Online Editing Aids

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: Online Editing Aids

Postby Kellemora » 23 Nov 2013, 13:43

They are phun, for sure, for sure.

I spent a couple of years with one of our pooches who loved to make sounds, trying to get them to make a certain sound on cue. Then combine those sounds. After two years of working with him, he was able to say "Grandma," fairly clearly.
But that's as far as I ever got.
My sister had a dog that had a cute howl. She had a piano at that time, and would always hit the same note, until it howled on key. Then she taught it the second note and was working on third note when she finally gave up on her project.
At first, she intended to get rich with a singing dog. But after all the work she did, and by the time the dog learned the third note on key, she forgot the first note, or could not hold them the proper lengths.
Her dreams slowly faded and she quit exerting so much effort working with the pooch.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Nov 2013, 15:45

Aww, lol!

Our dogs've learnt to say quite a few understandable words. Teebs can say: "I want one" when she's after a biscuit. They can all say "mama" - ha ha ha - and various others.

As for dogs howling at, or with, music, I don't like to see it. Some dispute that it's cruel and hurts their ears, but this says otherwise ....

http://throughadogsear.com/why-do-dogs- ... hua-leeds/

Teaching them to emulate our words takes quite a while, but even if they can't say too much, they can sure understand. I can tell ours to go to any of the immediate family, and they go to the right person. They'll pick out the right toy from an array of them. If I say: "What do you want?" they'll bark and let me know - such as if they want to go out, have food, want to play or whatever. We laugh that the youngest's almost human. She seems to know everything. Don't you just love dogs? They're excellent company for anyone who loves them enough to spend time with them and teach them things.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 24 Nov 2013, 11:57

I do know high pitched sounds, that have multiple sound paths within them, confuse a dogs brain.
They will howl and try to get into the range of that sound to drown it out. It may have something to do with if they can match the pitch with their howling, it will cancel out the brain distortion.
But because it is multi-toned, they can't, and it can be very stressful to them.

I've noticed a considerably higher amount of dogs howling since music started coming out on CD's vs records or tapes.
And now that TV has gone HD (Digital) I notice more peoples dogs howl at the TV than ever before.

I took a look at the video. Wish I did that first. Yes, Law and Order is one that will get Maggie howling first, then the rest will follow in suit. Debi just hits the mute button and they all quiet back down.

I think there is a big difference between howling to mask a sound they don't like, because it disturbs their brain, to howling, like at the moon, or howling for the heck of it.

Aunt Francis had four miniature poodles. All from the same litter too. Only one of them ever howled at nothing. Probably because it rarely if ever barked. If she wanted to go out, she would make a short howl sound. It was just her way of speaking.
Sorta like my Marcie. She only barks as a warning. The rest of the time its more like a talking type of growl, it's just her way of speaking. And she does have different words she uses for different things. We have figured out most of them. She's the one who comes to tell me the water dispenser is empty. And I recognize the sound she makes for that with ease.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Nov 2013, 15:54

You've obviously got a good rapport with your dogs. Yes, they have different sounds and ways of talking, just as we do.

None of our dogs bark much. They will if you tell them to, but otherwise, when people might come to the door, or enter the house, they're as quiet as lambs. Blaze, the Alsation, might growl or give a couple of barks, but he soon shuts up, especially if you tell him to, but you wouldn't know that the rest were there.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 25 Nov 2013, 11:24

Mine used to be quiet, but if one barks, they all chime in.
I'm trying to train them to stop doing it, and making some headway.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Nov 2013, 12:05

I used to use a short, sharp "NO!" when they started - and clamp their mouths shut! The ones who obeyed'd get a biscuit, so they all soon followed suit. : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 25 Nov 2013, 15:04

Ice.Maiden wrote:Yes, they have different sounds and ways of talking, just as we do.

You mean, like this? :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S-N7xWWrbo
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 25 Nov 2013, 19:05

:lol: Yes, partly so, yes, but ours grumble away with a deeper tone, similar to this one in the vid - only their words're more distinguishable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofumulqrWSA
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 26 Nov 2013, 03:56

Awww! How could that cruel owner deny poor Viktor his heart's desire? :lol:

What a beautiful dog! :)
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 26 Nov 2013, 09:41

LOL - he's lovely isn't he? I prefer the Staffies to the English Bull Terriers, but my nephew's just been bought one after losing the one he grew up with. He's a gorgeous little chap, and looks very similar to this pup here ...

[ img ]
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 26 Nov 2013, 14:58

While I'm partial to Dobermans, I've had a soft spot for English Bull Terriers ever since the Black Sheep TV series some years back. That dog was ultra cool.

[ img ]
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 27 Nov 2013, 08:28

Oh bless! I've never seen the series, but they're a good breed of dog to have - if treated right - and they learn quickly. They love being around people, so it was a good choice to use him.

Dobermans are also lovely dogs, but I prefer to see them with their ears un-cropped.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Previous

Return to Writers Corner