Linux Server Vulnerability

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

Linux Server Vulnerability

Postby Yogi » 25 Jan 2013, 19:47

Hackers, the bad kind, are proud of their work. They are proud to the extent of publishing some of their misdeeds. The site linked to here is not new. It's been around since forever. Hacking is not new either. However, given some of the pro-Linux arguments I've heard lately, I think you Linux fans should be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

HACK THIS: http://www.zone-h.org/archive/notifier=Hmei7/page=1
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Linux Server Vulnerability

Postby Kellemora » 26 Jan 2013, 11:24

I took a scroll through ALL 50 pages posted.
The first thing I noticed is that there were very few websites running Windows servers, the vast majority were running Linux.
In fact, well over 80% of the web sites posted were running Linux, not the 1.2% you have laid claim to.

I also jumped to a few Mirrors to see what damage was claimed done to the web site.
In almost all cases, the web site itself was NOT HACKED. The IP was redirected to a hmei7's web site with a message that the web site was hacked by him/her.

To verify this, I went directly to the websites in question, and although I was using the list from todays date, most were up and running just fine. Of the dozen I checked, only 1 had not fixed the redirect of the IP address. Three had messages stating their IP address was rerouted by a hacker this morning, sorry for the inconvenience.

I don't see that this guy hacked anything, other than temporarily rerouting and IP address, long enough to make a mirror of what he had done.

He's probably some mentally disturbed wanna be, living on government dole, and has nothing better to do with his life than causing problems. But it doesn't look like he is smart enough to cause any real damage to any web site, of those I checked.
As I said, the only thing he did was reroute the IP addresses, so the Servers he claims to have attacked, he never did!

I have seen web sites that have been hacked by those who did get into the server, they do things like change the index page, or other more malicious activities. Of the web sites I checked, they didn't have to reload their servers, only have the redirect blocked.

Unless I missed something, that is the only thing I saw Hmei7 was able to do. Childish and Petty!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 26 Jan 2013, 15:06

The mirror sites are from xone-h.org not from the hacker. The type of damage the hacker caused is listed in the appropriate column. You are not likely to see exactly what the damage was done because the owner of the hacked web site has shut it down or rebuilt it by the time the report is issued.

Yes Linux runs servers, and those Linux servers are easy targets for serious hackers. Or if you prefer, easy targets for childish and petty hackers.

If you count up all the devices that hit the internet and look at their operating system, you will find only 1.2% of them are running Linux. I don't know how to simplify the explanation any further.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 27 Jan 2013, 13:00

Of all the different types of vehicles on the road, only 1.2% of them use unpaved roads.

The internet IS the road! And yes I agree, of those with cars, most of them use the 4-wheeled gasoline type.

But it is DIESEL that built and maintains those roads.

I'll ask you one simple question. IF the internet is so unimportant that only 1.2% are using Linux.

WHAT IF every UNIX/LINUX SYSTEM was shut down tonight and ONLY Windows was allowed to continue running?

What percentage of the Internet would still be up and running in the morning?

You know the answer as well as I do. The internet would cease to exist until UNIX/Linux was turned back on!!!!!

To the best of my knowledge, their are no Hubs or Nodes running Windows!

It would be the same as ripping up 99% of the roads and highways in America!
Then what will those little Front Wheel Drive jobies have to drive on?

UNIX/Linux is the Backbone of the Nation. The majority of the folks who use it can run any system they want to, and most own Windoze computers, simply because it was the most highly marketed for decades. People don't change much, they use what they learned on, no matter how bass ackwards it may be, they are reluctant to change.

But all of those Windows computers would be basically useless, without UNIX/LINUX giving them something to use them on!
The days of using a computer stand alone from store bought software has been gone for over a decade.
People RELY on having an internet connection, a CONNECTION TO the World of LINUX! Or they ain't happy!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Personal Computers