apple quick time 9x

Questions, answers, and news related to computer hardware and software

apple quick time 9x

Postby Kate » 17 Aug 2007, 03:38

Can anyone tell me why I need apple quick time on my computer? the rotten thing won't update, gets nearly all the way through and then up pops a little window saying error error, this file won't be installed.

I have no idea what the program is used for, and will willingly uninstall it and throw it in the bin it I don't need it.

Thanks for any help give on this

Kate
Kate

Re: apple quick time 9x

Postby Yogi » 17 Aug 2007, 09:17

Quick Time (downloaded with iTunes now as well) is just a media player similar to Windows Media Player or Real Player. These helper applications are often added to your browser so that you may see web pages created using the specific software.

You really don't need any of them to make your browser work, but certain web pages have video embedded in them, for example, and you will not be able to see the clip unless you have the proper helper application installed. It's not a big loss in my opinion because only a relatively few sites use it.

Real Player, on the other hand, has proven to be misbehaved every time I've installed it, so I no longer allow it to be on my system. Too bad for those webmasters who use it. I'm not interested.
Last edited by Yogi on 18 Aug 2007, 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 17 Aug 2007, 13:12

ditto with real player. like get real...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Kate » 18 Aug 2007, 20:38

Thank you, one problem solved.

Yogi, I like windows Media Player, yes I know, one of the few :lol: however, anything I try to open always opens in Real Player, tiny little screen, hard to see even when I open 2X, if I threw Real Player out, how am I going to get WMP to take over. sheesh, I am dumb today :cry:

And one other question <duck> I have this new (for me) computer, Windows XP, it was my son's, and is only one year old. However, when he loaded it with all new programs, he had everything checked to load when the computer is turned on, constantly there are so many programs loading at the Start it's bogging the computer down. any idea how I can remove these programs from the Starting up process? I know there is a way, if I can just find the Start up menu. I loved 98, so simple lol
Kate

Postby Yogi » 18 Aug 2007, 21:52

This may not be what you want to hear, but I don't know of an easy way to do it in WinXP.
  • First of all, make sure Real Player is uninstalled. It's not absolutely necessary, but if you are not going to use it, get rid of it.
  • Then navigate to: START -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Folder Options
  • Open the File Types Tab. You will see a table of extensions | File Types
  • Highlight the first extension that uses Real Player. (MP4 for example)
  • Now click the Change button and you will be presented with a list of possible programs to use in place of Real Player. At this point it's a lot like Win98 used to be.
  • Repeat the above for all the extensions using Real Player.

There are a few ways to clean up the start-up programs. Most people use the Task Manager, but I find it to be obnoxious in WinXP, plus there are better ways to go about it.

Download and install CCLeaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
That stands for Crap Cleaner and it does so much more than Task Manager will do. CCleaner will get rid of a lot of crap from your computer and is fairly intuitive to use.
  • Run the Cleaner section and the Issues section to do a thorough job. You can check and uncheck items as you see fit.
  • Then go to the Tools section and Select STARTUP. This will show you a list of all the programs loading at startup.
  • Highlight the ones you don't want
  • Hit the Delete button.

Your computer will be about ten pounds lighter now. :grin:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kate » 18 Aug 2007, 23:09

Yogi, am I allowed to say I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you thank you, the clearest info I have ever seen, wheeeeeeeeeeeee, off I go to do it now, I even printed it out ;)
Kate

Postby Yogi » 19 Aug 2007, 00:08

Kate wrote:Yogi, am I allowed to say I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you thank you, the clearest info I have ever seen, wheeeeeeeeeeeee, off I go to do it now, I even printed it out ;)

It may be clear, and I hope it actually works. :P
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kate » 19 Aug 2007, 18:51

Yogi, you doubted your own instructions? :?: The crap cleaner is wonderful, my computer started up fully loaded before I had even made my cuppa, I am thrilled to the back teeth.
[ img ]

Real player I shall attack today :evil:
Kate

Return to Personal Computers