What Is There To Fear?

Pros and cons regarding the highly publicized end of the Mayan calendar on December 21, 2012
Forum rules
This forum is READ ONLY. New posts not allowed.

Re: What Is There To Fear?

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Sep 2012, 17:03

I don't put any significance to it. Calendars are calendars, and what the Mayans produced, though very interesting, is still partly guessed at. The same goes for hieroglyphs found on the pyramids, stone circles etc., their meanings now long lost. The beliefs of these ancient people are fascinating, but unfortunately, some of their real meanings are lost in time.

For the Chinese and others who celebrate various festivals, good for them, and the same goes for those who still believe in the old prophesies and so on. It's not hurting anyone, and these events are enjoyable for a great many people.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 20 Nov 2012, 06:46

Holy shit, only 30 days to the end of the world. Better start doing that bucket list. Praying to whatever deity you believe in. And making the most of these end of days.

Or simply ignore the BS and get on with you life.

The choice is yours. :grin:
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Nov 2012, 08:20

I've packed my suitcases Andy. I don't want to arrive either Upstairs or Downstairs without a change of clothes and a few necessities. I haven't given my worldly possessions to the church though, in case of a catastrophe not happening. Do you think I'm being mean, or just precautionary? : )

Actually, these sort of prophecies just signify a change - not the end of the world - but many still believe that it will be.

Look on the bright side - should something of biblical proportions happen to us all, all our debts'll be wiped out, and there'll be no more worries! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 20 Nov 2012, 21:38

AJRC wrote:Holy shit, only 30 days to the end of the world.

Only 30 shopping days left?! :shock:

I'd better get to it. I've always been a last minute shopper, and that just might not be too good in this case! ;)
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Nov 2012, 21:58

:lmao4:

Early morning Glenn. Just made a new post about a .... horse hole!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby AJRC » 22 Nov 2012, 07:12

Nah, i'm not packing a thing. If we believed the loonies the world should have ended hundreds of times over by now. The 21st December will be like any other day, no religious accession, no cataclysmic disaster. On the 22nd we'll all still be here and the loonies will think up another date for the end of the world. :roll:

Anyway the all mighty Santa Clause wouldn't let the world end just before Xmas. ;)

Also...
[ img ]
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Nov 2012, 07:46

LOL!!!! :lol:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 23 Nov 2012, 08:03

Nice joke Andy, but the Mayans didn't know about Christ nor did they base their calendars upon his birth. They did know about cycles, but that's not how they kept track of calendar time. It's misinformation such as that found in your meme(s) from which myths are born. :grin:

With the development of the place-notational Long Count calendar (believed to have been inherited from other Mesoamerican cultures), the Maya had an elegant system with which events could be recorded in a linear relationship to one another, and also with respect to the calendar ("linear time") itself. In theory, this system could readily be extended to delineate any length of time desired, by simply adding to the number of higher-order place markers used (and thereby generating an ever-increasing sequence of day-multiples, each day in the sequence uniquely identified by its Long Count number). In practice, most Maya Long Count inscriptions confine themselves to noting only the first five coefficients in this system (a b'ak'tun-count), since this was more than adequate to express any historical or current date (20 b'ak'tuns cover 7,885 solar years). Even so, example inscriptions exist which noted or implied lengthier sequences, indicating that the Maya well understood a linear (past-present-future) conception of time.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Nov 2012, 10:19

Yes, the Mayans were incredible and advanced people. Fascinating.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby ocelotl » 08 Dec 2012, 01:40

It may even be more important that there is not an agreement on the match between long count start and the Julian date count. At least there are eight different numbers spread over the equivalent of 800 years. The most accepted one, that is the basis of current discussions and speculations, is the one proposed by Goodman, Martínez and Thompson, the so called GMT correlation.
ocelotl
Learning Class Poster
Learning Class Poster

Postby brandtrn » 14 Dec 2012, 11:09

I've already made up my mind that this "end of the world" crap is a bunch of hoo-ha...but then, I still remember the Y2K scare and how worried everyone was about that, all for nothing. Still, my co-workers and I have made plans for 12/21, just in case -- if the worst happens, we've made up our minds to stand in a circle and hold hands while it all goes down -- and I'll be bringing a bottle of Jack with me, so we can all have one last shot before we die. And, if the 22nd rolls around and we're all still here, we'll drink our shot together AFTER we punch out, to celebrate the fact that we're still alive :mrgreen:
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Dec 2012, 15:59

You can bet on that, brandtrn - enjoy your toast!

However, although the Mayans didn't recognise Leap Years in the system like ours, they did, however, calculate the year incredibly accurately. Their calculations for the length of a solar year were .002 days different than modern calculations of the year, which scientists say has a margin of error of + or - .005 days. Therefore, they very much did account for the accurate length of a year when making their calendars.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 16 Dec 2012, 18:25

Oh my word!!!!
You're absolutely right AJRC.
The world would have definitely ended by now.....phew!
We can all breathe easier now.
I thought I would never get my Christmas pressies this year!!

:cool2:

As someone mentioned, I wonder who will tell us when the next Doomsday date will be.
:sigh:
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Dec 2012, 12:12

Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby imhotep the 2nd » 17 Dec 2012, 18:06

Hmm.....I bet their parents had something to do with that!!
:bleh:
imhotep the 2nd
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Dec 2012, 21:04

Well of course. I think it's terrible that youngsters are brainwashed into thinking it's OK to proclaim stuff like that - and that's the church for you. Well, the Westbro Baptist one, anyway.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Previous

Return to Apocalypse 2012