Virtual Ubuntu

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Re: Virtual Ubuntu

Postby Kellemora » 31 Mar 2013, 11:02

Hmm, have a question Yogi. VMware PLAYER is FREE, and the guy at the computer shop says it lets me do things that Virtual Box (VB) does not. For example: You cannot print to a USB printer using VB, but he claims you have access to all USB ports with VMware Player.
Other VMware products are for multiple users, like workstations, etc. and require you buy a license.
I think the reason I went with VB instead of VMware in the first place, was, at that time, I did not understand all the mumbo jumbo on their website, still don't really.

Now on VB, I could print, since I had a second computer, and could send the print command through the LAN to the computer with the printer attached. Which is another advantage to having more than one computer.

From reading the FAQ's on the VMware website, they recommend using the lightest and fastest host system to run VMware on. This frees up both CPU and Memory for the Virtual Machines you have running in VMware.

I have not had the time to try and run VB or VM to test XP on it yet. Busy, busy, busy!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 31 Mar 2013, 11:41

I'm unfamiliar with VMware Player and apologize for not being able to answer your question. I've used the workstation software when my employer was paying for it. :mrgreen:

There could be a limit to how many USB ports you can attach to VirtualBox machines, but I know it's simply a matter of mounting the device in order to get it to work. You can do this through the settings panel. I get around the whole issue by using an HP wireless printer. None of my virtual machines ever had problems finding the wireless network printer.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 01 Apr 2013, 09:50

Hi Yogi

If and when I get time to play, I will give VM Player a whirl.
I'm working pretty much full-time now, and today is the frau's first day of retirement.
I'm sure she is building up her massive mounds of Honey-Do lists for me to attack, hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Previous

Return to Personal Computers