Just Call Me, "The D* Pod Slayer!"

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Just Call Me, "The D* Pod Slayer!"

Postby kg » 03 Mar 2013, 19:17

I don't know what it is, but I seem to have gained the dubious title of, "The Diaspora Pod Slayer." I know it's only two, but every pod I've joined has gone down for the count. :doh:

It all started with Seren.dipito.us. It started to go downhill there at the last, which is the reason I started an account with Calispora, a fairly well-established pod (I thought!). Now, Calispora has been down for nearly 2 days, and I find it just above Seren.dipito.us on the list of pods that are down or have issues. That's on the Diaspora Pod Uptime list. I'm a pod killer! :shifty:

Something interesting I found on podupti.me...it seems that, along with the 'table' list, there is also a map view of some of the pods showing their physical locations. I found two fairly near me. Of all things, the nearest is located in St. Louis. Unfortunately, it seems to be a Spanish language pod. https://diaspora.juntadados.org/ Doesn't do me any good.

The other one gave me a bit of a surprise. Diasp.org is a fairly busy pod, and has been around almost from the beginning. What surprised me most, though, is its location. I always assumed it was located in California, but it isn't. It's located in Kansas City, MO. Before much longer, it may be the next pod I 'kill'. :twisted:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Just Call Me, "The D* Pod Slayer!"

Postby Yogi » 03 Mar 2013, 20:21

And there aren't too many of us left here ... [ img ]
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 04 Mar 2013, 14:45

I usually hit Calispora every day. It was up early Sunday morning. Then today it said the connection request was "rejected".
That often means a web site is down.
I'll check my old one and see if it is up.
Nope, they are still down too. On that one, I think the guy running it graduated from skewl and has to work for a living now.

FWIW: There has not been much going on there in the past several months, only takes a minute or two to scroll through my long list of tags.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 04 Mar 2013, 18:20

Still down, too. I'm going to have to do a bit of research and find out if there's a place that might have information on pods that have gone down. Calispora is a popular public pod, and I kind of wonder what brought and is keeping it down for an extended period of time.

For that matter, I wonder why Serendipitous is down. There needs to be a central 'blog kept where news on the various and sundry pods can be posted by the Admins. I'm sure there are many besides me that are concerned when their favorite pod goes down for an extended period. If the pod is popular enough, members might pull together and bring it back up, if possible.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 04 Mar 2013, 18:29

That didn't take long, although it didn't do me much good. It seems that Diaspora has a forum, but the forum is broken right now. Diaspora Forum

Except for the external links, everything I click on gives me the following message:

Fatal error: Memcache is not installed in [path]/includes/class_datastore.php on line 185

More fun and games! :doh:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 04 Mar 2013, 21:23

I found definitive information on Calispora:

Oops! Calispora.org is on temporary vacation.

Apparently, a year of virtually uninterrupted uptime took it's toll, and the calispora server decided to have a nervous breakdown over the weekend. It will take a little while to patch things back together. Sincerest apologies and thanks so much for your patience.

I am working diligently to restore service as soon as I can.

Your friendly and currently devastated podmin,
Dave Yingling

No such luck on serendipitous...guess it's been to long. That, or it was dropped (but not from podupti.me).
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 05 Mar 2013, 11:47

I just linked up with "joinDiaspora" but it hasn't pulled my old stuff in yet.

It should, when I moved from mipod.us or mipodus, whatever, calispora pulled all of my stuff in.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers