Iceland - great place for writers.

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: Iceland - great place for writers.

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Nov 2013, 16:51

LOOOL!!! Glad you explained about the "fin", because I didn't know, but a good double entendre there! :P

We used babyish expressions to describe body parts when the boys were little. The correct terminology sounded too clinical, but of course, we'd tell them that the correct term for these things were such-and-such. As and when they were ready, they'd use the proper words, but it sort of backfired.

Our youngest was diagnosed with Hodkins Lymphoma about 3 years ago. He's fine now, but was a very poorly boy for a year. His torso was riddled in cancerous lymph nodes, but he responded remarkably well to his treatment and ops, thank goodness.

I don't often mention this openly, because it's a private matter, but I'm saying it now to illustrate what happened after his consultant warned us that, depending on treatment given, it might've rendered him sterile. He spoke to my son and used the word "nuts" for testicles, when explaining what can happen. Not being used to hearing the word, but getting the point, our son had to stifle his laughter. I was quite surprised that the slang expression was used by a professional, but he later explained that many young people don't KNOW the correct word, so he uses terms which he thinks they'll understand. I was flabbergasted that in this day and age, some young people still aren't familiar with what part's called what! :shock:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 15 Nov 2013, 13:20

I had a fellow employee, who was 35 or 36 years old, embarrass me to no end, when I answered a question he asked.
He didn't know the clinical name for the nerve ending area of the female anatomy.
I have no idea how the topic even came up, but he was a little on the crude side.
I simply gave him the clinical name and went on about my business.
For the next month or so, he walked around using the "C" word, making funny faces and laughing his arse off about it.
He was driving us all crazy. When we avoided him like the plague, he finally toned it down a little bit.
Like a kid who learned a new word, he ran around blabbing it all over the place.

Sorry to hear about your son. Glad to hear he overcame and wish him the best.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Nov 2013, 15:35

LOL Gary! I could tell you about a similar one, where the same word was used, only wrongly. I don't know how my sister-in-law, who's a doctor, kept a straight face, but she apparently did. This came from another woman as well, and despite my sil repeating the word correctly, it made no difference, as she continued to use her own version. : )

Thank you re. my son. He had to have a year off school, and I home-taught him, but he's doing so well now, touch wood. He has autism, and in a way, it became a blessing in disguise. He lives for "the now", so faced all the tests and horrible treatment with extreme bravery, and then it was over, done with and forgotten. Having visited childrens' cancer wards, I know that he wasn't alone. Some of those seriously ill kids put adults to shame, but with ours, it truly was a case of touch and go. By the time he was diagnosed, his torso was riddled in tumours, but apart from one behind his kidney, they missed his vital organs and didn't give him leukaemia as well. His diagnoses came one weekend. On the following Monday morning, he was undergoing a 3-hour op, during which they removed lymph glands from under his arm but they found another tumour lurking behind them, so what should've initially been a 1 1/2 hour operation took twice as long. The following week he underwent another op, and a third one after that. He responded to the chemotherapy, and we took him home every day. Consultants and doctors advised that he should be hospitalized to recover, but I felt differently about it, knowing that he'd feel safer and more comfortable in his home environment. I was right. His progress was amazing, and although I was falling asleep over his bed, I stayed with him every night until he nodded off, trying to create laughter in between. It worked Gary. The medics were astounded, and congratulated me on how I'd dealt with it, but there was no contest. It was our son there, who could've died, and I just knew what was going to be the best for him.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Nov 2013, 15:58

Staying with him and bringing him home when you could, is the very best thing you could do for him.
Today, there is pretty much medical proof of that too.
We always try to do what is best for our kids.
It's almost four, I need to get to writing on my NaNo and WIP.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Nov 2013, 06:06

Hope you completed what needed doing.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Nov 2013, 13:41

I was still writing when I noticed it was ten minutes til midnight.
So right in the middle of a paragraph I stopped and checked my word count,
jumped over to NaNo and entered my total for yesterday.
Then came back and made my notations, and continued writing the next few paragraphs before I forgot which direction I was heading.
After I finished my NaNo work, I still had to hit a couple of websites to respond to questions.
Although I made it down to the house a little after 2am, I still didn't make it to bed until 3am.
Was up at 8 this morning, catching up on the rest of yesterdays work.
Now I iz here, taking a break, but shooting by after this to hit my main work folders at work again.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Nov 2013, 17:59

I beat you Gary. A friend of mine came round last night, and I didn't get to bed until gone 4 a.m. I was up again at 8.30 a.m. I'm wilting a bit now though. It's almost midnight again.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 19 Nov 2013, 13:28

I'm running a bit behind today again myself.

Lots of hard folders at work this morning.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 19 Nov 2013, 14:28

The first half of today was putrid. I had several long-winded and formal things to sort out. It took me ages because of red tape and slow systems. This afternoon was better though, and I managed to get a NICE email done to a friend of mine. I felt more relaxed after that.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 20 Nov 2013, 13:20

That's great Icey.
Until I finish this novel for NaNo, I won't see daylight.
And the company I work for, loaded me up really heavy this week.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Nov 2013, 14:48

Awww, that's ALL you need, when you'd rather be concentrating on your own stuff. Mind you, I suppose we all get times like that. Today hasn't been too healthy again either. I was out until mid afternoon, and then had to literally come in and get on with some more important stuff. I've got some appointments coming up next month, which're double-booked. Can't do anything about it, so I've just got to hope that each one doesn't take too long.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 21 Nov 2013, 12:58

I hear ya. This is the middle of November, and they are still pushing books out the door so they will be on the shelves in time for Christmas.
Ironically, I was working on Valentine Stories last month, and today two of what I worked on are for Easter Distribution.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 Nov 2013, 13:06

It doesn't surprise me. Same as our shops which're running low on Christmas gifts. You can bet that as soon as the shelves're cleared in the New Year, they'll be ordering Easter eggs in. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 22 Nov 2013, 11:41

Across the street from my brothers large warehouse, was a company that worked year round making Christmas items.
They were a manufacturer, and their Cut-Off Date for distributors placing orders was in JUNE of each year.
But it takes from June to November for the products to travel to the Distributors, to the Wholesalers and finally make it to the Retailers.

As an aside: In the greenhouse business, we had to know two years in advance of what the colors would be for bridesmaids dresses and the like. So we had time to crossbreed and then raise crops in the popular colors for that year.
The color coordinated flowers to gowns trend fortunately tapered off in the late '80s.
But most flowers and plants take time to raise. We have Poinsettia cuttings taking root long before Easter Lilies are moved out of the bench space. It was a mad business.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Nov 2013, 08:20

Wow, I can well imagine. I had to grin at having to know 2 years in advance what colour the bridesmaids dresses were going to be though. What if ... the bride changed her mind?? : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 23 Nov 2013, 13:38

Or if they decided to buy from another area of the country.
The popular colors vary greatly across the country.
So we had to be prepared for what was on the famous RUNWAYS.
But for the most part. When you think about it.
What colors are available, begin with the clothes designers, who then tell the materials manufacturers what colors they want.
And by the time the type and color material is made, shipped to the wholesale material stores and designers, it's a good year or longer before what they wanted appear in the retail stores.
So basically, we know FOR SURE what colors they want about the same time the materials manufacturers know.
But because we have a season of cross-breeding to get there, we usually have a heads up long before the manufacturers know for sure.

We had an aunt who was an expert at dying those white silk covered shoes worn by bridesmaids.
She was able to come up with those seemingly impossible colors that could not be made using conventional dyes.
Sometimes the material on the shoes had to undergo several non-coloring treatments in order to get the color she was after.
And when iridescent and chromium based colors appeared on the market, she almost went crazy trying to duplicate them.
WHAT a color is on, and it's reflective properties, has a whole lot to do with how a color appears to the eye.
I'm sure you remember the material that had different color reflections, even though the material was a solid color. It just depended upon which angle you viewed it at and how the light hit it. I know there's a name for it, I just don't remember what it is. Anyhow, it is next to impossible for the material to produce that affect when placed over a solid surface, like a shoe. So one cannot just cover the shoe with that material and have it come out the way they want.
She had a superthin glassine egg-crate like material custom made for her, to affix to the shoes before she treated them and used these strange new materials over them.
She was getting old by then, and being one of the few who figured out how to duplicate these dresses, is when her business finally went into high gear. She had more business than her and six other gals could handle. But she was smart too. At the peak of her production, she sold her business and all of the her unique little processes for a very tidy sum of money.
This allowed her to live out the rest of her days in one of the fanciest of seniors complexes, in style.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Nov 2013, 16:07

That's brilliant. You sure have some innovative and skilled people in your family Gary.

Over here, many brides tend to buy from what the shops are stocking - and quite close to the event. This's because of any weight gain/loss which might occur before the big day, so shops'll keep the item in for you and make any necessary alterations as the time draws close. If you have a gown made, you sometimes have to dictate the style up to a year before you need it - hence why the makers ask for a good deposit, in case something goes wrong, but if you happen to know a seamstress, then they can sometimes run you one up in next to no time. The choices of colours and materials are huge, so there's no problem about having to send away for anything, unless you want Thai silk or something specific.

I know what you mean about materials which possess reflections and colour changes, depending on the light or even the creases. Taffeta can have that effect, but you don't see it much now. A few years back, there were various bridal fashions which, quite frankly, would've looked stupid on all but the slimmest of females. Some had mini-skirt fronts, and then draped at the back, and some were held together by the will of god! LOL. These were designer affairs, which commanded very high prices, so consequently, many of the silly-looking garments went unsold, except to the richest of the rich. The "in" thing now seems to be a reversal. Instead of a dress covered in ostrich feathers or whatever, brides are going back to more sedate, old-fashioned looks.

We had Sarah Ferguson marrying Prince Andrew in a voluminous dress which had a huge bow at the back to cover her ample rear. It was novel for the time, and several replicas came out shortly afterwards. The marriage of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, to Prince William, saw her in an expensive but quite formal style though. The neckline wasn't high, but it wasn't sleeveless, and the lace off-set the gown to make her look classy.

Wedding shoes can be bought at bridal outfitters, but to save money, a lot of women buy ordinary ones, which they can wear again afterwards. I wore ankle boots and a medieval dress with an over-gown, so it didn't matter!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 25 Nov 2013, 11:23

Of the weddings I have been to recently.
Rather than making one use expensive gowns.
They add a detachable long or short train to an evening gown.
Sometimes with a lace wraparound over the gown.
And a tiara with a long back.

We just attended one of Debi's nephews weddings,
and his bride wore a simple evening gown, with one of these add on short trains.
But it went almost all the way around her, so it spread out to the sides.
She wore what I would call like gauntlet gloves up to her elbow, but they had no hands.
So there were more like leggings for the arms.
Rather than tiara she wore a white mans style hat, except right during the ceremony itself.
She wore her mom's veiled headpiece.
It looked phunny with 8 groomsmen and only 2 bridesmaids.
Had something to do with it them being in uniform.
Some unwritten tradition that each in a uniform, had to have two attendants (to cover their back).
So, since the groom was in uniform, he had two attendants, as did his two groomsmen in uniform.
The attendants wore black with red ties and red handkerchiefs. Looked like men in black, hi hi...
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Nov 2013, 12:16

I bet they looked fabulous!

I think it's lovely to see a wedding where the groom, and perhaps some attendants're in uniform.

The bride at the wedding you went to, was obviously wearing fingerless gloves, as we call them. They can look really nice, and yes, it's sensible to have detachable trains.

I didn't have a tiara. I wanted to look different, but in keeping with the period we'd chosen. I wore a veil which hung down over my face, but which trailed down the back of the dress for a few yards. Underneath, I wore a circlet of real ivy round my head, and this also trailed down one side, as my hair was very long then, and I didn't pin it up. It looked really nice.

A few years ago, we went to Switzerland and had a blessing. For that, I wore a a dusky pink satin dress which laced up the front and back. It was just as lovely as what I'd worn the first time, yet cost less than £200.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 26 Nov 2013, 13:34

Sounds very nice Icey. I'll bet you looked adorable.

One of the materials used for us groomsmen, was changed at the last minute.
And rather than look like sashes. We each looked like we were wearing TuTu's.
That was over a dozen years ago now, and the jokes about it have still not abated.
Someone will bring it up at every holiday gathering.

At first, not one of these southerners trusted that crazy guy Debi found on the internet from St. Louis.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Writers Corner