Online Editing Aids

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: Online Editing Aids

Postby Kellemora » 11 Nov 2013, 14:12

As docile as my home town seems. Remember, I was one of the oldest kids. So my peers were actually all my older aunts, uncles and the townsfolk. I actually preferred being around the older folks, learning, than hanging around with the kids.

We had issues, not riots, but livestock thieves, several major fires, sometimes taking out a whole block.
Back then, everyone worked together. I'm old enough to remember when we did have barn raisings, and a few house buildings for area farmers. Most of these house buildings were temporary homes in a field, while they rebuilt their main home, back where it used to stand. Or near to it anyhow.

You can tell me if I'm right or wrong on this. But we had a few British neighbors over the years. They could have come from the same town originally. I don't know. But we thought it was funny the way they viewed things. Especially the clothes they wore.
Let me say first. Here in America, one would not wear a plaid shirt with striped trousers.
But all of those of the British family's seemed they had no clothing coordination skills.
They would wear a paisley tie with a horizontal striped shirt and checkered pants, then wear a vertical striped coat over it.
To be fair here. As inquisitive as I was about it. I didn't tease them, but instead asked.
One older man, knowing my question was serious, sat me down and explained it to me.
He said, we look at each item, or article of clothing, as a whole independent unit.
How it stands on it's own merit. It is an individual piece of art.
I wear this plaid shirt, because I love the unique design, colors and workmanship in this shirt.
My shirt has nothing to do with my pants, handkerchief or coat.
Now take these pants here. Notice how the stripes have these little wavy edges, and are perfectly spaced.
This is a quality pair of pants, you won't find a single flaw in any stripe. Besides, they are comfortable and warm.
We look at each items as a special friend.
Now you on the other hand, you try to make your whole outfit the same, whether it has any unique qualities or not.
If you wear a shirt with a design, you wear plain pants, or vice versa.
And you pay special attention to the colors, so they all blend together harmoniously.
Nothing wrong with that. However, it looses the individuality of each piece. It loses character.

The times have changed though. A neighbors house catches fire and everyone just stands around and watches.
A few may offer to take them to a motel or out to dinner. But more often than not, all you hear is, that's a shame.
And no one lifts a finger to help anymore.
One neighbors dog continually got out. I put him back in his pen more times than I can remember.
Things like this do get tiring. One neighbor does not have a fence and their dog runs the neighborhood.
When it disappears, she just runs out and gets another dog. Very sad. She's had a few killed on the road too.

Another neighbor had her pooch get loose, and since it was so rare, several of us were out trying to catch her, stopping cars so they wouldn't run over the poor thing. We finally caught her, and she was so scared and shaking.
It was not a hound breed, which knows there way home, no matter how far away they are taken.
Every bark, noise, or car, only made it more terrified, and it would run away from the sounds.

Then too, we have the thieves, burglars and other crooks who come through. One neighbor, because he has older kids, seems to get things stolen more often than the rest. Our neighbor across the street, who stored much of his work equipment outside, had some really expensive things stolen recently. His house was broken into for the first time since he has lived here. However, when they finally figured out who did it. It was one of his daughters friends from school. She bragged about getting a new laptop, and that is what the broke in to steal. But while inside, they took other things.

Even the crooks leave us alone, or have so far. I have some things around here that make them think we have unusual monitoring equipment and cameras. Things they would not be sure of how to defeat.
And word gets around to the crooks too. Don't mess with them, they have tracking radar. We've seen it.
I think my parrot stopped one break-in to my office. He heard a noise and started talking. An outside motion sensor triggered and lights came on behind the garage. Which triggers a beep in the house at night. We looked to see two kids run between the storage sheds and up through the woods.
On one of my older computers, I have a screen saver now that never shuts off. It looks like a radar screen and can be seen from both windows. An image on the screen shows a human form at one of the windows and a dog inside the fence nearby.
I think this is a good deterrent, if they look in the window I keep the blinds partially open on.
I did have a strobe that flashed every few minutes, but it eventually burned out. And was obviously fake. I did buy another one and connected it to the side motion sensor, with a 30 second delay, then it would flash once every 15 seconds for only 1 minute. It quit working too, a little over a year ago now. But my rotating pipe up on the roof, that looks like a ships radar, still turns. That's where the crooks think we have a radar system from.

TTUL

Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Nov 2013, 16:05

Love your home security system Gary! It's surprising how thoughtfully-placed minor objects can be made to look "the business".

We've never had any crooks in or around our property, but we're off the beaten track anyway. Even so, we have sensors galore, the lights, the everything .. just in case. We're fenced off and shrouded by woodland. A gamekeeper from a place about 4 miles away often comes strolling along, but we know him and don't mind. Then we have folk here who walk the dogs round at night, and we've not come across anything amiss (touch wood). It CAN get a bit worrying though when there's only 2 or 3 in the house. Dark evenings don't help, but over all, I think we're pretty safe. All you can do's keep your wits about you and make sure that everything's working and up to date.

Isn't it sad about those dogs? Only one of ours's ever got out, but it wasn't good. He doesn't like other dogs (only the ones he's been brought up with), and although he went to obedience classes, he was a rescue dog when we got him and I'm afraid that something must've been ingrained into him, because he gets nasty. The rest of the time, he's as placid as the rest, and all he wants to do's to fuss everyone. Great with kids, adults and the other animals, but if he sees a strange dog, he goes mad. Someone once suggested one of those electronic collars which gives off a shock if they wander beyond the property boundaries, but I think they're cruel and refused to try one.

In response to how neighbours/locals view each other over here, I'm happy to say that where I am, everyone helps everyone else. When you have a decent community, new people moving in soon learn what's expected of them, but most folk've lived in the vicinity for years, and their homes're passed on to their children and so on down the line, so even if you don't know someone very well personally, you know OF them, if that makes sense, and everything's kept close to their chests.

I laughed my head off about the British settlers and their fashion sense!! Believe me Gary, that isn't the norm. If we see someone with hugely mis-matched clothing, we have a genial laugh about it, but it's not meant in a nasty way. Some people're simply unable to distinguish between stripes, polka dots, zig-zags or even colour schemes, so end up with a hotch-potch of garish attire. Those're in the minority though. The worst ones are the "trackpants" brigade. I've seen both men and women in supermarkets, wearing terrible outfits like that - usually filthy grey (or pink for the women) tracksuit bottoms and T shirts that don't fit! Worse still - men who wear a pair of proper trousers, and accompany them with trainers!!! LOOOOL!

Unfortunately, we have a lot of young people (mainly female) who believe that copying the dress sense of their favourite models or actresses means that they look chic and fashionable. Wrong. Good dressing doesn't depend on designer rip-offs, but classic clothes are what it's all about - items which never date, always look smart and which you don't accessorise with a mountain of jewellery - whether fake or real. The proverbial "little black dress" for women merely needs a nice pair of unobtrusive earrings, and maybe a decent watch or, occasionally, a small necklace which doesn't yell out "Bling!". It's the same for men. A smart man can wear the same suit for years if the cut and material's of a good quality. Of course, he doesn't want to stride out in massive great flares - ha ha ha - but you know what I mean. Team it with a nice shirt/tie, and some smart shoes, and that's him done.

However, being out in the countryside often means wellies and a good warm, waterproof jacket. No need to dress up all fancy when you're going to get splattered in mud - or cow pats!! As with your farmer relative, day jobs often stretch well on into the evenings, and no one in their right mind'd dress up for jobs that entail being around animals or machinery, etc. We always change in the evenings though. Throwing off your scruffy clothes's like ending the working day - although I've often been doing stuff at 10 pm.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 12 Nov 2013, 12:45

The unit I made for my garage roof, is nothing but a white PVC pipe, mounted to a slow turning motor.
What gave me the idea is simply, my brother had some extra FURUNO decals for the unit on his boat.
It is a common name for boat radar systems down here too. So anyone who sees it turning up there, thinks I have radar.
That combined with the screensaver on the old monitor, which can be seen from the window, pretty much deters someone from trying to break in to my garage.

I also have little laser lights that flash once very 30 seconds to 1 minute. I toss up in perimeter trees. They last a couple of years, sometimes longer, on the built in batteries. Depends on how often they flash. A couple have solar cells, but in the trees they don't get much light. Enough to keep them going for a few years though.
Most of these came from little store counter displays. You can find several this time of year. Halloween displays that have flashing eyes on a black cat or monster of some sort. They do flash too often, but you can usually add a longer timer resistor to the circuit. Or I should say, before they made micro-miniature units, you could. Now I just buy a bag of long duration random twinklers. A bag of six costs about 9.99 is all.

Everyone can tell a FAKE camera a mile away. At the Hamfests, I can find broken real ones for around a buck each. They still have the red light and sometimes a motor in them, but the optical sensor is shot. You can't tell that by looking at the outside.
The one at the corner of my house, facing the front door, has a motion sensor inside, and when someone comes to my door, the red light goes on and stays on as long as there is movement in the sensors range.
Also, with six dogs in the house, I don't think anyone will take the chance of coming inside, hi hi...

Oh my, the clothes some people wear. You can tell they are Walmartians, hi hi...

I used to have purple skin markers. Since I don't have a need to write on skin, hi hi...
I used them to make a mark inside of clothes that had worn enough, or got damaged in some way, they I didn't want to wear them for dress anymore. The purple mark meant to move them to the everyday casual side of my closet.
Now, because I did some really grungy work too. Especially when I was painting or renovating houses. Some of my dress clothes, eventually got dedicated as work clothes. They didn't look like work clothes. But not quite ready to throw away yet either. Sometimes, I was the best dressed worker on a job site, hi hi.
I got a good laugh once, and several snickers too.
We were working in a lawyers office. The kind with the new facade at his hallway door.
We were close to being finished with the job. Just installing the cherry wood trim and crown molding over the bookcases.
I came in that day wearing a long tail tux, white frilled sleeve and collar shirt, and although the top hat was in good shape, I wore it and carried a black cane. I looked snazzy in my work boots in that outfit. But they were partially hidden by a pair of spats I had left over from my high school band days.
I figured, last day on the job, I wanted to leave a good impression.
The lawyer who's office we were working on, came in to inspect the job.
I didn't have my hat on, and he about died laughing at my white frilled shirt.
To keep him laughing, after I stowed my brad-gun in its case. I donned my top hat and put my long tailed jacket back on.
Picked up my cane and tapped my hat slightly with it.
He wouldn't let me leave his office. He called downstairs somewhere and had a photographer come up to his office.
We spent the next half-hour, having me use various tools, and pretending like I was finishing up the job in his office.
He used it in some of his flyers for the next few years. Bragging about his new office, AND the professionals who did the work. He never used my name, but gave the company I worked for at the time a few good plugs.

I also owned a chartreuse jacket from when I worked at KSIM in Sikeston, MO
And a costume grade electric blue blazer left over from my playing music days.
Costume grade clothing don't hold up long, has no pockets, and many features are only silkscreened onto them.
You can't tell this from more than five feet away. But up close, you could tell they were cheap.
When I was ready to discard something like that. I would often wear it to work, just to be funny.
One time, pulling these stunts, almost got me fired.
When Ruth first got too sick for me to work regular hours. I was helping out at Tradin' Times newspaper.
It was a fairly casual place, and I worked in the graphics department, which was more than casual.
Trouble is. The day I chose to come to work wearing a ZOOT SUIT costume, which I was planning on giving to a fellow worker that day, for a party he was attending over the weekend.
THAT was the day the BIG SHOTS from HQ chose to make a sneak inspection of the office.
I walked in swinging an oversized fake pocket watch on a long gold chain, and had a transistor radio playing in my pocket.
Leaning almost over backwards as I walked to enhance the effect even more.
NOBODY LAUGHED, they just turned and looked at me with a dumb stare. Then pretended to be hard at work.
I KNEW something was up!
I didn't have time to escape either. There was the Top Dawg, Big Brass, right behind me, between me and the door.
GULP
Thank goodness my boss just came out of the graphics room when she did.
She said in a loud voice. Perfect, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you for MODELING IT FOR ME.
Then she turned to the Big Boss. This don't go on all the time. I wanted to see what it looked like and asked him to try it on for me.
You could tell by the look on his face, he didn't believe one word of it.
But I peeled the costume off as fast as I could and handed it to her. Then we both went back to our department and got busy with our work.
The Big Boss came in a few minutes later and just watched over my should as I was putting one of the ads together.
Then I thought I was in trouble again.
Are you the one who started doing a few ads this way. As he pointed to some dry transfer lettering I was using.
I said, Yes Sir, you can blame me. But it saves a lot of extra photo work and machine time.
After a long pause, he finally said. I can see that. It looks nice, and we've received compliments.
Other offices were asking why they didn't get those typefaces. So I wanted to see for myself how you were doing them.
Well, my supervisor only let me use the ones that closely match what we have in our machines. We don't want too many different typefaces in the paper. I understood that. But it's so much easier to do it here, like this, than make all the blow-ups of our existing photo-fonts. And we don't have to worry about the wax messing them up.
Before he left, he had me write down the brand and name of each one my immediate boss allowed me to use.
And within the month, every newspaper was using the same method.
And yes, I did get a small raise, probably from that incident.
During the short time I was there, I was given a few advancements and more important duties as extra jobs.
Near the end of my time there, I had keys to the place and could come and go, to do my work, when I could make it.
However, I had serious duties on Saturdays, with deadlines I couldn't miss. I ran galleys and ran backup on that day. All by my lonesome. The only worker in the place on the weekend.
They too are the company that bought the Wang VS mainframe computer I bought for our florist business. When we switched to the smaller OIS system.

So yes, I've got myself into my share of trouble, acting like a nut.
But it was PHUN!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Nov 2013, 15:15

:lmao1:

That was such good fun READING it!!! See what I mean Gary? You could compile a book of very amusing but true incidents!!

Sorry I can't stay on this post right now, but your "Walmartians" made me howl. An excellent description! :lol:
Your home security system sounds adequate as well! Six dogs? :o I thought 4 were bad enough, but you've beaten me! :cool2:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 13 Nov 2013, 12:03

Well, Myrrh turned 18 in October, he has arthritis, deaf, blind, and one leg on a banana peel.
He's in no real pain that meds don't handle, so we won't put him down.
The new puppy is now about three months old. And has provided many benefits.
Two dogs that never played together, because of the puppy getting them moving.
Now play with each other half the day, even when the puppy is up here with me.
One of the girls who always comes with me to the office, is a little put out, that I now share time between her and the puppy.
But she is one who never played, and now enjoys playing with the horse sized dog.
Before, they never got along well. Avoided each other. Now they frolic and even sleep on the same pillow.
So, getting a new puppy has made a change in each of them.
Now poor Myrrh, we have to keep the puppy away from. He's too old to play.
But he has moved around a lot more these past three months, than he has in the last three years.
I even see him run up and down the hill outside, before he starts following the fence row to find his way back inside again.
The puppy probably won't get big enough, that he can't fit between the spacing in the fence. So we do worry about when he learns where and how to use the doggie door. We've added finer mesh in most places. But a neighbor dog has pulled that side all apart again.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Nov 2013, 14:09

Awww! They sound lovely. Our 4 consist of Teebs, the "baby". She's 11 now though. Rosie's a few months older, Oscar and Blaze're about 12. The first 3 are Staffordshire Bull Terriers, and Blaze's an Alsation (short-haired German Shepperd). A couple have a bit of a problem with their hind legs having arthritis, but like yours, they don't appear to be suffering. They're all mad, naughty and as soft as brushes, but I like them that way. Teebie's the worst. She's chewed up umpteen things, although she's a lot better with age. They chase each other round the house. It can be bedlam sometimes, with fake growls and snarls (their tails are always wagging though!), but they wouldn't hurt a fly. The Staffies just don't like other dogs, and accept Blaze because he was here first and was the alpha male, but none of them are any trouble and they just want to play with everyone.

We wanted the children to have a dog to grow up with. Well the one became 4 because they were rescue animals and I couldn't not have them once I'd met them! Teebs was pitiful though. She was around 3 months old when she was brought to us. She looked like a whippet pup! Her bones stuck out, she was covered in fleas and lice, and terrified. Much longer, and she'd have died. Her previous owners were going to use her as a fighting dog - hence we never found out who they were, because it's illegal, but someone paid to save her and then brought her here. She'd been fed on bones and hardly anything else. Her little teeth couldn't gnaw into them, but out of starvation the poor thing'd tried. Her face was bloodied from where she'd been hit with something, and she still bears the scars. We raced her to the vet, who did a really good job. Three months later, you wouldnt've recognised her as being the same pup, but she was very nervous for quite a while after that. Even now, if you inadvertently raise your hand (as I did to brush my hair one day), she cowers away. Whatever was done to her, she won't forget, but she's the mst loyal and intelligent animal I've ever owned, and as gentle as a lamb. She's just naughty (playfully!). She'll obey commands, but you can't stop her from begging for food or chewing what takes her fancy!! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 14 Nov 2013, 12:49

All of the years I've been married. Hmm, that's almost my whole life. Well, since 21 anyhow.
I just had trouble with models that didn't hold up very well and went to an early boneyard.
We've always had a houseful of critters.
I think our PEAK was when the kids were pre-teen and teens.
Six cats, seven dogs, four aquaria, and umpteen birds, too many to count.
Not to mention the hamsters, gerbils, a ferret once, and a boy and his lizards.

A month before I married Debi. In the house we still had two cats & five dogs.
Within a month after moving back, my step-daughter moved close to her job, taking her cat.
But Debi brought her pooch, so we had six again.
My late wife bought two puppies a month before she passed away, and one of her close friends, in not much better condition than she was, fell in love with little Heath, a red miniature doxie. Her husband hated dogs, so I loaned Heath to her. That way when she did pass away, he could bring her back to us.
Well he fell in love with Heath and decided to keep him.
The other puppy I fell in love with, he followed me around, well, like a puppy dog.
After my wife passed away, and I returned to work, this little puppy took up with my housekeeper.
When I got home from work and she left, he whined at the back door half the night.
She adored that puppy, and a couple of my other dogs were showing signs of jealousy.
So as much as I loved that little guy, I gave him to her. She did bring him to work with her each day.

My black cat was given to me as an engagement gift by Ruth. We were married twenty years when she passed away.
So this cat was well up in years already. The two puppies were taking their toll on her, so it was good they were now out of the house. So she could come and sit on my lap.

After I married Debi and moved her to St. Louis, my black cat was the first to die, at the ripe old age of 22 years old.
She died during the night, on my bed, next to my pillow, where she always took up residence after I fell asleep.

Our pooches were Bubba, a BIG standard size doxie, I rescued when he was around 15 years old, so was now 17.

Mimsy, a miniature doxie, who had two broken hip, the vet did not think she would recover from. She was not in pain, so we rescued her from the vet, who was going to put her to sleep. She healed up just fine, but spent her first year with us in a back body cast that immobilized her spine and rear legs. She learned to run using her paws from the ankles down, then recovered fully after the cast was removed. She had to learn to use her now very frail muscleless legs and build them up. She did good and was soon scampering along with the best of them.

Myrrh, a miniature doxie, who is still with us, turned 18 in October.

And now Chelsea, Debi's Shih Tzu, who just turned 12 a month before we were married.

In my diary notes, I have a listing of all the pooches and a few other critters, I've owned over the years.

But these are the ones, we had before moving south.

Bubba, Mimsy, Myrrh and Chelsea.

Bubba passed away only a few months before 9/11 knocked the slats out from under us. He was 18, and we normally celebrated his birthday on November 1st. He died from heart problems, which he was on medication for the last few years of his life.

Mimsy, Myrrh and Chelsea moved to Tennessee with us.

Right after Debi's father passed away, is when we found the little Beagle puppy by our back door in the snow, barely alive.
We named her Lacie. And although Myrrh was a boy, we called him Mother Myrrh, because of how he taught Chelsea the ropes in St. Louis, and now how he mothered Lacie.
Next we found a puppy on our front porch. Somebody had to leave it there as it was too little to climb stairs. We gave it to a neighbor across the street first, but her husband said it was a pit bull and made her bring it back. So Marcie became a member of our family. Turns out, she is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Skittery as all get out, but lovable and usually stays with me.

We were eating dinner, and naturally, all the dogs are hoping somebody drops something. Mimsy was by my left foot, her usual place when we were at the table. She laid down and set her chin on my shoe. Her way of begging for a treat by not being obnoxious. I slipped her a piece of meat, but she didn't snatch it up. After dinner, the meat was still sitting next to her nose. I reached down to give her a few pets, and she was lifeless. I didn't say anything to Debi until after she got up to clear the table, and noticed I didn't jump up to help her. I said something like Mimsy's asleep. She could tell by looking at me what I meant by that.

After Debi's mother passed away, her little Chelsea, now 14, blind, deaf, and could only walk in circles. Began having seizures that medication did not help, and they kept getting closer together. During her last few attacks, she bit her tongue and cheeks pretty bad. We took her to the vet, and while there she had another severe seizure, causing further damage to her tongue. The vet said it was time. Debi wrapped her up in a shawl and held her all the way home.

She missed that pooch, who was with her all the years she was alone raising her son. And decided she wanted another. Somehow, the rescue got two dogs they were delivering mixed up. They accidentally gave the peek-a-poo to another customer and brought us a whatever it is. We met them like 50 miles from our house and 80 or more from theres. After driving all that way, we couldn't not take the pooch. He was cute as a button. And we hoped he didn't get too big. But with those big brown eyes, I knew he would get big, even if his paws didn't show it.
Because we drove clear out to the Boonidocks to get him, I decided to name him Boonleigh, who we call Boon for short.
He is part Brittany Spaniel and part HORSE, LARGE HORSE, perhaps a Tennessee Walker, hi hi...
But just as adorable as can be. We keep his hair cut short, except for his face, which is only trimmed lightly.
He does sit in Debi's lap, because he THINKS he is a little tiny lap dog.

A couple of years pass, and Debi is missing Chelsea big time. A friend of hers who was moving had a little white Shih Tzo, and she could take her with them. Great, already housebroken and well trained. Just turned three years old. Debi couldn't pass Maggie up. So Maggie was our latest edition.

Our neighbor got stuck with several puppies she was having trouble finding homes for. They were nice and small. Dad was a Shih Tzu cross and mom was a Minpin cross. Her son has a minpin she just adores. Debi didn't really want another dog, but knew I would want one to replace Myrrh, if he ever dies.
She really thought I would pick one of the girl dogs, since you could tell they were all short hair. She also knows I don't like the expense or mess of long hair dogs. However, one of the boy dogs looked to me, more like it would look like the pooch I gave to my housekeeper years ago.

All the pooches had cute little bent ears. Well, so did Marcie when we got her. The first time I put a leash on Marcie, she SPRUNG her EARS, and they have never been normal since. Marcie's ears were her only saving grace.
Well, to Debi's surprise, I selected the boy puppy. He only now is getting tufts of wire hair, quite unlike Maggie's soft hair, and right now, his face looks a little bit like Scottie's.
Debi accuses me of being a bad influence on dogs ears. I named the puppy Moky, since we live in the Smoky mountains.
The first thing he did when I brought him home, was he straightened his ear us. ALL of his siblings still have bent ears. Most are slick hair and no where near as cute, now that we are three months after the fact. Moky gets cuter every day. But those ears stick up like radio towers. At least his face is his saving grace.

Myrrh has had lots of problems these past several years. A few operations, and is blind and deaf now also. No teeth, so is on special high nutrition soft diets. Every time we take him to the vet, he says it's time. And I ask if he is in pain, so when he says no, I say then it's not time yet. His arthritis gets worse by the day, and he cannot make it outside anymore. If he does, he cries because he gets lost. He used to follow the fence around to the doggie door. But this last year, he has become more senile. And like Chelsea, will start walking in circles, dragging runny waste and getting covered in it too from falling over. I can see he is beginning to have more internal problems. So even though he has made it three years beyond what we thought he would, I don't think this time, he will make it to thanksgiving. Although I've said that every year now for three years. It's like he has given up himself. He would howl when alone, he no longer does that. And even though blind and deaf, when I came in the door, he knew it and would come to me, or pretend to look my way until I came to give him a pet.
Now he just lays there, barely moving his head. And is now having several accidents per day in his own bedding. But as long as he is not in pain, I will let him rest.

Not a day goes by that I don't think about Magoo. The chimp I was raised with. And I still occasionally say something to Jessie, the Cockatoo I gave to my wife's cousin down the street. Now Moocher talks to me all the time, especially if he thinks I'm ignoring him, hi hi...

And such is life here in house the dogs let me stay in. Sometimes they even share PART of couch cushion with me.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Nov 2013, 13:44

That .. was .. beautiful.

It was very sad to read about the dogs who died, and about their ailments, but I grinned from ear to ear when you said that Marcie's a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They're gorgeous dogs - but then maybe I'm a little biased because I prefer the bigger ones, despite Bulldogs perhaps being my favourite breed.

It's ever so sad about Myrrh. The poor baby. I'd have to have her put to sleep if she was mine - something which I find dreadful, but even if she's not in pain Gary, her condition must be distressing for her, and I'd personally find it kinder than to keep her as she is. Oh boy, I'm sorry - that sounds awful of me. I hope you know that what I said was meant with the best of intentions and heart. : (

I dread when anything happens to ours. I should be used to it, as I grew up around lots of dogs and other animals, but the ones we have now, are more like an extension of the family! They're extremely loved, as I'm sure yours are, but whilst I hope they live for years yet, common sense tells me that more than likely they're on the downward slope now. The thought of losing them upsets me, and I'm so used to having animals round me (never really been without) that I try to fool myself into believing that they're invincible.

A friend of mine's just lost her 4th and final dog. They were all German Shepherds (sorry if that's spelt wrongly), and none of them made it over 14. Before that she had Rottweilers - all with lovely floppy ears (we don't crop them over here, even on Dobermans), but they too only survived for around 10 years. I think they lacked the exercise that they needed. All her animals've been overweight, and although they looked gloriously huggable, it's cruel really. They were loved and cared for, but when it came to being walked, they quickly turned into house dogs because my friend said she lacked the time to take them out. Her husband refused to do the job. He's not a dog person anyway, but they came as a package with my friend, so he accepted that they were there but didn't contribute much to their exercising.

We have 4 dogs, 3 cats (had 4 but one just disappeared one day and we never found him), a goat, donkey and 5 horses. It's well enough for one family, but I shall replace the dog which goes first. You can't use new additions as substitutes, but I'm just used to having the 4 of them belting around. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 15 Nov 2013, 13:12

Debi and I talk about it's finally time for Myrrh.
But when he knows enough to come greet me at the door. And the struggle he makes to get there. Then he follows me to the den, and I pick him up and set him on my lap and he turns a little so I can get to his tummy. Even if he does go in circles and get lost outside now. He's not whimpering when I pick him up yet. If they squint their eyes, or yelp, or show any sign of distress, then I say it's time. He can no longer control his body functions, which makes it hard on us. But to me, the hardship is not a reason to get rid of the problem, until it really is time.

I have a full acre here, with 3/4 of it fenced for the dogs to run and play in. They all know where the doggie door is, so they can come and go as they please. All are housebroken, well, working with the new puppy, and Myrrh has a valid excuse. I'm giving time to the puppy, hoping he gets bigger, but it looks like he will forever be smaller than the escape routes from our fencing. So, I may have to add more of a finer mesh again around the base of the fence. Our neighbors dog pulled most of the ivy that grows on the fences, which is a deterrent around the majority of our fencing.

Debi has taken a few pictures of Moky, but has not transferred them to the file server or NAS yet. Probably still in her cell phone or camera.

Usually, our boy doggies stay fit n trim. It's the girl doggies, once they are repaired, they seem to put on weight.
All the boy doggies, except Moky, because he is not old enough yet, are short two divots.
I don't like to use the word 'fixed' since they aren't broken, but we can 'repair' the leakage problem on the girl doggies.
And the side effect of the repair is no puppies. ☺
I would NEVER be able to give them away!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Nov 2013, 06:18

Bless. I know what you mean. Our two girlies haven't been allowed to have puppies. I sometimes wish that Teebs'd had one lot though. She'd have made an excellent mother, but like you, I wouldnt've been able to part with any! Once ours'd come into season properly, they were taken to the vet. The ops haven't caused them any problems, and the "boys've" been done as well, although Oscar was left until he was older. They've all turned into lovely dogs with good temperaments.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Nov 2013, 13:47

I've already told Moky, the vet is going to shorten him two divots if he didn't behave.
The threat didn't work. He still leaves me gifts in obscure places, hi hi...
Nevertheless, even if he minded, he will still come home short two divots.

It started raining, got dark, the wind blew, and the lights dimmed slightly.
Hope it stays on, I have TONS of work to get done today.
And I'm late getting back to WERK.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Nov 2013, 17:56

the vet is going to shorten him two divots if he didn't behave.

:lmao4: Great expression!

Aww, poor Moky. He'll eventually learn not to leave his calling card in the house. Do you take him to the door or put him outside after he's been fed?

Ugh - your weather sounds like ours's becoming. Are you due for a storm? it seems some places of the Uk're expected to be covered in snow by next week. It's a bit early if it happens. Our worst weather's usually in January and Feb.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 19 Nov 2013, 13:27

Because he can squeeze through the gaps in the fence, we have not taught him to go out the doggie door yet.
Although, he watches the other dogs go in and out and will soon himself, I'm sure.
Yes, we take him out several times a day, first thing in the morning.
He was good about tinkling in a predefined area on a puppy pad.
But he likes to hide his little gifts.

We have had several below freezing days, then it has warmed up a bit, but will get cold again mid-week.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 19 Nov 2013, 14:38

Yes, that little guy's going to be alright once he learns the rules. Young animals're just the same as babies. Some learn more quickly than others, that's all. He sounds lovely though.

By the way Gary, excuse my ignorance, but what's a doxie? Is it a cross Dachshund or something??

Oh dear - you've fallen below freezing already? Mind you, we're due to hit about 1C tonight, so who knows? It's been a glorious day in part, with some bright sunshine, but it hasn't been warm at all. Snow might hit the Pennines tonight, and then it'll be our turn. I love to see it, but when it finally starts to thaw, it becomes lethal.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 20 Nov 2013, 13:27

Doxie is short for Dachshund, mine have been pure bred with papers. Mimsy(d) and Myrrh.
Although I didn't have the papers for the ones rescued. Cookie(d) and Bubba(d).
All of the rest of our rescues are mixed breeds. Lacie, Marcie, Boonleigh, Maggie and Moky.
(d) is for deceased.
Niehman and Heath were pure bred Doxies, donated after Ruth passed away.
It still breaks my heart to having parted with Niehman.

We are in the 45s to 50s today here. 32 is freezing on our scale.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Nov 2013, 14:44

Amazing how that weather of yours can change so quickly, but then, the same's happening everywhere. Throughout today and until about 2 a.m., the temperature's varying between 3C and 6C, so it's warmer than yesterday, but it doesn't feel like it! Also, those temperatures here'd feel different somewhere else. The UK's damp, and any warm summers're humid. It's not often we get a "dry" heat, like you'd get in the Canaries, for instance.

Ah - so now I know what a doxie is! : )

For me personally, they're too small. I like bigger dogs - although I like them all when it boils down to it, but you know what I mean. I wouldn't buy a little dog myself, but they can all be cute. My friend's mad on chihuahuas, and you can't get much smaller than that, especially as she has a thing for the Teacup breed, which are really tiny. They're all ever so friendly, but I'm afraid of treading on them, as they tend to follow you about.. I've already sat on one in the past, and just about squashed it flat, poor thing!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 21 Nov 2013, 12:56

Bubba was a standard size Doxie. Folks are so used to seeing the miniature or teacup, and with the standards being so rare now. They are sometimes shocked at their size.
Consider how large a standard size poodle is, compared to a miniature, and a toy is even smaller yet.

We have both big dogs and small dogs. Boon is part Brittany Spaniels, and Marcie is a Rhodesian Ridgeback. Both of those are taller than Lacie, the American Beagle, which is taller than the standard Beagle Beagle. Boon is like a horse beside them.
But he and tiny little Moky have hit it off real well. Boon finally has a playmate. But it is funny to watch them. It's like watching a hippo and a mouse, hi hi...
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 Nov 2013, 13:04

LOL!!!! Same as another friend of mine. She bought a Jack Russell as a friend for her over-large Labrador. Well the Lab's crossed with something. She's massive, in height and girth. I keep joking that she's the result of a dog and a lion, but on the opposite side of the coin, the Jack Russell's grown into a lovely but tiny little thing. The two dogs play together, but it's amusing to watch. Fizz, the JR, can get grumpy with her pal, and sometimes bites Honey's tail or neck and gets carried along like that, as Honey, placid as she is, tries to escape her. So yes, hippo and mouse DOES spring to mind! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 22 Nov 2013, 11:34

Moky is more like a Jumping Jack powered by the Energizer Bunny's power source.
He can run around and under the other dogs four or five times, before they can even turn their head to see what happened.
He's not big enough to jump up on a couch yet. But he loves to use the couch and bed as his take-off point.
I fear the way he jumps upward off of things, he will ruin his hips or back, like Doxie's can do so easily.

I used to call Debi's son's dog, HYPERDOG. That dog could jump three or four times his own height with ease. And at lightning speed. Floor to couch to back of couch and all you saw was a brown streak flash past.
All of his dogs were like that.
All of mine were always more docile. Until we got Moky that is.
When I come in the door, and he's in the living room. ALL the dogs come at me at full speed.
The littlest runt Moky, beats every single one of them, and when I bend down to pet him, he runs all the way back to the living room, then back to me again, and does so before of the other dogs have reached me.
Grumpy Lacie, who has NEVER tolerated anyone coming close to her space. For some reason, moderately tolerates Moky.
Moky uses her as a springboard to get on the couch or bed. And Lacie gives her usual warning bark, long after the fact.
They can be so phunny!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Nov 2013, 08:35

:lol: They sure can!

I know exactly what you mean. Our Staffies have "mad half hours". One gets up and suddenly leaps from the floor onto the settee, then back again - and back again. That sets the others off! They can rip back and forth for ages until they get exhausted. Blaze sits there watching them, and then decides to join in. There's snarling and growling - not at each other or anything in particular - as they belt from one place to another. I always end up laughing at them. It really IS funny.

Then you get the greetings. When anyone comes in, the whole pack go zooming off, toys in their mouths and just about using whichever family member as bowling pins as they charge up to get stroked. If you don't stand still for a few seconds, they'd have you over, but they're doing it because they're having a race to see who can reach us first! :roll:

The good thing about it's that they calm down quickly, and then trot after you, tails wagging and the Staffies "talking". Before we ever had them, I was told by someone who bred Staffordshire Bull Terriers that the older they get, the more vocal they become, and it's true, which I find amusing. The dogs seem to know everything we say to them, and they'll talk back to us. Teebie's a real "baby". She lets you know when she wants fussing, or for you to play games with her. Well they all do, but she's an expert at it! She nudges you with her paw, and talks away until you take notice of her. In return, you get smothered in sloppy kisses - and then they're ALL there! LOl - it's lovely isn't it?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Writers Corner