Well, Atheism is a religion, too.

Discussions of issues pertaining to atheism
Forum rules
-The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
-Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
-There is zero tolerance for flaming in this forum.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Well, Atheism is a religion, too.

Postby Paris » 31 Aug 2013, 20:27

Have you ever heard someone say, "Atheism is a religion, too." ?

Some people do say that.

I love this quote by Ricky Gervais:

Saying that Atheism is a religion is like saying not going skiing is a hobby.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Re: Well, Atheism is a religion, too.

Postby pilvikki » 01 Sep 2013, 09:16

...or an empty glass is a drink?

can't quite grasp their logic myself. :think:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Yogi » 04 Sep 2013, 18:54

I can understand the sentiment behind the comment that atheism is a religion. Just look at our ongoing thread on that topic. By far the majority of replies are just as fanatical as any born again person I've ever met. That thread takes on the appearance of having a cult following instead of a reasoned discussion of the topic. So yeah, the atheists contributing there seem to be very religious about their non-beliefs.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Paris » 05 Sep 2013, 00:13

It's true that some Atheists appear to be mad at the world in general. It's like they're practicing radical Atheism or something.

Me - I went thru that stage. Just had to point out to the brain-washed dolts how stupid they were. How strange that no one wanted to have a civil discussion with me about anything, let alone something they held to dearly.

So - it's live and let live, I say.

I do, however, object to them brain-washing their children with their religious beliefs. But what can I do? It's up to everyone - once they can objectively think - to choose what they want to believe.

After all, I choose to believe we are all made up of energy, and that when we die, we just float into another dimension. That's just as crazy-sounding as just about any other religious belief I've heard.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Yogi » 05 Sep 2013, 06:54

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can change its form.

The total quantity of matter and energy available in the universe is a fixed amount and never any more or less.

You are on the right track with your belief. It's actually a factual law of physics. :mrgreen:

http://www.cartage.org.lb/en/themes/sci ... vation.htm
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 05 Sep 2013, 08:53

i doubt i'd have any energy left float anywhere...?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Yogi » 05 Sep 2013, 09:12

wellll ... since the total energy in the universe is constant, so it is with the energy associated with your body. You won't lose any of it, even if you die. Of course, losing it and using it are two different things. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Paris » 25 Sep 2013, 04:21

Yogi -- I hadn't given a thought about the Law of Conservation of Energy!

Thanks!
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby AJRC » 25 Sep 2013, 05:51

You hear this all the time, and they never realise how stupid they sound. How can not believing in something be a religion? I have faith there is no god, but I don't see my non belief as anything even remotely resembling a religion. I don't worship anything, i don't pray, i don't attend a church. I just don't believe in god, stop trying to put me in a group.

I think it all boils down to group think. Some religious people can't see individuals, they can only see groups. So the only way they can cope and direct their bile is to turn everything into a group. So Atheism becomes a group/religion so they can understand it.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 25 Sep 2013, 06:14

the very religious cannot grasp our view any more than we theirs.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Yogi » 27 Sep 2013, 19:35

Whether or not atheism is a religion boils down to semantics. There probably are just as many born again atheists as there are Christians, and they both go about preaching their ... mmm ... non-beliefs. Truth is you are in a group of like minded people when you are an atheist. Why bother to deny it if you are confident in your reasoning?
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Paris » 27 Sep 2013, 23:02

On my favorite TV show (The Big Bang Theory), two brilliant atheists meet for the first time (during an online-dating-site date) at a Starbucks. See what the woman says about deities. Funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBTlbO8Kto0
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby AJRC » 02 Oct 2013, 03:58

I didn't deny anything, Yogi. But I can see individual christians, there are a lot of christians who can't see individual Atheists. And it's not really semantics, it's just not believing in something is not a religion. I don't believe in Santa Claus, is that a religion? I don't believe in pixies or fairies, is that a religion. I don't believe in Flying Spaghetti Monsters shou...oh, hang on I do believe that. ;)

Should everything you don't believe in become a religion, I think not? I have faith, but by religions very definition I do not worship any higher power therefore I do not belong to a religion. It's a tactic that was used by the right wing extremists on talk forums for many years to try and define Atheism as a religion. It was almost as if they couldn't see me, they could only see what I believed in, same people seemed to be colour blind as well. :(
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 04 Oct 2013, 16:43

amy and sheldon... i was so busy laughing that i missed the whole thing. gotta go back and try to pay attention.

ah yes, a diety that takes attendance. yep, that's a good one. :lol:

as for "faking it", i don't really see it as important. i can perfectly cheerfully make an old lady happy by picking the wrong religion out of the hat to make her happythat i'm not "lost". as long it's not something totally off the wall, like catholism... i do have my standards. :shrug:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Return to Atheism