LibreOffice 4.0 Released

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

LibreOffice 4.0 Released

Postby kg » 07 Feb 2013, 14:55

The fine people at Libre Office have released version 4.0, a major release with many cool new features:

New Features Released in Our Latest 4.0 Version.

Very nice! :mrgreen:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: LibreOffice 4.0 Released

Postby Yogi » 08 Feb 2013, 07:34

The collaboration (Cloud computing) and the theme features look interesting. I haven't installed it yet but will do so some time today on my Windows machines.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 08 Feb 2013, 13:22

I just installed Firefox 18 on my Debian machine. Surprised it worked so well.

The thing bugging me right now is, when I set Debian up on another machine, I kept notes of each thing I had to install and get working. Especially file sharing.

Same Debian disk, different machine, I've yet to get file sharing to work and the steps I wrote down to do the last machine, don't work on this machine. Hmmmmm. wonder why?

One other confusing issue is on the first Debian machine, if I hit facebook, no problem with text. On this second machine, the same text that appears properly on one, is nothing but empty square boxes. Obviously a font is missing. I installed all the fonts in Synaptic, including texlive, both sets. That didn't do it. Time to remove them. I think what I may do is copy the fonts folder from the working machine to this one and see what happens, hi hi.....

I don't like Ubuntu 12.04 very much, although using it with Gnome helps. And 10.04 (this machine) is going to expire and go the way of the perfect 8.04.)

Things I HAD to learn to do, I have now forgotten, from disuse. Even in Administrative Mode, I don't have the necessary permissions and should go see the Administrator for same, hi hi.... Passwords not recognized, even after putting them in the files they belong in. In other words, I have to learn everything all over again, the hard way.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 08 Feb 2013, 18:48

I'm sorry to learn you are having so much trouble there Gary. Usually you Linux experts never experience problems because I get them all. LOL

I have Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as my main OS on the laptop. I also have a copy of it on a memory stick along with Ubuntu 12.10. Likewise, I have a virtual machine for Ubuntu 12.10 and CR OS in my Windows 7 desktop host system. The laptop has a special version of Debian and CR OS Linux (Google's Chrome OS on openSUSE Studio), and I'm happy to report that Libre Office installed effortlessly onto all those devices via their respective repository update systems. Ubuntu 12.10 was particularly easy in that all I had to do was hit the Updater on the launchpad and voila. Then again, I pretty much use the default fonts. I don't have a need for anything special.

I have noticed that there are nuances in the way Ubuntu "clean" installs on different devices. I can't explain why my stick has the login audio announce while the laptop does not in spite of the setting being identical on both devices.

Anyway, good luck learning Linux again. I made a spreadsheet with the steps I must go through for a clean install. It's complete with web page links and command line instructions. Works every time. Also, ever since Ubuntu's last LTS release, I have no need to set up the file sharing on my NAS. It just works; Windows shares and all. :grin:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 09 Feb 2013, 00:06

Well, I found out a few things concerning LibreOffice 4. It concerned me that all I could find for Linux was tar.gz files, until I looked closer. There are installers for two installers...deb and rpm. I was thinking, "yeah, well, tarballs will install on any distribution." What I failed to notice was that the two files were "deb.tar.gz and rpm.tar.gz, respectively. The 'tar' command is a type of 'zipping' file, where mutliple files can be zipped together to be uncompressed, while the 'gz' component is the compression method used.

Inside the main installation tarball were several .deb files, meant to be installed with the command, "dpkg -i *.deb", which installed all the packages in one sub-directory, then switch to another to install the desktop files to integrate it with the desktop.

Ubuntu Unity users aren't yet very lucky. LibreOffice 4.0 doesn't play well with Unity, and it seems they don't think it will until the 13.04 release. From the conversation (in the forums), I don't think they're sure it will work even then. Maybe.

While I have yet to try it under Mint (not Unity), I've had no such compunction installing it to Debian. It seems to work perfectly. While I have yet to try it out...especially some of the new features...I'm sure it's going to work perfectly.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 09 Feb 2013, 01:05

You got me curious about Libre Office, so I looked into what was installed on all my above mentioned systems. Libre Office 4.0 was not among them. They are all sitting at version 3.6x. Be that as it may, I never had to install a tar ball yet for any of my office software, but who knows? Maybe version 4.0 will be different.

tar is a UNIX utility from back in the days when they used tape archive for backup. The files are not compressed in a .tar file. The .gz extension, on the other hand, is a file using GNU Zip compression. Thus, .tar.gz is a collection of compressed files. I have no idea what .deb means. :mrgreen:

And just as a side note, Windows uses a .exe installer. Once click on the download and voila! I'm guessing the problem is that Java is not fully supported on Linux, but I am wondering what changed between versions.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 09 Feb 2013, 02:01

Yogi wrote:You got me curious about Libre Office, so I looked into what was installed on all my above mentioned systems. Libre Office 4.0 was not among them. They are all sitting at version 3.6x. Be that as it may, I never had to install a tar ball yet for any of my office software, but who knows? Maybe version 4.0 will be different.

It's not difficult at all, as long as you follow the supplied instructions, in this case on the LibreOffice site. I doubt that the Windows version will be in a tarball, but in an .exe file. Oh, and I'm not surprised that 4.0 isn't on your systems. It just came out very recently.

Yogi wrote:tar is a UNIX utility from back in the days when they used tape archive for backup. The files are not compressed in a .tar file. The .gz extension, on the other hand, is a file using GNU Zip compression. Thus, .tar.gz is a collection of compressed files. I have no idea what .deb means. :mrgreen:

Exactly, and I don't think I explained it properly. The "tar.gz" file for LibreOffice contains several files, most of which are .deb files. As an archiving (i.e., backup) file, it places its contents in various directories, creating them if necessary.

The .deb files are the actual installers, meant to be used in a Debian system using the 'dpkg' command, as well as 'apt-get', if necessary. The '.rpm' files are the same thing, except for Red Hat/SUSE/etc. that use YUM (Yellowdog Updater, Modified) instead of APT (Advanced Packaging Tool).

Yogi wrote:And just as a side note, Windows uses a .exe installer. Once click on the download and voila! I'm guessing the problem is that Java is not fully supported on Linux, but I am wondering what changed between versions.

Yes, I know. In fact, an .exe file can contain multiple files itself, as in multiple installers that are unpacked and run to install various software and files. I used to create such executable unpacking files with Win Zip, when they finally came out with that functionality.

As far as Java functionality, I think Oracle just decided to cut back on support for Linux. I'm not sure what the story is. Or maybe I'm thinking about Adobe Flash Player. I don't have Java itself installed, though Javascript comes with almost every browser.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 09 Feb 2013, 07:52

Oracle bought Open Office when they snapped up Sun Microsystems. I was Using Open Office at the time and soon discovered that Oracle abandoned all support and future development. That's when I switched over to Libre Office which is published by The Document Foundation. Apparently a lot of developers got fed up with Oracle and started their own office suite development organization.

I know little about the innards of Open Office or Libre Office, but It's my understanding that a lot of it's functionality is based on Java programming. You may not have the Java SDK installed, but I'm pretty sure there is no way to run Libre Office other than by using Java.

As you may or may not be aware, there has been a lot of hub-bub regarding security failures involving Java. For this reason FireFox has disable Java in all it's browsers prior to the latest release, update 11. The Homeland Security people also issued a warning that every computer users should disable Java installations prior to update 11. All this has happened within the last month or two. Knowing how much lag there is in the Linux open source development community, I have no doubt that they are behind the curve when it comes to updating Java related issues. It would not surprise me in the least to learn that this lag is the reason Libre Office 4.0 won't work in Linux. I will be updating my Windows installations to see what happens there, but I don't expect to see Libre Office on any of my Linux repositories until around the 4th of July. :grin:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 09 Feb 2013, 11:14

Glenn, it is easier to either add Backports if you want the latest version.
But it is safer to use the Libre PPA repository.

One thing I've learned about Synaptic, even if you select Remove Everything, it doesn't.
I always jump into Terminal and use AUTOREMOVE to get rid of the stuff Synaptic misses.

As far as I know on Libre, you MUST remove ALL of the old version before loading the new version, else it has problems.

Good Luck!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 09 Feb 2013, 11:18

For Yogi - I'm NO Linux expert. I stumble along like all new users.

To get things working, I use the web to find the answers.
And after making several mistakes, once I do get everything working, I reformat the partition and start all over again, using the info to get it right this time.
I may still have to do that because SOMEHOW the name of my DOMAIN was changed to my WORKGROUP NAME.
So when another computer goes to Network Places, they see one computer listed as the same as the Workgroup. Strange!
I'm pretty sure I did this when installing Debian. So a clean install AGAIN is probably in order, so I don't have old stuff hanging around to mess things up later.

I do however, like Debian, even if I don't have enough Smarts to set it up properly from the git go!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 09 Feb 2013, 15:54

I just installed Libre Office 4.0.0.3 in my Windows 7 environment. The download took about 3-4 minutes and the install was under 5 minutes. As expected, one click on the archive file got the install wizard going and the rest was automatic. As a point of interest, I did not have to remove Libre Office 3.6 before installing Libre Office 4.0. All my settings from the old installation transferred flawlessly as far as I can tell. And as a follow up to Gary's comment, there was nothing to relearn. Just click and go. That doesn't mean there are no problems, but I have not found any yet. :lol:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 10 Feb 2013, 02:30

Well, this promises to be one of my longer posts:

Yogi wrote:Oracle bought Open Office when they snapped up Sun Microsystems. I was Using Open Office at the time and soon discovered that Oracle abandoned all support and future development. That's when I switched over to Libre Office which is published by The Document Foundation. Apparently a lot of developers got fed up with Oracle and started their own office suite development organization.

It might interest you to know that Oracle has started developing OO again. You can check the site out if you're curious.

Yogi wrote:I know little about the innards of Open Office or Libre Office, but It's my understanding that a lot of it's functionality is based on Java programming. You may not have the Java SDK installed, but I'm pretty sure there is no way to run Libre Office other than by using Java.

It is. There is more than one 'Java' out there, though. From the LibreOffice website:

If you run Linux, the GCJ Java variant has known issues with LibreOffice, we advise to e.g. use OpenJDK instead.
Release Notes

That is what was installed by default under Debian Squeeze, so I had nothing to change in that area. The .deb files took care of the dependencies.

http://www.libreoffice.org/download/release-notes/As you may or may not be aware, there has been a lot of hub-bub regarding security failures involving Java. For this reason FireFox has disable Java in all it's browsers prior to the latest release, update 11. The Homeland Security people also issued a warning that every computer users should disable Java installations prior to update 11. All this has happened within the last month or two. Knowing how much lag there is in the Linux open source development community, I have no doubt that they are behind the curve when it comes to updating Java related issues. It would not surprise me in the least to learn that this lag is the reason Libre Office 4.0 won't work in Linux. I will be updating my Windows installations to see what happens there, but I don't expect to see Libre Office on any of my Linux repositories until around the 4th of July. :grin: [/quote]

I don't know about all that, but with the above information, you might see it sooner. Apparently, Linux doesn't necessarily use the Sun/Oracle/whatever Java, but an open source version, which I'm sure the Linux devs are working frantically on (if they haven't already resolved it).

Kellemora wrote:Glenn, it is easier to either add Backports if you want the latest version.
But it is safer to use the Libre PPA repository.

AFAIK, LibreOffice doesn't maintain a repository as such, just a set of .deb or .rpm files. At least, I haven't seen any reference to any. In fact, somewhere on the site, it suggests installing it from the distro-specific repos, rather than relying on installation (from source, I think). I don't even think it's Backported, yet. If you know of some PPAs, post a link.

Kellemora wrote:One thing I've learned about Synaptic, even if you select Remove Everything, it doesn't.
I always jump into Terminal and use AUTOREMOVE to get rid of the stuff Synaptic misses.

Oh yes, don't I know it! I don't know how many times I battled with that in the early days, and wonder why things always loaded back with configuration files, etc., still in play. "But I told it to completely remove It!" :bleh:

As far as I know on Libre, you MUST remove ALL of the old version before loading the new version, else it has problems.

I'm not sure. I'm sure that's best, lest some configuration file be left over and accessed accidentally. I didn't have that problem in Debian, since I didn't have LibreOffice installed in the first place, as you well know! :P

Kellemora wrote:To get things working, I use the web to find the answers.

Same here. Yogi doesn't call me a "researcher of obscure technical data" for nothing, you know! :lol:

Kellemora wrote:And after making several mistakes, once I do get everything working, I reformat the partition and start all over again, using the info to get it right this time.

I'm finding myself having to do that less and less. Most of the time, I do it out of laziness; it's easier to just reinstall it right than it is to hunt down the answer to the problem and correct it. :shifty:

Kellemora wrote:I may still have to do that because SOMEHOW the name of my DOMAIN was changed to my WORKGROUP NAME.
So when another computer goes to Network Places, they see one computer listed as the same as the Workgroup. Strange!
I'm pretty sure I did this when installing Debian. So a clean install AGAIN is probably in order, so I don't have old stuff hanging around to mess things up later.

There has to be a way to change the workgroup name, but I'm too lazy to look it up! :lol:

Kellemora wrote:I do however, like Debian, even if I don't have enough Smarts to set it up properly from the git go!

Same here, though I haven't used it very much as yet. I still intend to install the Wheezy Beta and change the "/etc/apt/sources.list" file to testing, at least on my desktop where it won't do much harm. Use Debian enough, and eventually you'll acquire the smarts. You might even install Slackware or Arch! :shock:

:prof:

In the mean time, I really need a new monitor for my desktop. The one I have is over 10 years old, and while it's flat screen, it's.....over ten years old! It's just about to go out; I don't turn it off now, because it has problems coming back on. It eventually does, but you know how that goes! I had two of these, and the other one went out a couple or so years ago.

Besides, it's the old screen...I wouldn't mind having one of the new wider screen monitors.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 10 Feb 2013, 04:02

One additional thing:

Kellemora wrote:One other confusing issue is on the first Debian machine, if I hit facebook, no problem with text. On this second machine, the same text that appears properly on one, is nothing but empty square boxes. Obviously a font is missing. I installed all the fonts in Synaptic, including texlive, both sets. That didn't do it. Time to remove them. I think what I may do is copy the fonts folder from the working machine to this one and see what happens, hi hi.....

:mrgreen:

I don't like Ubuntu 12.04 very much, although using it with Gnome helps. And 10.04 (this machine) is going to expire and go the way of the perfect 8.04.)

Things I HAD to learn to do, I have now forgotten, from disuse. Even in Administrative Mode, I don't have the necessary permissions and should go see the Administrator for same, hi hi.... Passwords not recognized, even after putting them in the files they belong in. In other words, I have to learn everything all over again, the hard way.

TTUL
Gary

Have you installed "ttf-mscorefonts-installer"? It's in the repos. Then you'll need to change the default font in FF. That should get you up and running.

AND, BTW...I just tried the most important feature (to me)...the "comment on text" feature. Works perfectly! It works much the same as the comment feature on Adobe Reader/Acrobat. Leaves the body of the text alone, and comments on whatever portion you indicate. :dance:

Next, Mint Cinnamon. If I can get it working there... :cool2:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 10 Feb 2013, 08:07

Comments are good, and I added a "persona" as well. LOL LibreOffice is looking a lot like one of those social network sites now. I might just go back to plain vanilla unless I can find something more eye appealing.

So far 4.0 is looking good. It reminds me A LOT of Microsoft's Office Suite as I remember it back in 1997 - the last version of it I ever used. For my purposes I don't think it's worth the effort to install it in any of my Linux boxes until it hits the repositories. Most of my correspondence is done via Windows.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 10 Feb 2013, 12:16

Well, I'm now moved over to Debian 6 Squeeze, doing everything from it now. It is very fast compared to Ubuntu.
I fixed the fonts by moving my entire font folder from Ubuntu 10.04 over to Debian, and also placed my special proprietary fonts in the same place, instead of under /home/gary.

The browser I prefer, Chromium for most things, has numerous issues in Debian, never encountered in Ubuntu.
However, it's not all the fault of Chromium. Google Chrome has HIJACKED the Chromium browser, so you cannot add any extensions. I did a test to see if it was Debian or Ubuntu by opening a new copy of Chromium and tried to install the extensions and had the exact same problem. It took me to the Google Store instead of installing the extension.
Chromium does not recognize the new wbp image files either. They work in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but not Chromium.
So, I guess I will have to forgo using Chromium, pshaw.....

Spent part of today setting up my bookmark bar in a new way, using folders. Saves space and is well organized that way.
I don't know yet if when I save passwords for a particular website, if it recognizes which folder I accessed that website from. If it does, that would be a boon also.

I maintain web sites for my company, for myself, under my pen names, and under an alias.
So I have always kept links in a particular order in my bookmark folder.

I did copy my e-mails hidden folder, in its entirety from Ubuntu to Debian and it worked perfectly, nary a hitch.
It was a large file too, almost 6 gigs.

Other than wbp files and chromium problems, everything else works better than on Ubuntu, so I is happy.
FWIW: I immediately deleted Unity and installed Gnome when I upgraded to 12.04. There were numerous things present in 8.04 that I had come to love and use daily, that never appeared in 10.04 or 12.04. And there were no packages to get to reinstall the version I wanted.

Still don't know why I couldn't get hardly anything to work right under Mint Maya Mate.

On a side note: I play FreeCell during short breaks. I preferred the version of FreeCell that came shipped with Ubuntu 8.04
When I upgraded to 10.04, I copied the independent FreeCell from Aislerot to the 10.04 folder. Worked great. However, it would not work in 12.04 for some reason. So I was stuck with the Super Ugly new version.
Debian is using the same version that was found in Ubuntu 8.04, which renders properly and looks nice. So I didn't have to play around trying to find a way to get the one I liked working. It works as expected and looks perfect.
In 12.04 the FreeCell cards are wider than they are tall, no matter how much you mess with the settings to change that.

FWIW regarding Open Office Writer. They possibly may have stopped supporting it, but upon installing Debian and using OOwriter for half a day, I received an update notice, which opened the auto-update window and OO was updated automagically. Don't know if this is a new update, or just an update since I burned the install disk a while back.

Now that everything is working, I'm liking Debian a lot better than Ubuntu!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 18 Mar 2013, 14:49

Time for an update:

I've been doing some major upgrades to my computer. Essentially I had the motherboard converted to a 64-bit processor and added a third hard drive which is dedicated to ... LINUX. :grin:

For the time being Ubuntu 12.10 is installed on that third drive. There are adventures yet to be documented about that, but the one I wish to address here is in regard to Libre Office. I discovered an interesting web site that will generate a custom list of repositories for you: http://repogen.simplylinux.ch/ Among the ones I chose was the LibreOffice repository. After it was added to my sources, and Synaptic run, a new version of LibreOffice was installed. The version number ... 4.0.1.2 I'm running Ubuntu with that crazy Unity desktop, which some folks said would never work with this software. But guess what? It IS working and I have yet to find a problem.

As a side note, I tried using the Update Software tool in Unity and it could not install LibreOffice in it's entirety. That's why I tried it with Synaptic. I guess SOME things are better done the old way.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 19 Mar 2013, 11:42

I have a hunch, as touch screens become more popular, and their prices drop, that programs like Unity will fare better than they do right now.
However, this will leave me in even more of a dilemma. Trying to find non-touch-screen monitors.

I have custom built computer desks, where the monitors sit under the desktop. I view them through a glass in the desktop.
For me this is the most comfortable way to work. I'm at my computer more than 10 hours a day, often longer.

Now that I've set up or re-set-up 3 machines with Debian, having all the steps down pat. I gave Linux Mint Maya Mate another chance, since it was still on one of the HD's. I wanted to see if I could get it working right too.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out Why things just don't work on it. I messed around last night until bedtime and never figured out some of the things about it.
Something as simple as getting DropBox up and synced became a nightmare. Had to use terminal for most of setting it up.
I actually had this same problem on the 3rd Debian machine I was trying to set-up too. It wouldn't work from a terminal set-up, but it worked perfectly when I used Gdebi, which Mint wouldn't let me do for some reason.

On Repositories. I forgot to turn on two that I needed, and lost a whole hour trying to install or update a couple of Plug-Ins.
One would think on a Fresh Clean Install, that a Plug-In would have the latest version downloaded.
I have Flash 11.2 on my first computer with Debian, no problems. But the new install had 11.1.
I downloaded the new one, extracted the .so file created the folder for it, no luck, didn't work.
Rebooted, still didn't work. Started looking at my repositories and saw the one for flash wasn't turned on.
It was only 1 click to do that. Then the little yellow light bulb appeared on my upper panel.
Clicked it and it installed the newest version for me. Now it works, and in Chromium too. Amazing.
I guess that is what the package maintainer do is keep things humming along properly.

It still bugs me that the upgrade made the exact same folder and installed the exact same file that I did by hand.
But now it's recognized and before it wasn't. Linux don't have Registry Files, or do they?

In any case: All of my Debian computers are now humming along quite nicely, Mint is still dead in its tracks and Ubuntu is now History.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 19 Mar 2013, 12:42

Kellemora wrote:It still bugs me that the upgrade made the exact same folder and installed the exact same file that I did by hand.
But now it's recognized and before it wasn't. Linux don't have Registry Files, or do they?

No registry in Linux, but they do have permissions. I spent an hour trying to install video drivers before I figured out that the downloaded file was not executable. I had to add that permission manually. Same goes for directories and file access. There are groups whose permissions are set independently. Perhaps your permissions as an installer are not the same as those allotted to the root/system group.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 20 Mar 2013, 10:28

I install most system stuff as Root, rather than placing it in a /home or /user directory.
That way it is available to all users.
CHOWN keeps everything available.

Now, once the system knows to look at a file in a certain place, then I can change that file to the upgraded version and it works.
The particular file in question that I was trying to add was libflashplayer.so
The Plug-In list showed it installed as version 11.1; however, I could not find it anywhere on the system.
I even used terminal with "locate" and it did not find it.
I searched for the usual folders .mozilla/plugins - /usr/lib/flash-plugin-nonfree/, etc.
I created a folder identical to the one on my other Debian computers /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/ and placed the .so file into it. Didn't work. So perhaps some type of symlink is automatically created.
When I took the install file from the older computer and copied it to the newest install computer and used Gdebi, it installed and was there, version 11.1 which is what I used first. THEN I simply changed the .so file to the newer one and it worked.

One thing I really really really like about the Linux file system over Windows, has to do with Fonts.
Although there are several places where you can have Fonts folders. The very fact you can keep your font groups in separate folders is a godsend to me.
Besides my own proprietary fonts, I also have client owned fonts.
And I can set those folders CHOWN to only certain programs, groups or users.
I cannot submit my works for publication using non-free fonts, or to some publishers using proprietary fonts, even though I hold the license for use in publications.
And if a friend sits down to write a letter on my computer, as guest, they will not see any non-free or proprietary fonts in the listing of fonts they can use.
By the same token, if I sit down to do tri-fold for an old client, I log-in under that clients name and have all of their fonts and the templates already set up to do the work.
No matter how I tried to do things like this on the Windows platform, everything was always available, unless I used external media to hold the clients data. This is why I had so many old 5-1/4 floppies with only one font set on each. Later moved to CD's.

I'm no computer geek! It may be a simple matter for some folks to figure things out, but not for me.
I even had my Workgroup name mixed up with my Computer name for a short time on the new installs.
Which actually BROKE the LAN until I straightened out the mess.
We get this pop-up window that asks for HOST NAME and shows my Internet Connection Host under it.
When I put my Workgroup name in this Host box, it brought down the LAN, by changing the computer name to the Workgroup name. Apparently you cannot have a computer by the same name as the workgroup. It was also confusing looking at the Places/Network and seeing all the computers named the workgroup name instead of their own name.

Yes I can foul up a wet-dream when it comes to computers, hi hi.......

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 20 Mar 2013, 13:46

You may not be a computer geek but you get into areas that many a system administrator doesn't tamper with. :mrgreen:

I'm guessing that anything that can be done in Linux can also be done in Windows, and vice versa. There is WINE in Linux and a Linux compiler in Windows. Thus the two OS-es are pretty much interchangeable these days. I've not found a situation where one system is incapable of mimicking the other, but then I don't have many special needs.

The counterpart operation is not always the same when you cross platforms. For example, I know you can restrict the use of fonts in Windows via individual profiles and group policies. It may not be as easy to set that up in Windows as it is in Linux, but the same thing can be accomplished in both systems. Each profile can be run in a separate virtual desktop simultaneously if you like, which is another thing both systems can do. Easier to do perhaps in Linux in that you don't need a third party application to do it.

People with degrees in networking have trouble setting up domains, and just because Microsoft chooses to call them workgroups does not change the complexity. It's a very precise world in Network-ville. Just one wrong bit and nothing works, be it open source or proprietary.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Next

Return to Personal Computers