New Computer (As Threatened) ;-)

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Re: New Computer (As Threatened) ;-)

Postby Yogi » 02 Sep 2013, 09:46

I'm not sure if Linux treats Chrome any differently than the rest of the world, but I have never had a problem exporting Google Chrome bookmarks in the Windows version. I follow the procedure in the link to store them in an HTML format, and edit all I want from there.

I've never used the "sync:" function built into Chrome, but it looks like that would work too if you simply want to use the same bookmarks in multiple browsers.

EXPORT BOOKMARKS: http://productforums.google.com/forum/# ... wwNYxi3r1c
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 03 Sep 2013, 10:48

Hi Yogi

I wasn't talking about the bookmarks, I was talking about the History Files.

I need to upload to a website, all the URLS and only the URLS (not their page name), for the week or month.

This is a very simple task in Firefox. Just open the history file, highlight the list of URL's and hit copy. Go to the destinations website, open the upload page, and hit paste. Job DONE in one session.

In Google Chrome, you go to the history file, open the day folder, the URL is not shown, only the page names. You right click on the page name to get the actual URL, highlight only the URL part of all that is displayed. Hit copy. Go to the destination website, open the upload page, and hit paste. There, you now have ONE URL uploaded. Now go back to Google Chrome and do this a thousand more times and you'll be finished. Job takes MANY painstakingly horrendous sessions.

This is WHY we are FORCED to do certain things in Firefox! None of the other browsers make such tasks so simple.

As an example: Let's say you get paid 10 cents for every client that sends a new link to a program that runs in your browser.
But, in order to get paid, you have to upload the URL that was sent to you for verification.
When you open the program in your browser, each link that you verify is stored in the History File.
In Firefox, you open your History File and select all the Links you clicked on while in that program. Copy ALL selected.
You just can't do that in Google Chrome. They must be done ONE AT A TIME, and you have to select ONLY the URL, not all the other garbage Google Chrome adds with it.
Firefox also lets you SORT your Links by type and/or time. So you can cluster them all together and copy them all at once.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 03 Sep 2013, 14:45

OK, I understand the problem now, and I know why you would want to do such a thing. Most people don't have a need for that kind of data transfer.

I did a little research because I know that kind of information is store in a file somewhere. So it is:

in xp = C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\
    in vista = C:\users\USER\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\
    in win7 = C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
in a file called history. The bad news is that it's not readable by any text editor I have.

I have no clue where it might be in Linux, but you seem to have a work around anyway.

[ img ]
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 04 Sep 2013, 11:10

Hi Yogi -
Yes it is in Google Chrome, but as you found, not in a way that allows only the location to be copied, and it is not sortable.
Now if I could copy ONLY the location data, I could sort it in a word processor easily enough.
So the score for GC History is, No selectable views, No sort feature, No location only data. Location data is grayed out also, so if you do try a cut n paste, you only get the names, not the locations.

Here is why Firefox works best for this.
In History, under VIEWS you can SORT by Locations, then go to Show Columns and select ONLY the Location column.
Highlight the range of URLS you want, they are in order because you sorted them first. Then hit copy.
Now the latest versions of Firefox have the checkbox to turn off the NAME column grayed out.
However, there is an add-on that allows the NAME checkbox to be turned off, while that page is open.
It does not affect Firefox's files, it only turns off the Name column on the open screen, so you can copy only the location column, which is the URL data we need.
Before we got the add-on, we copied the data to a spreadsheet program, deleted the NAME column there, then copied the location data to a word processor.
Now, since the add-on does not work on mac or windows, they company has a filter system that ignores the lines that are not the URL. And also, you don't have to sort out unwanted URLS. I guess it does this by comparing the URLS to a client list?

As an aside: When I used to play FarmTown on Farcebook. The gifting websites needed the gift URL's in order to exchange gifts between members. Although we use Google Chrome to Accept Gifts from a gifting website, we use Firefox when we accept gifts from game players that we intend to upload. So most of us, just played FarmTown using Firefox. And now, Google Chrome (actually Flash) crashes if you use it for accepting gifts from gaming gift sites.

I'm sure many companies who pay their work-at-home employee's, require URL uploads for verification you were at the clients websites. Most URL's show the folders you opened also. I don't go directly to a clients website, I do so by going through the company and clicking the internal links. That way the URL I upload contains easily sortable link data.
As an example, if you have ever used Stumble. If you watch your URL bar, you will see that although the web site is showing on the screen, the URL is still showing as Stumble linked to the displayed URL. That is roughly how our URL's look, and why they sort so easily.
There is a way on Stumble to get to the web sites directly. Like as if you wanted to set a bookmark to them.
I just use the Pin-It button, which turns off the Stumble URL. I don't actually Pin-It, just bookmark the URL, then hit the back button to bring back the Stumble URL, the page doesn't change.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Previous

Return to Personal Computers