Screw this, I'm going back to Windows!

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Postby kg » 17 Mar 2013, 15:14

Of course, I'm not talking about myself! It's the title of a post by one of my favorite Linux 'bloggers, Dedoimedo, and though it's a humorous post, he makes quite a few salient and significant points about the current state of Linux:

Looking at what has been happening in the Linux world in the past three years, it's a field nicely peppered by cluster mines from a proverbial GNU MLRS. Ubuntu was Gnome 2, then it switched to Unity. In one fell swoop, it killed the foundation of the desktop use, trading it for a gamble of unifying the mobile platform with the conventional computer. But the laws of conservation of stupidity cannot be ignored. And so, in making two one, half the usability went away...this kind of goes against the multi-core multi-threaded advancement in technology. Multi-task became single-app. And the human IQ committed seppuku.

While I'm about it, I came across another hilarious 'blog entry by Dedoimedo. Would you like to learn to troll effectively?

Many a geek worldwide has his/her (mostly his) favorite software. But this goes beyond having the best tool of the trade, the most suitable piece of engineering suited for the task at hand. The feeling transcends into the realm of severe psychological addiction. And so it happens that this addiction creates an instant and violent response to even the slightest manifestation of difference in taste or opinion toward said software. This sounds like a splendid opportunity to have fun. So let's learn the best way to make fanboys angry.

How to annoy fanboys

Enjoy! :lol:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Screw this, I'm going back to Windows!

Postby Yogi » 17 Mar 2013, 15:29

I've documented a few of my adventures here already so that there is no need to bore you with reiterations. Windows is my current OS of choice, but if there were no Windows I'd be using Ubuntu with Unity. I have tried KDE and that would be my second choice of Linux desktops, but Unity is definitely a step in the right direction.

You have to keep in mind that when I say all the above, I'm speaking with as little as two years of experience on a Linux platform. I don't have all the years of use logged that many of you have, and thus I don't have the preconditioning that you have. Coming into the game as it is changing gives one a whole new perspective on Unity.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Screw this, I'm going back to Windows!

Postby Kellemora » 18 Mar 2013, 13:48

Ubuntu 8.04LTS is what drew me back to Linux after a long absence.
I have to give them credit for an outstanding OS, that for me, barring a few minor things, was totally turn-key.
Why they chose not to build upon such a solid foundation and only improve upon it, is beyond my comprehension.
I still had to use Windows XP for some proprietary programs, of which there were no Linux counterparts.

Ubuntu 10.04LTS gave me numerous problems, some of which were never overcome.
Some of my hardware that was not supported in 8.04, had partially working drivers in 10.04.
10.04 would not install on one computer. It upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04 on another, with problems and lots of features missing. On another computer, it would not upgrade properly, so I tried a clean install. Still had all of the same problems.

With 8.04 coming to an end, and 10.04 not cutting it, I began trying other Distro's.
But I was not enough of a Geek to get any of them working properly.
And following MAN pages is nearly impossible for me, might as well be Greek.

I finally did a full clean install of 10.04 on my main computer, got all the serious bugs out of it, but was not at all happy with the built-in choices they made for things I used daily. Both the volume control and clock were horrible, no quality like 8.04 had. Ubuntu was going downhill. But I stuck with them!

When they released 12.04LTS I waited. I had not heard one good thing about it by desktop users. Cell Phone users loved it, and those with little toy computers, not much more than a glorified cell phone. I still waited!

One of my computers with 10.04 from a clean install I had tweaked as much as possible and actually avoided using it, except for surfing the web. OK, after two years, I finally hit the UPGRADE Button. The upgrade FAILED Miserably. Wipe the Hard Drive and start over. Downloaded the 12.04LTS64 and installed it. Made my computer look like a friggin' cell phone. But I gave it a chance. I left it with the Unity Desktop for a full month, trying to do things on it daily. Unfamiliarity was one obstacle to overcome. After all, it was a new type of system. The problem was, even after spending hours trying to do things, each thing I did figure out to do, still took ten times longer.

I changed UNITY to Gnome and got some of my familiarity back. Finally I could at least use the computer to get some work done. However, features that I consider a Must Have were totally absent from Ubuntu now. Many programs I needed I had to get from repositories other than Canonical or Ubuntu, which also caused additional problems.

I decided to give Debian a try. I did have Debian 5 on an old computer. Some young kid, 1000 times more knowledgable than I ever will be, helped to get it up and running and all dependencies and programs functioning properly. But what I like best was I was not locked into Ubuntu's choices and could replace almost anything I wanted. The young kid showed me how! I could have never figured it out on my own!!!!!

I can do this, I thought to myself. So I downloaded the ISO for Debian 6 - 32 bit and installed it on an old 512 meg computer. I did OK, and wrote down every step I had to take to get everything working. Loved using that old machine. But not enough memory for some of the things I wanted to do.
NOW I am BRAVE!
I downloaded the ISO for 64 Bit Debian 6 for my next to newest computer.
Nothing, and I mean that literally; nothing in 64 bit installed the same as on the 32 bit version.
ALL of my notes were useless! I spent days on the Web searching for answers, AND how to do this or that.
But I prevailed! I finally had that machine up and running perfectly, AND exactly the way I wanted it.
I began using this machine to do most of my work on. It was a joy to use.

Before I change my main computer, I wanted a little more practice, so began loading Debian 6 on my other machines. Got them all humming and finally attacked my main machine.
The install went great. I got Samba, Nautilus-Share, and all the dependencies, users and passwords, etc. set up. But forgot about SMBFS. Back to the Web, where I quickly ran through my checklist and saw it was missing.

Unlike Ubuntu, nothing is installed in Debian. So I needed certain fonts and a few other things, like Flash.
However, instead of taking days, as before, I had my main machine running and everything I used installed and working.

Since then, I have simply been Cleaning-Up from the way I was forced to do things on Ubuntu.
In Debian, I could get back a feature, the way it was on Ubuntu 8.04 NO SWEAT.
And I've even found some features that are more configurable than they were on Ubuntu.

I'm still far from being a Geek, I muddle along and stumble along. And if any time lapses from when I last did something, I have to learn it all over again.
I still have Ubuntu and can boot into it. I sometimes do to see if I can change something on it, because I really would like to stick with them. Trouble is, they have become bloated and slow, compared to Debian.

I've mentioned this before. I bought the frau a Netbook. It came with Win7. And TO DATE, we cannot figure out how to change the WORKGROUP (they call homegroup) to access our LAN. Even she hates Win7. So, since it does have a 320 gig hard drive. I shrunk Win7 and divided the drive into partitions. Gave WinXP 100 gigs in partition 2 and made partition 3 an extended partition and Installed Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome as partition 5 and swap as 6. Partition 4 is formatted NTSF and used only for current Data. Makes it easy to copy to the file server with Rsync. Or to the NAS when she's in range of the WiFi.
I still don't use it for much. She bought a mouse and is considering buying both a keyboard and mouse. How people work on these laptops, even with full size keyboards, is beyond me. The most awkward way of working I've ever tried using.

I don't have, don't want and don't need a DumbPhone (aka SmartPhone).
And I DO NOT want my computer to be Dumbed Down to such a low level!!!!!

OK, off my soapbox.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers