mayan calender research

Pros and cons regarding the highly publicized end of the Mayan calendar on December 21, 2012
Forum rules
This forum is READ ONLY. New posts not allowed.

mayan calender research

Postby pilvikki » 24 Mar 2012, 15:44

the 2012 thingy was just an end of the short calendar for that cycle, no ending nothing else.

try again. :P
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Re: mayan calender research

Postby Yogi » 25 Mar 2012, 07:00

On Wednesday he presented his decoding of the inscription, suggesting that Bolon Yokte’s prophesied appearance on December 21, 2012, represents the start of a new era and not the end of days.
So it midnight of Dec 31/Jan 1 the end of a cycle or the beginning of a new one? For a scholar this guy has a long winded way of stating the obvious. I don't think Gronemeyer contributed anything to the debate.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Mar 2012, 18:16

True. It might've been more interesting to read about his studies as well, but I think the final line says it all: "The institute has long maintained that the Mayan calendar does not foretell the world’s destruction a year from now."
I agree.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 26 Mar 2012, 16:31

and even if it does...? :shrug: :shrug:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 26 Mar 2012, 17:02

Can't stop it if it IS going to happen, but I don't think so.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby brandtrn » 27 Mar 2012, 21:53

I don't think that the Mayans considered the "leap year" factor in their calculations...if they had, the world should have ended some time ago, I would think. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you think about it), we'll more than likely all be here on 22 December. I'm only hoping that my place of employment doesn't have some kind of freaking "disaster" drill planned for the eve of December 21, just as they did on New Year's Eve in 1999 (remember the Y2K scare?). I remember spending almost that entire night at work, prepared to do Heaven knows what, just in case everything all went to Hell in a handbasket. That was one wasted night, for sure...
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Mar 2012, 11:17

What was that about brandtrn?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 28 Mar 2012, 13:24

Back in the early days of computers the year portion of the dates was recorded as two digits. The 19xx part was assumed. So, when the new century mark came along (Y2K = year 2000), all those two digit dates caused a lot of concern because computers could not tell the difference between 1900 and 2000. For you and I that is no big deal, but for people who key off dates it was a disaster - think of banks paying interest, for example.

Since nobody knew what would happen to all the computers of the world when the dates became ambiguous, a lot of advanced preparation was made to test and prepare enterprise level systems. I personally spent a year trying to assure business would not be interrupted if all our computers crashed at the stroke of midnight. Many people stayed on the scene (in or near computer server rooms) to be ready just in case. It was a major news story and I'm surprised you missed it.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Mar 2012, 18:13

I did, Yogi, but thanks for explaining. Something DOES ring a bell now you come to mention it, but I was too busy with a young family and other things, to take any notice.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby ocelotl » 08 Dec 2012, 01:21

Mayans did have Leap Years, According To Anthony F. Aveni (Skywatchers of Ancient Mexico, IV. Mathematical and Astronomical content of Mesoameric Inscriptions, Tropic Year Calculations) Mayans used the metonic cycle where 235 lunar cycles have almost the same duration of 19 tropic years, 6939.6 days. What they did was to maintain the civil 360 day calendar and set "compensations" as to making it match the tropical calendar basing on lunar and solar movements referred to the long count.
ocelotl
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 08 Dec 2012, 09:09

Some brilliant calculations went on there.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Apocalypse 2012