Atheist Humor?

Discussions of issues pertaining to atheism
Forum rules
-The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
-Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
-There is zero tolerance for flaming in this forum.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Atheist Humor?

Postby Yogi » 05 Jul 2014, 14:23

Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Re: Atheist Humor?

Postby pilvikki » 05 Jul 2014, 15:32

:lmao1:

funny thing, punkin just got her skull charms she ordered. for some reason she likes them. I've seen real ones, so maybe that's why i'm not that thrilled with them...?

[ img ]
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby AJRC » 28 Jul 2014, 06:50

AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 30 Jul 2014, 07:49

:lmao1:

[ img ]
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby JackGriffin » 30 Jul 2014, 12:10

:lol: Methinks - once again - that you 'unholier than thou' brigade - dost protesteth - too much! :lol:

:pirate2: :angel2: :dancer1:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Location: Described by Weatherman - as much further down. North of Watford Gap think London too elitist

Postby pilvikki » 31 Jul 2014, 20:13

it's fun! I certainly have suffered a fair deal about religious prosecution. namely by my holier than thou teacher preaching fire and brimstone for the 3 years I had that harridan. evil, miserable old bat!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby JackGriffin » 01 Aug 2014, 03:57

:grin: Play 'Jesu Heart of Man's Desiring' (also known as 'Crimond' - I believe!) byJ.S. Bach - guaranteed to sooth the savage breast! or Gounod's 'Ave Maria' - Absolutely beautiful! :lol: :angel2: :lol:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Location: Described by Weatherman - as much further down. North of Watford Gap think London too elitist

Postby pilvikki » 02 Aug 2014, 15:50

that ave maria is one of my very favourite pieces! :dance:

now, joe bach... can't remember which one that is, but easily remedied....

hm... crimond is something shepherd, so i'm listening to Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

:dancer2:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby JackGriffin » 06 Aug 2014, 06:36

:grin: Gounod's Ave Maria - although it is a sung 'prayer' - is 'made' by JS Bach's piano piece - Prelude No1 in C Major - in the background. One of a very few pieces of music - that makes me weep!

Toccata & Fugue - very stirring & surprisingly simple - to play on yr organ!

Get the Abbey habit - f**k a monk!

:pirate2: :twisted: :dancer1:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Yogi » 06 Aug 2014, 19:17

Not being well bred as the others here, I had to look up Ave Maria on Google. The Gounod's version is nothing like the one I heard in church when I was a church going person. I listened to the first two recordings that came up in my Google search.

I could not believe it was the same musical piece being performed in both videos. Anna is everything I'd expect a song of this quality to be. I apologize if I offend anyone, but Elena's rendition reminded me of Donald Duck. Amazing. Truly amazing.

This is the version I'm used to hearing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cF5GGqVWo
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 07 Aug 2014, 15:46

:grin: Your one is 'Schuberts version' - I believe. Callas - although a bit of a fiery lass - had the most amazing voice & I would listen to every one of her recordings - if I could. It is a sung prayer - but as I said - it is the JS Bach piano used as a 'background' on 'Gounods' version - that tears at my cynical old heartstrings. It was also my Mum's favourite. As with everything - 'tis all personal choice - one man's music - is anothers 'howling cacophony'! :grin:

I think - although I don't like all music - that it is rare to find 'bad' music - just music that I don't understand! I wish that I was able to understand how to post 'links'! As you have noticed - I am a moron where computers are concerned & can just about use one as a typewriter & stereo unit! If you have time - google 'Sheila Armstrong' - the Geordie Soprano who stopped singing in about 1999. I was Sheila's 'Toy Boy' & had a stormy but interesting marriage to her from 1974 to 1979. I was a drunken Detective who did not understand classical music - but she had an amazing voice & a beautiful 'fizog'! Such is life - My present w*fe has a voice akin to the fog-horn that stops ships foundering - upon the Goodwin Sands! I no longer drink!

:pirate2: :thud: :dancer1:
Last edited by JackGriffin on 07 Aug 2014, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Aug 2014, 15:56

Is this one by Maria Callas as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQVz6vuNq7s
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 07 Aug 2014, 16:14

:grin: Now you are just showing up my ignorance - oh perfect one! No - I don't believe that is Callas - it is a very good soprano but if you 'compare' - you will notice the difference. Whosover she is - English is her native tongue but I can't place the voice! She sounds very English but again - in my opinion - definitely not the late great Maria Callas! :grin:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Aug 2014, 16:20

No idea Jack. That's why I was asking. I think it's a good version, with a similarity to Maria, but ... obviously not, then.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 07 Aug 2014, 16:23

:grin: There is quite an argument raging - in the comments attached to yr link - but I agree with the 'No vote'. Again just my opinion - but I am perfect! :grin:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Aug 2014, 16:28

Didn't read them, but it didn't appear to say who the singer was did it?

You're a prefect, you say? : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 07 Aug 2014, 16:37

:grin: I was - at The London Nautical School' - but we were called something else! That's a point - 'Elsie' would suit y'better - than Gertrude - or Doris :lol:

I doigress! - No there are no other choices to ident the soprano - that I agree with. It's not my ex - she didn't record Ave Maria. Fine soprano voice on the recording & I shall 'shadow' the comments to see if the mystery is solved. Could be an American - but I lean more towards an English speaker! :angel2:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Aug 2014, 17:00

I shall reply to you on the music forum. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 07 Aug 2014, 17:09

:lol: Where on earth is that? I have time keeping up - in the 'peasants' columns! :lol:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Aug 2014, 18:41

It's a hard life for a man of your standing, isn't it? Ye gods ... oops! Is that atheist humour? Perhaps not. I'll retreat.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Next

Return to Atheism