Windows 1.1

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Windows 1.1

Postby Yogi » 28 May 2013, 19:29

Here's a little something to help you recall the good old days ...

WINDOWS 1.1 http://www.guidebookgallery.org/screenshots/win101
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Windows 1.1

Postby Kellemora » 29 May 2013, 11:33

That was awesome Yogi!
And yes, I do remember it, although I had forgotten most of it, until this refresher course, hi hi.....

Do you know that I still used the "original" WRITE.EXE program until only about three years ago.
I hated the new WRITE program they came out with. It didn't do half of what the old program did.
So I made a copy of the original and added to to every machine I've owned for these many years.

Of all the full-blown and sometimes expensive word processors out there, not a one can do what the original WRITE.EXE program could do. And that is a GLOBAL font increase. Meaning it retains the existing font sizes and only increases them by one step. EG: At the same time 12pt becomes 14pt, 6pt becomes 8pt and 10pt become 12pt.
No other program has that capability. So, with all the formatting I had to do to fit within a certain space. WRITE.EXE has continually won out over any other word processor, for pre-formatting operations.

And it runs in WINE, hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 29 May 2013, 16:04

Anything Windows from DOS on up runs in WINE. :grin:
WINE is the most awesome program ever. However, I can't see using an application that was obsoleted 20 years ago, but if that's what you need for the job, go for it.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 30 May 2013, 09:33

I used to make those tri-fold advertisements you pick up about various tourist traps.
I didn't do the printing, just the layout, usually based on existing layouts they already had.
Many had a considerable amount of text on them, with different font sizes for emphasis.
And they changed the text nearly every printing. Often featuring the highlights for the month.
Sometimes it was a lot of text, sometimes a little text, and you wanted it to fit in the same textbox each time.
That is where WRITE.EXE really shined.
You just pound out the text, using the eye appealing font sizes, until it looked just right. Size did not matter at this point.
We often used 4pt to 6pt spacing after a 18pt header, to 12pt text with 14pt callouts.
This may make the document 5 inches tall and it must fit in a 3 inch tall box.
In WRITE this was easy, just hit the decrease font button and it would shrink proportionally.
Once it was the size you needed, you moved it over into the WORD textbox, cut n paste and you're done.
To try and do this in WORD alone, could end up taking hours, instead of just a few minutes.
Because you would have to adjust each line individually and just keep guessing at what will work.
Using WRITE for our preliminary layout was a godsend and major time saver.
Why no full-blown word processor ever offered this simple feature found in WRITE is beyond me.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers