Wheezy Has Been Released

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Wheezy Has Been Released

Postby kg » 06 May 2013, 00:20

Just as a matter of interest, especially to one of us. http://www.debian.org/

Guess I'm going to have to change my /etc/apt/sources.list to reflect the release...either to "Wheezy" or to "testing," which might be more fun.

One caveat: Wheezy brings Gnome 3 with it, so if you don't want to deal with it, you might consider switching DTE's. Personally, I don't care all that much, but if I'm dissatisfied, I'll consider a switch. Since I have and plan to continue to use LMDE, Wheezy will just be something for me to experiment with, since LMDE is based on Debian anyway, and already on Wheezy to boot.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Wheezy Has Been Released

Postby Yogi » 06 May 2013, 06:33

I'm using Gnome3 with Google's Chromes OS on the laptop. It won't install in my VM version. I'm not allowing enough memory there methinks. I'd be interested in reading about your experiences with it, and Wheezy in general. Mint in Chrome is cute but I have problems with adding extensions. Otherwise it hasn't impressed me a whole lot. Maybe I need to use it more. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 06 May 2013, 16:16

Well, my first experiment has been (unsuccessfully) completed. Since I had Squeeze installed on my laptop, I edited my sources.list file and replaced all instances of "squeeze" with testing.

Unfortunately, my installation on the laptop was done sans Internet connection (since the install disk doesn't include wireless support, and I was too lazy to take the laptop to the Ethernet connection), and I found that the installer commented out some lines that couldn't be confirmed. The "apt-get update" and "apt-get dist-upgrade" commands seemed to work as expected (in fact, "dist-upgrade" took quite some time), but the upgrade was unsuccessful, nonetheless. I theorize that, in addition to the commented out lines in sources.list, there may have been some that were omitted, as well.

Not really a problem, though. Since it's a relatively bare-bones installation, I'll download a copy of Wheezy and install it fresh...this time with the Internet connection, so the installer will construct the sources.list properly. Once I have everything right (including the wireless drivers), I'll change everything in the sources.list from 'wheezy' to 'testing', and the installation will be a true "rolling release" distribution.

I also still have the installation on my desktop to play with, and that was connected to the Internet during installation. I might alter my modus operandi a bit, though. I think I'll dist-upgrade to Wheezy, and then change it to the testing branch. Upgrading from Squeeze directly to testing may have been too large a chunk to swallow at one time.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 07 May 2013, 09:07

I think I'll wait until they iron out the wrinkles before giving it a whirl.

Now if they could come up with a WiFi driver for my Aspire ONE 722, I would consider jumping on it.
The one and only driver they came up with so far, is far an antiquated chipset not found in newer machines.
So, on that machine anyhow, if I want to use a WiFi connection, I have to boot into the Doze.

And FWIW: I did try running a VM on the Doze with Debian Squeeze. It still did not see the WiFi or USB ports.

Love Debian on my desktops though!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers