I'll bear that in mind if things go south in the future.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 14 Oct 2013, 09:20

CEO = Chief Executive Officer. That's usually the man at the top, who was Bill Gates for a long time. When Bill retired Steve Ballmer stepped in to fill the office. Steve and Bill are considered the two who founded Microsoft. While Steve is a great businessman, he is not Bill Gates. Thus Microsoft is now suffering from the lack of vision Gates had to offer. It's hard to say what went wrong, and many would argue that nothing is wrong. Competition is a normal way of life particularly in the high tech arena. On the other hand Microsoft is losing ground in unprecedented fashion, which is coincidental with Ballmer's taking charge. For whatever reason he is retiring and the next CEO will have a mission of bringing Microsoft back up to speed, or burying it.

I know you feel that you are technically challenged when it comes to computers. That's a shame in many respects because it makes you feel out of control. Even a knowledgeable computer tech could not reproduce your comfort zone on the PC. Your customizations are not factory defaults and nobody could guess what suits your needs best. Thus, the need to create a way to recover from disaster is critical. Asking if you made back ups is a good question. Destroying all the data before asking is a fatal mistake. Most techies don't want to be bothered with backing up that which they are about to destroy. Doing that doubles the task at hand. But, it's arrogant to think you can simply rebuild what you had. A top notch tech would not only wipe your drive but also give you a way to get back what you had should it be needed.

Well, it's all history now but not entirely a bad experience. It could be fun rebuilding your comfort zone to suit your whims and needs. The new setup may not be what you had, but it will be uniquely yours. I know it would be an enormous challenge for you, but just about anything that has ever been done is recorded on the Internet somewhere. I am certain you can discover instructions to do what it is you did in the past, and I'm also certain you will have trouble following them. Then again, if you don't take the initiative, you will always be at the mercy of an overworked (or unsympathetic) techie to fix your problems for you.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 14 Oct 2013, 09:45

CEO = Crackpot Endangering Organization ☺
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Oct 2013, 11:51

:P LOL Gary, but I was being serious, because unless someone tells me, I often don't know what these abbreviations mean - despite them being obvious to many.

Thanks anyway Yogi. You can imagine who "sorted out" my computer, but he was rushed and had to travel a few miles after my frantic phone call. He didn't arrive or leave until late, so maybe some stuff was skipped. You're very right - I KNOW I'll have difficulty in following any online instructions, but, despite my scant technical knowledge, I HAVE managed to fix things on my own before. I just don't like to, in case I make a complete hash and ruin other things!

I'm very grateful for any help I receive, but for instance, when my computer was remotely taken over before the visit in person, I had palpitations trying to follow instructions! It took me ages to work out what I was told to do, but I managed it in the end. The ability IS there, but I'm just so horrified by doing something so alien to me, that my brain goes comatose! :(

Ha ha ha - it's not a shame I'm so dense with these things Yogi - it's a blessing! I just hate messing about with computers, but to some, it's a pleasure.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 15 Oct 2013, 12:01

Well, this should make you feel better Icey.
I can't follow the directions related to computer stuff much myself either.
Those who help me, say, it's right there in the MAN pages. (MAN for Manual).
Most of them might as well be written in Greek. I never could make heads or tails out of any of them.

Now, if I can find a little 8 to 10 year old boy floating around the neighborhood.
They ALWAYS know 100 times more about computers than I do!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Oct 2013, 17:09

Kids grow up with these things today and take them for granted. My eldest son's extremely good at IT, but he's away at school. One of his favourite subjects though.

Me - I'm as dim as a fading bulb when it comes to such matters, and what makes it even more shameful is that we had some computers when I was at school. I loathed the lessons, and skived off most of them. I can see now that it was a silly thing to do, but I just don't like technical things - though find it quite interesting to watch OTHER people fiddle about with computers and so forth.

Most of my friends are the same - they'll just get help from someone who knows what they're doing!

My next job's to try and install Word, but I've mislaid the product key. There's a free version which you can download, but I don't know if I ought to or not, in case it's not genuine and it does something even worse to my computer than what's recently happened to it! It'd be limited in what it can do, but at least I'd be able to get things typed and printed out.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 15 Oct 2013, 17:56

I don't know exactly what Word you are looking at, but almost nothing in life is free. :mrgreen:

If it's the Microsoft version of a world processor I am certain that you can indeed download and use it for free up to a point. At that point it will be disabled unless you purchase a license.

Should you not be totally enamored with or loyal to Microsoft products. there are indeed free versions of similar office software. Visit the Libreoffice web site >> http://www.libreoffice.org/ << and download their product. Libreoffice is totally compatible with the Microsoft Office Suite so that there is no need to be concerned about previously created Word documents.

A word of caution: While Libreoffice is compatible with Microsoft products, there are some slight differences that will need to be mastered. For most people the differences are intuitive to resolve, but you might have to use the Help menus to resolve certain issues. It's not a show stopper, but I can see how it might be an irritation for you.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Oct 2013, 11:06

Open Office and Libre Office are both Free. I like them better than msOffice, especially the word processor.

Both are much easier to learn than msWORD ever was. However, after learning the backwards way of doing things on msWORD, you may have trouble navigating your way around Open Office or Libre Office, because they used some common sense, things are just logical.

For example: If you want to Format a Page on OOw or LOw, you go to the FORMAT/Page tab. Logical!
In msWORD, if you want to Format a Page, you go to the FILE tab. Page formatting has absolutely NOTHING to do with FILE Operations. So why Mickey$oft put it in such an illogical place, is far beyond anybodies wildest comprehension.

When using OOw or LOw, just stop and think. Where is the most logical place you would place the command you want?
Chances are, it will be right where you expect it to be! Not off in some remote tab that has nothing to do with what you want to do.

I see many WinDoze people, who are using msWORD, are now using their .docx format.
The Mickey$oft .docx format is PROPRIETARY and is NOT IN COMPLIANCE with the XML standards.

Those of us in the writing community, especially those of us who work with publishing companies.
Although we can read the dreaded .docx format. No publishing companies are accepting it.
If you want to use XML, then use the industry standard XML, or convert your document to .doc, which is still not standard, but accepted by all publishers, simply because of the number of people using msWORD.

Mickey$oft is constantly trying to do their own thing, upsetting the entire world.
Their IE web browser was never compatible with industry standards, which is why website programmers always had to generate a special page, just for IE users. Thankfully, those days are finally behind us. We ignore IE's proprietary coding and only work to W3C standards. All of my websites are W3C STRICT xhtml/css! And Transitional websites are falling by the wayside. Another word for Transitional is LAZY! If I can learn STRICT at 65 years old, anybody can!

There are several problems with msWORD that most folks don't realize, until they try to upload their documents to a publisher or printer. msWORD bases its margin limits on whatever printer you have connected to your computer. Just changing to a different printer, can completely blow your .doc format. It was a total nightmare when I was in the business of making tri-fold pamphlets. The only way I could get my work compatible with the printing company, was to work on msWORD documents with the computer set to use the margin settings from the driver for their printer. These settings were incompatible with home use printers. So I could not print out a paper copy of my work to file away for myself. Attempting to do so would blow all the formatting. This is a problem we have never had using Open Office Writer!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Oct 2013, 19:46

Thank you both. Libreoffice was one of the names given the- thumbs up by a computer help magazine.

I tried Open Office for a bit, but didn't like it and went back to Microsoft Word. For me, one of the disadvantages was in not being able to get my favourite font style up. I forget what it was now, but one of the Gothic ones. I just seem to get on with M. Word, and have no problem with it for what I want it to do. It may be different for you, Gary, with the type of work you do, but everything printed out well, and it was easy to change the size and margins of documents, etc.

Hope I can find the disk to put it back on, otherwise I think they cost about £110 for a new one. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 17 Oct 2013, 07:09

Both LibreOffice and Open Office are free. You should not have to pay for them.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Oct 2013, 11:39

Yes Yogi, and I might just use one of them, but Microsoft Word's one's my preferred one, and one which I can use easily. If I can locate where I put the case, I'll be OK. I don't think it's left the house, but it's not where I thought I'd put it. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Oct 2013, 13:50

Both Open Office and Libre Office can use every TrueType font ever created.
If you had a font you like, just place it in the FONTS folder, and it will be accessible to OOw and LOw both.

If you are seeing it in msWord, there is no reason the same font is not visible in OOw or LOw.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Next

Return to Personal Computers