5 Dilemmas of Linux Evangelists

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Postby kg » 29 Jan 2013, 14:35

This article seems to be a fair and equitable treatment of the subject. Perhaps some of the author's observations are slightly skewed, but I'll leave that assessment to the readers.

I'm an unabashed Linux user and Linux evangelist despite being platform agnostic (the industry where I work in requires a certain level of MacOSX and Windows proficiency). Although Linux evangelists make up a small percentage (even smaller than the alleged percentage of Linux desktop users) of computer users out there, there are still hazards to attempting to promote Linux. The difficulties aren't always associated with the freakishly crazy Mac worshipers who would skewer you at any negative comment about their beloved Apple devices:

kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: 5 Dilemmas of Linux Evangelists

Postby Yogi » 30 Jan 2013, 11:23

I get turned off by people who like to defend Linux on the grounds they they are getting bad PR from the Microsoft and Apple camps. I don't doubt that there is some spin out there, but there is a reason why in December of 2012 Linux represented only 1.2% of all installed operating systems.

It's not just me. People who have been in the game a long time have issues with Linux. Here is one of the more rational pans I've seen in recent times: http://www.zdnet.com/five-things-deskto ... 000003901/ In essence Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols has five criticisms of Linux in general
  1. Give independent software vendors (ISV)s more support.
  2. Slow down the pace of change.
  3. Work even harder to get low-level hardware vendor support.
  4. Pound on PC vendors' doors.
  5. Linux distributors need to take the traditional desktop seriously.
I can really empathize with item #3 in that my web cam has stopped working ever since the Linux kernel was upgraded back in 2011. It used to work prior to the leap forward, but apparently Linux developers are ahead of hardware developers and are not looking back.

Yes, Linux shines in the server category, but it's not going to replace UNIX in spite of the pricing argument. My experience with Linux is reminiscent of my "ham" radio days. Amateur radio was cool high tech in its day, but now there is the Internet and smart phones. Unlike the Linux crowd, nobody in the ham radio world is suggesting they will take over the way people communicate between friends and family.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers