Kindle Fire HD...

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Kindle Fire HD...

Postby kg » 22 Dec 2013, 22:39

I've sprang for a new Kindle Fire 7" HD tablet, for a few reasons. Foremost among the reasons is that, after having read the opinions of many authors, the fact that Amazon holds the lion's share of the ePublishing market is inescapable.

I found that I've been operating under a few misconceptions concerning Amazon, chief among them that Amazon had stiff exclusivity in their contract, tying up your ability to publish your work with another publisher for a long period of time. Instead, I've found that they have varying lengths of exclusivity, depending on how much promotion you wish Amazon to assume. 6 months; 12 months, or even no exclusivity. I haven't fully researched the issue, but I plan to.

Another factor is the percentage of the eBook market Amazon controls. I've read that Amazon has the most clients by a long shot, with B&N holding a distant second.

At the end of June (2012), Amazon’s Kindle family of reading devices was used to read e-books by 55% of e-book buyers, according to figures compiled by Bowker Market Research.

Amazon’s share was up from 45% in the second quarter of 2010 and 48% in the second period of 2011, and the increase was aided by the release of the Kindle Fire. Since its introduction in late 2011, the Fire’s share of e-book reading has risen quickly and hit 18% in June. Some of its gains came at the expense of other Kindle devices, but the combination of dedicated e-readers and tablets gave Amazon its highest market share ever, topping the 49% the company had in the fourth quarter of 2010.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/digital/devices/article/54705-kindle-share-of-e-book-reading-at-55.html

If I would like my books to be exposed to as many readers as possible, those are statistics that can't be ignored. Add to that the fact that I've communicated with authors who have published with them who tell me that Amazon is very proactive in cooperating with an author in promoting their books (depending on the exclusivity length you select, of course).

As I said, there are a few issues I haven't researched, one of which is how they handle cover art, etc., for their POD services. I'm also not sure on their policy of author-created MOBI files, in which I might be able to embed special fonts. There's a lot of research I have yet to do.

One more issue that fueled my decision to purchase a Kindle...the authors who publish exclusively with Amazon. I don't know how many novels that have piqued my interest, only to find that they are only available through Amazon.com and the Kindle...that is, unless I want to order a paperback (or hard cover) version. Many of these are authors I know and am in contact with.

It presents a two-fold reason to consider Amazon and the Kindle. One is that I really want to read those books -- they sound interesting -- and the fact that so many of these authors elect to use Amazon speaks volumes on Amazon's efficacy. I can stand a bit of exclusivity in exchange for help from a "publishing company" to promote my books.

I understand that Amazon won't deliver the level of promotion a traditional publishing company would deliver, but then again, I likely won't have to send manuscripts off and wait months, only to receive rejection letter after rejection letter. I want to continue to write, and not deal with the worry and bother of hoping some publisher will deign to accept my offerings.

At any rate, the Kindle should be here the day before Christmas, as Amazon offered free 2-day shipping. And I'll go from there...
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: Kindle Fire HD...

Postby Kellemora » 23 Dec 2013, 12:13

Hi Glenn

I use Draft2Digital as my meatgrinding distributor. They supply Amazon (mobi), B&N (nook), Kobo, ipad, and a few others I do not select.

As far as POD, Amazon's is Create-Space. I forget the name of the other big one.
In fact, Create-Space owes me two hard-backs as long as I get my stuff to them before the June deadline.

The reason I don't use D2D for POD, is because they use the e-book version converted to pdf, and I will only use POD printers who use a pdf created exclusively for a POD publication.
I have used Digi-POD a couple of times, and loved their work. Now I can't find them. I'm not sure that the company named Diggy-POD is them under a new name, or a different company entirely. In any case, I can't find Digi-POD anymore.

One of the wonderful features about Digi-POD was their SEPARATE Spine jpg. You submitted the front cover, back cover, and spine as separate files. The front and back cover had to be sized properly, but you always made the spine background wider than necessary, keeping the text centered. This way they could adjust the spine to the finished width of the book. Which varies depending upon paper and cover weights selected. You don't end up with cover bleed into the spine area, or vice versa when using a separate image file for the spine. So the same image will work with whatever paper weight you choose.
Besides that, their prices were always a tad lower than other POD places I checked at the times I used them.

I got a Kindle Fire 64 for the frau for Christmas. Have not found an open source word processor for her to use with it yet.
Amazon has made it overly complicated to add anything NOT bought through their Amazon Kindle App Store.
And the thing that really irked me the most. Kindle Fire uses the Linux/Android OS, yet all the available programs are proprietary Mickey$oft garbage.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 24 Dec 2013, 16:58

Hello Gary, and thanks for the thoughtful answer.

Kellemora wrote:I use Draft2Digital as my meatgrinding distributor. They supply Amazon (mobi), B&N (nook), Kobo, ipad, and a few others I do not select.

As far as POD, Amazon's is Create-Space. I forget the name of the other big one.
In fact, Create-Space owes me two hard-backs as long as I get my stuff to them before the June deadline.

As is my usual practice, I did a little research, and found a seemingly good article comparing Smashwords and D2D. The author presents solid Pros and Cons for each of the e-Distributors: Choosing The Right Distributor: Smashwords vs Draft2Digital

Kellemora wrote:The reason I don't use D2D for POD, is because they use the e-book version converted to pdf, and I will only use POD printers who use a pdf created exclusively for a POD publication.
I have used Digi-POD a couple of times, and loved their work. Now I can't find them. I'm not sure that the company named Diggy-POD is them under a new name, or a different company entirely. In any case, I can't find Digi-POD anymore.

I also researched this, and could find nothing on "Digi-POD," recent or historical. As for DiggyPOD, I don't think they're a "rename" of Digi-POD:

DiggyPOD was originally a small printing business called Quickprint, Inc. and was started in 1988 by Laura Alexander and three partners. Over the years the company served the local Saline, MI market and became the preffered print shop for the area. In 2001, Tim Simpson bought the Quickprint business from Laura and changed the name to DiggyPOD, Inc.(DiggyPOD stands for Digital Print on Demand).

https://www.diggypod.com/about-diggypod.html

Kellemora wrote:I got a Kindle Fire 64 for the frau for Christmas. Have not found an open source word processor for her to use with it yet.
Amazon has made it overly complicated to add anything NOT bought through their Amazon Kindle App Store.
And the thing that really irked me the most. Kindle Fire uses the Linux/Android OS, yet all the available programs are proprietary Mickey$oft garbage.

I have a feeling that you'd find the same through most any reader on the market these days. Naturally, they want you to buy books/apps/etc. from them, so they make it difficult (if not impossible) to load anything other than their (proprietary) software to guarantee continuing sales. Those titles load and run flawlessly...and if I'm forced to pay for them, they better!

No, I'm basing my decision on my communications with several authors I'm now acquainted with, in addition to some of the research I've done. Too great a percentage of them extol the virtues of publishing with Amazon, and the "percentage of e-Readership" can't be ignored.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 24 Dec 2013, 17:36

Another good reason for my decision(s):

...William Lynch Jr., the chief executive of Barnes & Noble, resigned on Monday, two weeks after a devastating earnings report that accentuated the bookseller’s losing battle against powerful rivals like Amazon...

The financial results for the fiscal fourth quarter underscored the urgency of the need to take action. The Nook unit showed a $177 million loss in earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, or Ebitda, more than doubling the loss from the period a year earlier. Sales fell 34 percent, to $108 million.

The signs have been ominous for the company since the beginning of the year, when it announced that sales for the nine-week holiday period in late 2012 had declined at both its bookstores and in the Nook unit.

Chief Leaves Barnes & Noble After Losses on E-Readers

That's very unfortunate. I really like my Nook, and though I haven't got it yet (still waiting for it to arrive), nor had the opportunity to play with it, I can't imagine I'm going to like the Kindle as well.

There's another reason to route for B&N's well-being; I'd hate to see a monopoly develop. I'm fairly confident that it won't -- there are too many competitors, presently -- but I have such concerns when fairly large companies experience difficulties like this.

I suppose the Kindle will be the same difference, though. I have a large Nook Tablet computer (HD, of course!), and use it for nothing other than reading eBooks. Kind of a waste, but the larger size and HD display is easier on these old, failing eyes. And I can use it for the web, in an emergency (and depending on the availability of a WI-FI connection).
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 25 Dec 2013, 13:33

Hi Glenn

As you know, I support Mark Coker and Smashwords. Often tweeting links to their Blog and other articles.
I'm not real happy with their new website changes and discontinuance of their Blog.
Even following their GUIDE to the letter, I still had many problems with their meatgrinder.

I have seen that article you linked to, comparing Smashwords with D2D.
The author left out some very pertinent data in his article, which made it more biased in Smashwords favor, even though he did say he used D2D now over Smashwords.
For example: He listed only B&N, Kobo and Apple. Why did he fail to mention the largest AMAZON, as being served by D2D?

Regarding the pulling of books. D2D had ALL of my books back on B&N within 24 hours. Smashwords took 4 days. He made it sound like Smashwords books were not pulled at all. It was ALL BOOKS handled by that one outfit, forget their name now, which affected ALL digital publishers.

I started out with Smashwords, then as a favor to D2D, used them for my next round of short stories. Being one of their early customers, I conversed with them often. I've never sent them an e-mail that they did not respond to immediately.
I had what I thought was the same problem with their meatgrinder as I did with Smashwords.
The big difference is, D2D responded, and even sent me screenshots to show my book was correct.
It turned out, my on-computer reader was what messed up. Books looked OK in Calibri before conversion, but viewing the actual conversion in Calibri, showed the same problems as the download from D2D.

Now that I have the actual readers available to me, they look like I expected on the actual readers.
But not the same on different models of the same reader. EG: Kindle 6, Kindle 7, both e-Ink and Kindle Fire. Each of those display the SAME mobi file differently.

I have not had time to go through my receipt box to find out what happened to Digi-POD. But just looking at the Diggy-POD website, I know it is not them under a new name.

I'm never one to get in a rush, but am pleased with the report I get from D2D. They do show how much is coming in from each retailer, and how long before it is etched-in-stone, then transferred to my income account.
The let me know via e-mail of every status change. When published, when it appears on the retailers site, when the site reports sales and when they are official. No complaints.

Being first with them does have the advantage. I know most of the folks and can send e-mails directly to them, rather than to service@ or help@, if you know what I mean. A direct line to the person I need to talk to.

The frau just said company is here so must go make an appearance.

Merry Christmas to you and yours Glenn.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Writers Corner