different president

Archive for the former Brain Formation debates forum
Forum rules
This forum is READ ONLY. New posts not allowed.

different president

Postby pilvikki » 23 Oct 2012, 07:37

with the million battling millions over US presidency, it's interesting to read about this one:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/21/uruguay-legal-marijuana-abortion_n_1998196.html?utm_hp_ref=world
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: different president

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Oct 2012, 08:27

That's very interesting. My own thoughts on the issues aside, I think his simplistic ideas - and knowing how the people really think - could work for the future of the country.

The abortion issue's a strange one, since Catholicism's the main religious avenue into which most Uruguayan children are baptised, but the country's also multi-ethnic, so President Mujica's stance on the subject probably helps a lot of women.

Novel ideas, but yes, interesting.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 23 Oct 2012, 11:06

i certainly did not expect that type of a leader for a S/A country! and a catholic at that. i'm wondering why them and not their neighbours - or vise versa?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Oct 2012, 12:25

I don't know, but he's been in jail and had time to listen to people and I love his simple approach to life. He's right really - a new car every couple of years? WHY? Give him another term and see what happens.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 23 Oct 2012, 13:44

i don't think he wants the job any more. pity....

maybe he could start seminars for folk like obama and king harper?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Oct 2012, 14:38

:lol:

Let's hope someone equally as in tune with the people takes over then.

What about the US? Are you bothered who gets in?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 25 Oct 2012, 06:47

pilvikki wrote:i don't think he wants the job any more. pity....

maybe he could start seminars for folk like obama and king harper?

While it may not always be intuitively obvious, I truly believe the government of a country is what the people want. Needs and wants change over time, and so do governments. Perhaps there is too much of a lag for the changes in leadership, but in the end people get what they want. Obama, or any other presidential candidate, is advocating what the people in his country want to hear. It would serve no useful purpose for Mujica to tutor our politicians because the existing drug and abortion laws are already where the people want them. Yes, there are those who want change, but the overwhelming vast majority of Americans are perfectly happy not being Uruguayan.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 26 Oct 2012, 04:35

well, i'm not sure about that... when the votesw are close to 50/50 as it has been lately, it's obvious to me that nobody's winning and nobody's happy.

canada tried for a third option and it split the vote and harper stayed in, yet NObody voted for him?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby kg » 27 Oct 2012, 14:02

He really doesn't like to give orders. He doesn't want to be the chief," Caetano said.

I have long held to the theory that the best person to lead a country is one who doesn't want the job (but is capable of doing it, of course!). At one time, I held to the tenet that we should adopt a sort of "draft," where the President and members of Congress, et. al., were drafted into those positions. I know such a system of election wouldn't work, of course, but it seems much preferable to electing who runs for the office.

One must question the motives behind running for office. Perhaps their motives are altruistic in the beginning, but all too often they either fall prey to greed and the desire for power, or it existed all along, with the attainment of office and the commensurate power as the motivation.

To me, President Mujica is a breath of fresh air in the midst of so much world-wide corruption.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Oct 2012, 11:35

Bring him over here.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Great Debates 2008-2012