PITA win 8...

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

PITA win 8...

Postby pilvikki » 31 Aug 2013, 14:20

what do you guys make out of this"

a while ago i clicked on a bbc link and my screen started scrolling and no matter what i tried, all screens would scroll back up to the top. then it happened again, but everything was fine until today when i clicked on another uk link ["the dancing queen"], which is youtube.

this time every window started the same crazy spin and i couldn't even use the "charms" [really?!] on the side, as they were just scrolling up.

i finally got mad and hit the off button. [yes, i know... how smart is that!]

rather worriedly i then waited a while and turned it back on. it started the first screen, then drew a blank. i did that a couple of times and then just waited - and after a loooong time loki woke up.

any idea what the hell what that was about? i've never had that particular problem with any other machines i've owned. and why only the uk links?

i have scanned and i'm supposed to have live on-line scanning as well, so he ought to be squeaky clean?

:think: :think: :think:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: PITA win 8...

Postby Yogi » 01 Sep 2013, 13:45

That's a new on on me. :???:

Fortunately I've never run into the problem. It sounds like the kind of thing that would be a nightmare to troubleshoot. The problem can be anywhere from the YouTube channel itself to a loose memory card inside your computer, not to mention the flaky software you may or may not have installed. One thing you CAN do is to try the same links on some other computer. If the problem only happens on your computer, then it might be time to take it to your local geek shop for a check-up. If it happens on all computers, then you might want to talk to the ISP from whence you get your connection. If you send me the links, I can try it here to see what happens. The government isn't filtering the Internet content in this country ... yet.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 01 Sep 2013, 14:31

There's one more thing that pops to mind, and that's a setting. I can't recreate it here (Linux, of course), but there is a way to set the mouse so that there is some sort of "automatic scrolling." If I remember correctly, a little icon appears to the side and, if you move the mouse above it, it scrolls up, and below it, it scrolls down. This is all without having to use any buttons on the mouse.

I used to accidentally trigger that function, and it would drive me crazy until I figured out how to disable it. Like I said, I can't remember how it worked now, and can't recreate it. It's something that you might have accidentally triggered, and something easy for you to check out.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 01 Sep 2013, 15:49

thanks guys!

i don't remember the links and it's not happened on the other laptops so it's either the mouse or this darn nuisance...

i'll start mit mouse.

arigato!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Personal Computers