Of Resolutions And Limits Of Endurance

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Of Resolutions And Limits Of Endurance

Postby kg » 14 Apr 2013, 19:24

Mercy be upon me!

Since my old monitor was on its last leg, I recently bought another monitor to replace it. The monitor is even older than the desktop it was hooked to, having been purchased roughly 11 years ago. It is one of the flat panel monitors pictured in the picture of my old stock trading setup (in fact, the one on the right):

[ img ]

Thee new monitor is a Hewlett Packard 20wm, and I find I have a serious problem with it. Hopefully you will know something to do about it.

It seems that the monitor insists on 1600 by 900 resolution, and will not display the boot up screens or the GRUB menu. Needless to say, this is totally unacceptable! Since I multi-boot, I must be able to see the GRUB boot menu at a minimum!

There are a couple of experiments I'm going to try, up to exchanging this monitor for the other. Perhaps this monitor will display what's necessary where that one won't. I'm afraid I'm going to have the same problem here with the monitor, though. There are drivers for that monitor (?!), but they're for Windows, with no Linux drivers whatsoever. But that makes no sense...one would think that resolution was a function of the graphics chipset, which handles it fine once it boots to the login screen.

Do you all know of any resolution to my dilemma, or somewhere to find the information? I've looked for an owner's manual to download, but there are none.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Of Resolutions And Limits Of Endurance

Postby kg » 14 Apr 2013, 20:14

Never mind.

I was going through HP support and came across a problem that, while not the same, was similar enough to ring bells. I hooked the monitor up to the computer via the VGA port rather than the DVI port, and everything came up...the booting screens, BIOS, GRUB, and everything.

Problem resolved.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 14 Apr 2013, 20:59

Glad we could help. No charge. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 15 Apr 2013, 14:24

I'm glad you posted this Glenn!
I have two identical monitors, and when I moved one, I did so by unplugging the cable from the monitor, not the computer.
When I connected it back up, nothing showed up on the screen until the log-in screen finally appeared.
Since I use KVM switches, I didn't worry about it, just switched to a different monitor for the boot up sequence and grub.

When I read this earlier, I got down on my hands and knees and looked at the monitor inside my desk to see which terminal I plugged the cord into. It was the inside one. When I checked my other monitor, it was plugged into the outside terminal.
I switched them, then rebooted, and voila, it works now.

Wonder why they have two ports that fit the same plug, if they are different video services.

Also, have TV's become high enough resolution to use with computers?
I ask because the newest computers seem to only have HDMI outputs now.
Unless I didn't look at them quite right.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers