Athiest Thread.

Discussions of issues pertaining to atheism
Forum rules
-The emphasis here is on original comment and opinion by the poster.
-Article length Cut-and-Past posts are discouraged.
-There is zero tolerance for flaming in this forum.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Re: Athiest Thread.

Postby AJRC » 14 Oct 2013, 09:50

Yogi wrote:The image of Christ, for example, is not made to be a true representation of who He might have looked like.

I beg to differ. I take it you've never posted a picture of a black or Arabic looking christ on a right wing religious forum? Try it, after the very un-christian attacks have died down, see how many people honestly believe that christ was blond and white. It's all BS anyway, not one mention of what jesus looked like is to be found anywhere in the bible. Didn't god say "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image!"

I understand the symbolism of the fish and even the cross. But believing in a white christ is something I don't understand.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 14 Oct 2013, 10:05

You don't understand it because you hang out at those right wing evangelical web sites too often. Try visiting a few truly Christian web sites instead. You might be enlightened and even learn something.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 14 Oct 2013, 13:07

interesting what you find roaming aboutm viking opinion about jesus:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hvitkrst.shtml
    pilvikki
    Royal Poobah Penguin
    Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby AJRC » 15 Oct 2013, 09:58

Yogi wrote:Try visiting a few truly Christian web sites instead

Where's the fun in that? ;)

If they want symbolism, this would be more realistic. :grin:

[ img ]
    AJRC
    Oracle Class Poster
    Oracle Class Poster

Postby AJRC » 21 Oct 2013, 06:59

I want one. :grin:

[ img ]
    AJRC
    Oracle Class Poster
    Oracle Class Poster

Postby AJRC » 23 Oct 2013, 04:23

AJRC
    Oracle Class Poster
    Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 23 Oct 2013, 15:21

You know, with all the errors and contradictions contained in the official bible, they might as well have included the books of the Apocrypha. They contain no more contradictions, nor are they any less believable. In fact, a few of them are quite entertaining, such as "Bel And The Dragon." Perhaps there were dragons in our long-ago past! :mrgreen:

And yes...I've read many of the books of the Apocrypha. There are many books, and would take ages which I don't care to take to read them all:

The Apocrypha Index
    kg
    Honored 10k Club Member
    Honored 10k Club Member

Postby AJRC » 24 Oct 2013, 03:17

Just skimmed a few but will read later. Can see why they left out the part about Cain and Able wanting to do their own twin sisters!
    AJRC
    Oracle Class Poster
    Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 08 Nov 2013, 18:07

2. HUMAN: Is it TRUE that we MUST SIN, so Jesus didn't die for nothing??

GOD: Yes, it’s true. If you don’t sin and sin often then it means you’re being a frigging jerk to Jesus. Don’t be a jerk to Jesus. Get out there and do some damn sinning!
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby AJRC » 18 Nov 2013, 08:10

AJRC
      Oracle Class Poster
      Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 18 Nov 2013, 20:13

Thank goodness they found something that was child friendly!

Ever notice that child friendly passages are becoming harder to find as the years go by? Must be because America is becoming more and more Godless! ;)
      kg
      Honored 10k Club Member
      Honored 10k Club Member

Postby AJRC » 03 Jan 2014, 04:44

Sorry been away for so long, lots of things going on. But happy new year. :dancer2:

[ img ]
      AJRC
      Oracle Class Poster
      Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 05 Jan 2014, 10:51

pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby AJRC » 27 Jan 2014, 07:41

Sorry, been away again.

[ img ]
      AJRC
      Oracle Class Poster
      Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 27 Jan 2014, 17:58

[ img ]

what's this worth on your creep-o-meter?
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby kg » 28 Jan 2014, 22:06

kg
      Honored 10k Club Member
      Honored 10k Club Member

Postby AJRC » 29 Jan 2014, 08:17

That's very creepy, Vikki. A child will believe anything you tell it, that's why religious indoctrination is one of the most evil practices on Earth. What are christians so scared of? Do they think someone who grows up with a free mind won't believe in god, so they need to brain wash children to stop that happening? Sickening.

kg, i think i posted a while back the only difference between a crazy person and a fundamentalist christian is consensus. I remember seeing a quote saying "when you talk to god, you're religious, but when he talks to you, you're a psychopath."

Some thing we just learnt last night. A prestigious private school some of my eldest sons friends went to was in the news recently, the new head teacher has been asked to resign. We hadn't thought much of it until one of the girls my son knows came over last night. We just got chatting and i asked her why the head had been asked to leave, was it because he was no good. I had to laugh when she told us it was because he was a loony. She said the school itself was a christian school, but she said the head was incredibly puritanical, and started new rules in the school that were just crazy. He first banned all skirts above the knee. Then in assembly in front of all the years he had a power point explaining that teachers, doctors and nurses etc. would go to heaven but accountants and solicitors etc. would go to hell. Now bearing in mind this was quite an expensive school, so a lot of the kids parents would have been accountants and solicitors, some kids were understandably very upset.

The best he saved for last. He told the science teachers they were no longer allowed to teach evolution and the history teachers weren't allowed to teach about anything before 6000BC. The teachers had put up with him for 5 months but that was the last straw. They all walked out and wouldn't come back until he was gone. The board panicked and got rid of him instantly, which is why the press picked up on it. But the press would have a field day if they knew the truth, not sure why no one has said anything to the press.

Mmmmm, what's the Guardian's email address again? :devil:
      AJRC
      Oracle Class Poster
      Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 29 Jan 2014, 18:58

today we were stopped on the street in carcassonne by two girls, one of saying "oh, sorry to bother you, but you're canadian?"

yes, said pumpkin pointing at her hoodie with 4" letters saying CANADA.

we got talking and one was from nova scotia, the other from germanny. nice kids.

then i saw their tags... "sister xxxx" and "sister yyy" of the latter day saints. :shock: :shock: :shock: oy vey, but they turned out to be lovely young ladies who offered to help if we ever needed anything to talk about. that's all.

great. but what i couldn't figure out why they send missionaries to FRANCE - where you cannot get away from the church bells unless you're dead or deaf! come to think of it, not even then, but they won't bother you.

but i digress:

[ img ]
      pilvikki
      Royal Poobah Penguin
      Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby pilvikki » 29 Jan 2014, 19:37

...and back on subject! this gave me chills:

[ img ]
        pilvikki
        Royal Poobah Penguin
        Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby AJRC » 30 Jan 2014, 05:38

Just shows how purely evil some christians are, and the sad thing is they won't see their actions as being evil. They'll see themselves as avenging angels doing gods work by wanting to kill anyone who doesn't believe as they do. And i guarantee they will hate all Muslims, and none will see any similarities between themselves and the fundamentalist Muslims they themselves will claim are all evil. Most of the right wing loonies i've run across over my time on talk forums have all been christians, and all have been pure evil when i've questioned their beliefs.

Would a god want evil people such as this to worship him, i think not? Wouldn't it be funny if the next rapture, whenever the loonies come up with a new date, god comes down and takes all the Atheists and leaves the christians on Earth. :lol:

Just read this story on the BBC, couldn't believe my eyes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/25943051

A US police captain says he believed a story about a woman who claimed her children were possessed by demons.

Latoya Ammons, from Indiana, said her three children walked up walls, levitated and spoke in voices.

Official reports filed in 2012 backed up her claims, with psychologists stating that they saw the nine-year-old child speak in "different deep voices" and walk "up the wall backwards".

"He flipped over and landed on his feet," they added.

Gary Police Captain Charles Austin, who has more than 35 years of experience, said he had been convinced by the story.

According to a local newspaper, the Indianapolis Star, he described himself as a "believer" after visiting the house and interviewing Ms Ammons and her family.

Official Indiana state documents detail more events, apparently witnessed by medical experts and those outside the family.

The children's names were removed from the papers to protect their identities.

[The] children [may be] performing for the mother and... she's encouraging the behaviour

"Medical staff reported they observed the children and heard the seven-year-old making growling noises and his eyes rolled into the back of his head.

"They observed [name blank] lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him."

The report also detailed the time when the seven-year-old "walked up the wall" in front of a number of medical professionals.

"[Name blank] began to have a weird smile on his face and he charged at the grandmother's stomach and head butted her several times until she grabbed his hands and started praying.

"[He] was speaking in a different deep voice saying 'It's time to die,' 'l will kill you,' and staring around the room.

"[He] had the weird grin on his face and began to walk backwards while the grandmother was holding his hand and he walked up the wall backwards while holding the grandmother's hand and he never let go.

"He flipped over and landed on his feet in front of the grandmother and sat down in the chair."

At other times Ms Ammons said she saw her daughter "levitate" out of her bed, while the 12-year-old also reported being "thrown across the room and grabbed by dark shadows".

Elsewhere in the reports, it shows that an unnamed witness had suggested the "mother may have mental health concerns".

Whenever you would praise God in Latin, no reaction. But you start condemning the demon, condemning the evil spirit, all of a sudden she [the child] is reacting to that

They also said it may be that the "children are performing for the mother and that she's encouraging the behaviour".

The three children were removed from the family home by authorities after the reports were filed.

According to the Indianapolis Star, the day after the children were taken from Ammons, the hospital chaplain called on Rev Mike Maginot to carry out an exorcism on the children and their mother.

"Whenever you would praise God in Latin, no reaction," he said.

"But you start condemning the demon, condemning the evil spirit, all of a sudden she [the child] is reacting to that."

The children were returned six months later when the problems subsided.

There are now new tenants in the property and the landlord has not received any further reports of demonic possession.

I think the telling parts of this story are:

"mother may have mental health concerns"
        "children are performing for the mother and that she's encouraging the behaviour"

And they were returned after they started acting normally after being away from their mother for 6 months. The police captain might need to be put out to pasture, i think his grip on reality isn't what it was. And why the hell were the kids given back to this loony, they're still at an impressionable age, they will believe anything she does. She's going to turn them into carbon copy loonies just like herself.
        AJRC
        Oracle Class Poster
        Oracle Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Atheism