Welcome to Writers Corner

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Welcome to Writers Corner

Postby forumadmin » 11 Jul 2012, 08:40

As has happened frequently in the history of our forums, our members often know what is best. Their ideas are always reviewed carefully by management, and, when possible, the best of their suggestions are implemented for all of us to enjoy. Such is the case with this forum.

Many of our current members have an interest in and talent for writing. This forum is for them. The venue here is for discussing and learning the basics as well as exploring some more esoteric aspects of writing. It's intended for all audiences so that no prior writing experience is necessary. We are more or less brainstorming here.

While it's not a requirement, I'd recommend that actual pieces of literature authored by our members be published in some other forum. Literature Reviews would be a great place, or better yet publish your completed creations in your own blog in the Life Styles forum. If you don't have space there already, simply ask the administrators to create some for you.

Our forums are a work in progress and the rules for using this one have yet to be fully refined. To begin this adventure we are simply offering a place for like minded people to discuss the details, trials, and tribulations of their writing experiences.

Enjoy.
forumadmin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Welcome to Writers Corner

Postby pilvikki » 11 Jul 2012, 09:27

erm... if this is the writers' corner, would it not make sense to have one's writing in here?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Yogi » 11 Jul 2012, 11:23

I guess it all depends on what you want to do while sitting in the corner. The proposal by Gary was to provide a venue in which to learn the mechanics and basics of writing. Since we already have two forums in which it makes sense to put your finished (or Finnish) product, is it reasonable to add one more?

We have never been noted for our reasonable decisions, and if the consensus is to publish your works here, then so be it. I'm just the guy that makes it all happen. Our members determine what it is that is happening.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 11 Jul 2012, 12:04

Yogi wrote:I guess it all depends on what you want to do while sitting in the corner. The proposal by Gary was to provide a venue in which to learn the mechanics and basics of writing. Since we already have two forums in which it makes sense to put your finished (or Finnish) product, is it reasonable to add one more?

We have never been noted for our reasonable decisions, and if the consensus is to publish your works here, then so be it. I'm just the guy that makes it all happen. Our members determine what it is that is happening.

I have a thought on that.

In all actuality, the name "Literature Review" implies reviews of external (and ostensibly, already published) works. I have my "As An Aspiring Author" thread there, but considering what's been said, it would likely be better in another forum (like in the 'Lifestyles' section), since technically speaking, we should be putting reviews of externally-produced literary works there.

While we could put our writing there for perusal and critique by others, it seems to me that a sub-forum could be placed here. That way, a more detailed and working analysis of writing style and character/storyline development could be performed, rather than just a review.

What say you all?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 11 Jul 2012, 13:11

ay! i mean... i... ay... aye?

with the review i'm not only thinking girls dancing on stage, but commenting on books i've read, not written....

i think our personal efforts should be piled into that same corner, where it would provide something soft to sit on...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Yogi » 11 Jul 2012, 15:12

Then again, there is the Personal Pursuits forum. The name kind of says it all. It's personal, meaning you yourself did it or are involved with it. Literary reviews could be a discussion of your literature or anybody else's. It's not necessarily personal.

Life Styles is the ultimate personal forum. It's about you written by you. The writings in Life Stye are not always of a literary value, but they are always good reads.

Thus, this forum is a special one for writers or people interested in writing. Your masterpiece could appear here, but my understanding of the proposal for this forum is that it would be somewhat of a teaching tool. Of course you need examples of what is being taught, and I guess it could get very complicated from there.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 11 Jul 2012, 15:57

Of course you need examples of what is being taught, and I guess it could get very complicated from there.

ahaa... i see what the problem is... you're looking at this quite differently from how i understood it. say i write a story and want people to give me their opinions. in that case this would be the right place for it.

if you just want to tell stories, well, they can go anywhere at all.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jul 2012, 16:55

Although I'm brand new here, I've already figured out that Writings, Poems, Stories, whatever, already have a place, which is under Personal Pursuits.

Dennis graciously made a Blog for me to place the Writing Hints and Tips. So I was actually surprised, after I finished making a place there called "Open Writing Discussion" for writers commentary outside of the topics addressed, then to come to the board and find the Writers Corner.

For those wanting help with their work-in-progress, I would hold off until I publish some information about Accidental Collaboration. I mention it on my blog already.

Thanks Dennis!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 11 Jul 2012, 17:00

I have another perception entirely. My understanding (or perception) is that Kelly's intention for this forum to be a place where discussion and information can be presented, not only on the "art of writing," but the best methods to employ to increase the likelihood of getting said writing published (successfully, I might add!). Maybe that's my own wishes leaking through.

At any rate, how better to teach or instruct than making a segment of your work available for critique by the 'instructor' (and others)? In my vision, those segments would better be posted here, where it would be understood why they were posted and the resulting comments would be less confusing to others who happened upon them. The purpose of and rules for that sub-forum could be clearly stated in a sticky, which should lead to even less confusion for the "uninitiated."

I suppose we need to wait for Kelly to make his intentions for this forum more clear. It will be he who will do most of the 'instruction', after all, and I'm content to let him decide how far and to what depth he's willing and able to take it. I'm more than willing to share what I've learned, as I'm sure all involved are, but it is he who has the most hands-on experience.

<edit :P > - I see that Kelly's already posted. I'll allow him to take it away! :cool2:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Yogi » 11 Jul 2012, 18:30

At first glance it would seem that Gary's Writing Tips (his blog/journal) and this Writers Corner are redundant. They are both intended to be instructive in some ways. However, blogs follow a protocol wherein the owner creates all the original topics and the readers add their comments. This forum, however, allows for anyone to make new posts. Thus I see what Gary is doing in his blog to be more focused than what we (will) have going here.

Another consideration is search engine optimization. Web crawlers from Google, Bing, Yahoo, and dozens of others will find this Writers Corner and potentially appeal to a broad audience. All blogs are hidden from search engines for privacy considerations. Therefore, if you want to say something useful to more people than just our members, this is the forum in which to put it.

Personal Pursuits is a broad category which includes any authoring our members might pursue. I think it's an excellent place to put your personal work, second only to a personal blog you might maintain on this web site. A blog needs more attention than most other forums in which you may participate, and I can see why people would not have the time to maintain one. Thus the value of Personal Pursuits is demonstrated again.

We are in an exploration stage looking for ways to satisfy the interests of the authors among us. As time goes on rules and guidelines may change to suit the circumstances. For the time being all ideas are open for discussion.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 12 Jul 2012, 02:26

ok... so... what's a blog?

:shifty:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby bermbits » 12 Jul 2012, 07:57

I find myself skimming this and am wondering where the spot is (which forum, blog, etc) to find tips, motivation, and the like - the blog?
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 12 Jul 2012, 14:21

pilvikki wrote:ok... so... what's a blog?

Back in the old days it used to be called members journals. I have since changed the terminology to blog. Anyway, you will find them in the Life Styles forum.

bermbits wrote:I find myself skimming this and am wondering where the spot is (which forum, blog, etc) to find tips, motivation, and the like - the blog?

I guess I'm part of the confusion in that I created this forum while also giving Gary his own blog (journal) space. I'm not sure how this will all develop going forward, but for now the help, hints, and motivation has been taken on by Gary in his blog: Gary's Writing Tips

One way to look at it is that Gary's blog is akin to the two other ask-a-professional forums we already maintain, Ask An RN, and Ask a Veterinary Technician. Each of those "Ask..." forums are monitored by experts in their field and will be answered by the experts. There are corresponding general forums for health and pet issues, but expert advice comes from the person offering it. So it is here. This forum is the general venue for writers, and Gary will lend his expertise to specific questions directed to him.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 12 Jul 2012, 17:08

Don't build me up too big there Yogi!
Just because I write for a living, doesn't mean I'm a writer!
If you're not already cringing from my bad grammar, you soon will be, hi hi.....

I am working on my own project(s), a lot of my work, for others, was published, but not until it was HEAVILY Edited!
Heavily should have been in 72 point BOLD type, hi hi.....

As of today, I have two topics posted in the Blog Yogi set-up for me. I'm trying to keep them short and semi-generic and will get further into those topics after I get some of the basics many fledgling writers are not familiar with yet.

I have already been asked some questions that I didn't feel should be addressed for quite some time yet. But since they were asked, I will see what I can put together that may help somewhat in responding to those questions, but only lightly for now.

And again, if anyone has some helpful tips ore incite into any area of writing that they wish to share, if the topic is not yet covered in my blog, I will be glad to copy it as topic item and give credit to the author for the information posted.
The more topics we can get covered, possibly the better the chance of picking up some more members who work in the various writing fields.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Writers Corner