Secrets of an Elite Group - Curious?

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: Secrets of an Elite Group - Curious?

Postby pilvikki » 11 Jul 2012, 06:12

ah, that clarifies it! :lmao4:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby bermbits » 11 Jul 2012, 07:47

Option D sounds good. I need to generate some income, and after a careful analysis of what I can and can't do, writing is it; that is where I need to spend my time. I have had a few minor successes, so I know I can do it. Perhaps this will motivate me to get going once again.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 11 Jul 2012, 08:43

Well ... what are you all waiting for? viewforum.php?f=241
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jul 2012, 17:59

Hi Bermbits

If I can make a living at it with my Lousy English and even worse Grammar, I imagine it's easily doable for anyone!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby threenorns » 11 Jul 2012, 18:27

that's going to be something i need to pick your brains about: how the hell do you market this stuff? i've tried contacting publishers and magazines etc but get nowhere. i don't even get courtesy form replies - apparently they don't "do" that any more.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Jul 2012, 10:31

I agree. What's the best way forward once you've completed your manuscript?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 12 Jul 2012, 16:54

Very good questions!
It takes some authors close to ten years to finally get published by a publishing house.
One of the keys is having your manuscript in the exact format that publisher accepts, and in the venue and style they are looking to fill at that moment.
Since there is so much to getting published, perhaps I should do an article on it.

There is also another way, other than through publishing houses, a form of self-publishing, which used to be dangerous if you ever hoped to be published, because at one time, if you were self-published, most publishing houses wouldn't talk to you anymore. Unless your works were already topping the charts.

However, things have changed, and many authors are making more money, overall, going the electronic publications route. But there are even tricks to doing that in such a way you can amass a large enough group of readers.
That should be another topic to cover also.

Looks like I'm going to have my work cut out for me.
My original intent was to cover all the different writing basics first.

Threenorns would probably benefit greatly by making her(?) short stories available in electronic format.
I have three fairly close on-line friends, published authors, who now prefer the electronic format.
One of them especially, uses several Short Stories to build up a few characters and plot-lines as an introduction to a full size novel of which they are the key characters in. Readers can still get a hardcopy if they want one, through the electronic source, until sales are high enough that a standard publication run is warranted.
A lot of new authors found their way to success by using this method.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Jul 2012, 17:46

Interesting.

Let me explain about an author friend of mine. She started off by paying for 1000 books to be printed, but lost money at first. Then came her 2nd and 3rd novels, which she did in the same way. She arranged her own book launches, went on radio chat shows and generally advertised herself. She's now pretty much a local celebrity, and you can buy her books in supermarkets and on Amazon. She's going from strength to strength, writes for a city newspaper, has just compered a live show and about to get a book of poems into print. She's also taken part in a show which preceded the Olympic torch procession. There's no stopping her, and this wonderful woman's in her 70's, which proves that age's no barrier if you have the determination.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 12 Jul 2012, 23:26

Kellemora wrote:Threenorns would probably benefit greatly by making her(?) short stories available in electronic format.

If I may be so bold, 3N:

<edit> You know, I've been so busy of late that I put reading 3N's publication off.

I just read it, and I have to say it was a very powerful story! I don't usually read short stories, preferring rather long and complicated reads. My own writing reflects that; my novel currently sits at around 110k words, and I originally planned it as a short historical adjunct to the series I've conceived. It's obvious that I'm going to have to change my reading habits a bit. I'm missing too much good stuff by skipping the short stories and novellas.

If that's an example of your writing, with little or no editing, then I seriously can't understand why no publishing company will accept your writing, or at least talk to you. Perhaps you need to write a series of short stories in the same vein and offer them as a collection.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby pilvikki » 13 Jul 2012, 01:31

that's an idea, glenn!

she can put then out for sure!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby bermbits » 04 Nov 2012, 21:16

Checking back in. I have ideas and some basic skill, but I haven't got the focus or concentration. I did submit a short story to a contest a couple of years ago via Internet, but I still don't know how to get from a Word document, say, to a possible publisher or how to market myself with a proper format and cover. Is there a site that covers basics?
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby bermbits » 04 Nov 2012, 21:19

Me again! Someone recommended Smashwords, but I haven't spent much time there. any thoughts?
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 05 Nov 2012, 12:18

Smashwords has some free formatting books to read that help considerably in getting your book in to e-book format. I know one is called the Style Guide, but don't remember the name of the other off the top of my head.

Conversions from document to e-book formats is quite tricky and the results may be different with each format. Smashwords meatgrinder, as they call it, does a remarkable job of keeping all formats nearly identical. But you do have to know what you can and cannot use in your document. I use a fixed template, no extra spaces, no tabs, etc. following their style guide and it all comes out just right.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby bermbits » 05 Nov 2012, 12:20

Thank you!
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 06 Nov 2012, 12:47

I see I didn't exactly answer your actual question.
I like Smashwords better than any other I've used in the past.
And HIGHLY Recommend them for you e-Books distribution as well.
It does take them a while to get your book onto Amazon, but the hassle of getting onto Amazon yourself, with their gazillion questions, for some, the short wait to appear there is worth it.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Previous

Return to Writers Corner