GIMP Plugin Registry

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

GIMP Plugin Registry

Postby kg » 27 Apr 2013, 19:56

I knew there were plugins and additional functions available for GIMP, but I had no idea there were so many! With roughly 25 entries per page, the last page (in the "most popular" category) is 1012. Anyway...

For those of you who use GIMP, no matter how frequent- or infrequently, there seems to be a massive list of plugins, scripts, and what-have-you available for GIMP:

GIMP Plugin Registry

The list is interesting to peruse, and one day you may find the plugin you never realized you were looking for all your life! :P
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: GIMP Plugin Registry

Postby Yogi » 27 Apr 2013, 22:30

I tried using Gimp for a while, but gave up. It's the most convoluted and difficult to use graphic editor I've ever had the displeasure of using. I had no plug-ins installed other than what comes with the standard install. This is one case where the free program is worse than anything you can pay for. I settled on buying Paint Shop Pro and never regretted dumping Gimp.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 27 Apr 2013, 23:07

I guess it's what one gets used to. I've never used PSP, nor have I ever used Photoshop, so I don't know what I'm missing. GIMP has worked famously for me...it's what I created my book cover with.

Fortunately, there's a software package for everyone, and for every occasion. One should use what works best for them.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 28 Apr 2013, 18:42

When I was doing a lot of graphics work, I bought Photoshop.
There were many things I was doing with Free Windows programs that came with various printers I purchased.
I used to keep a list of which of these little programs did what the best.
After I purchased Photoshop I must have tossed that list. Which was a mistake.
Similar features in Photoshop did not work as well, if at all.
It was great for nonsense type of work, but for serious work, I had to go back to my little free programs.

After moving over to Linux, there was only a slight learning curve.
I did have to figure out how to do things on it. But once I did, every feature I loved in my old programs was in Gimp and much more.

Thanks for the link to the plug-in registry Glenn, I'll have to go take a look at it.
Had a project that could be done manually, but it was hard and time consuming.
Someone pointed me to a plug-in that did exactly what I wanted, and very simply as well.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers