As An Aspiring Author,...

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: As An Aspiring Author,...

Postby Kellemora » 16 Sep 2012, 11:53

Hi Glenn

If you take Icey's 4th picture down, of the dragon from the top, you could make the background transparent, then convert the image to pure BLACK (or a very dark grayscale which might retain more of the detail), resize it to your needs and rotate it to your desired angles.

Fairly easy to do in Gimp!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Sep 2012, 11:58

I just did it for you, now trying to figure out how to upload it to here.
Be right back!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 16 Sep 2012, 12:09

Here Glenn

I just added it to Pinterest so you can retrieve it from there.
http://pinterest.com/pin/289567451010606208/
I'll also try this to see what happens
Getting the error message "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image."
So, you'll have to go there yourself!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 16 Sep 2012, 12:32

Thank you both for your efforts and research. I've got some more work cut out for me. I've downloaded the dragon image and will see what I can do with it.

I use Photobucket to store the images I post here. There are, of course, limits to the size of images you can post here (800 is the max width...I can't remember what maximum height is, but I think it's 1200), and there are some sites that won't allow you link to their content ("The Dawg Pound" is one of the most notorious, isn't it Icey? :lol: ), but Photobucket is set up for just that purpose. They even have several linking formats to select from, including the (img)(/img) tags that are used here.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Sep 2012, 15:15

Oh dear, yes, I'm familiar with "The Dawg Pound" aren't I?

LOl - go, on let's hope you manage to get the illustrations that you want! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 17 Sep 2012, 11:17

Rather than use places like Photobucket, I've always used a folder on my own web site for things like that.
Either way, I still have to upload it to somewhere then make a link to it.
Pinterest is simple as I have a Pin It button on this machine, but I'm having some big issues with Pinterest at the moment.
9 days for them to correct a simple programming error and they have not bothered to do anything about it yet.
I'm not allowed to LINK my own pictures to my own web site. The reason they give is totally BOGUS! They are claiming I have Nudity and Questionable content on my web site as the reason they have blocked me from linking to it.
But they won't bother to check that their automated system that did that to me is in error.
Nine Days and they keep saying, we'll get around to looking at it, SOME DAY before 2016 rolls around!
I'm not very happy with their LOUSY SERVICE!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 17 Sep 2012, 15:33

LOL!!!!!!

We won't ask what the "questionable content is, Gary"!!! (Only joking).
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 18 Sep 2012, 13:10

That's the whole point, there isn't anything there that would even have a Choir Girl raise an eyebrow!
The way their system is set up, anyone can file a bogus complaint, and the person they complain about is AUTOMATICALLY blocked until Pinterest gets around to checking it out and unblocking it.
The only have probably 1 person handling this 1 day per month, the way it appears!
I know several who have had their accounts blocked, and each and every one of us, the response we get around day 5 to 7 is from the same individual who simply says, I'm working on it. Only one of us has been unblocked so far and that was after they were blocked for over 40 days.
We have narrowed down who we think is doing this to only four people, based on our combined times, dates and when they were in town and decided to cause havoc among our club members. It may not have been them in this case, since anyone can block.
Most of us think the way Pinterest has set up accounts is in and of itself a major BUG in their system programming!
One they won't bother to turn off until they FIX IT!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Sep 2012, 13:25

That's not very good is it? But .. how on earth does someone "block" someone??

Anyway, I didn't doubt for a second that your website's clean. As I said, I was joking - but what you put begged a jolly reply! : )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 19 Sep 2012, 13:43

If you click on an image to open the page it's on, to the right of that is some buttons.
One of those buttons says REPORT this image, then you get a pop-up of reasons why.
If you select certain reasons, the person is automatically blocked until the reason is cleared up, if it can be cleared up that is.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 19 Sep 2012, 14:59

Oh! Well thank you for that simple-sounding explanation Gary, but I don't think my non-techie brain comprehends it!!! Yes, I AM that bad, unfortunately!
: )
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 21 Sep 2012, 12:31

Well, today marks Day TWELVE that Pinterest has left my account LOCKED DOWN due to the AMORAL content of my web site, hi hi.....
I sent them the LINK to my web site and another LINK right to the page in question.
I did receive a follow up message FROM that message!
It said, PLEASE SEND a LINK to your web site so we can have a look at it!
So OBVIOUSLY the person who sent that response to me, does not have the mental or educational capability of reading the message he replied to!

All other messages I've received were auto-generated canned responses that have nothing at all to do with the situation!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 Sep 2012, 18:54

Oh dear! It must be frustrating for you. All I can say, is that I hope your account's soon UNlocked.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 22 Sep 2012, 15:43

I actually received an e-mail from the tech they assigned to it.

They can see I'm locked out, but he says, the lock is not at their end, but they are looking into what might be causing it.

He did also add that it's not at my end, as I cannot lock myself out of their system if I'm connected to it.

If they would only read the e-mails I sent to them, I narrowed down where the problem might be coming from so they could check those sources out from their end.

He gave me three things to try, to see if it might be something on how they stored the files themselves.
Delete the image and upload it again adding the link. Tried that, it locked out the link but let the image upload.

What is really weird is I can link an image to other peoples web sites, but not my own!
Mine is just a simple user account on Comcast, so nothing odd about it.

Oh well, maybe by the time I really need to use it next year sometime, they might have found the bug in their programming.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Sep 2012, 22:47

Can Yogi or Glenn help any more?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 23 Sep 2012, 06:55

Anyone that locks me out doesn't get my business or support. Simple.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 23 Sep 2012, 11:31

Hi Yogi

So, what you are saying is: When your electric goes out, or your phone stops working, you simply quit using those services?

I'll BET you SIMPLY Wait for them to fix it and return to using those services who locked you out!

No excuses now, your word is your word!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 24 Sep 2012, 15:19

Don't put words into my mouth. It's very unsanitary. :lmao4:

I don't see what either of those utility companies have to do with a misbehaved social network website. :shrug:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 25 Sep 2012, 13:28

FWIW: They have finally isolated the problem, it's neither at their end nor at my user end.
Although the error message being shown to me is from there end, more than that one issue can trigger the server error that was replaced with the most likely message attributed to it.
Comcast Cable Company is injecting control data into links that don't belong there!

Comcast is very much like a UTILITY, they are MONOPOLIZED and the ONLY CABLE Company in my area!
We have NO OTHER Cable Company CHOICE to select from, the CITY INSURES THAT by giving them EXCLUSIVES for Big Kickbacks!

We HAVE DROPPED Comcast for Cable TV due to their LOUSY SERVICE and the frau added Dish Network I believe for her TV's.
But if you want Cable Internet, they are the ONLY ONE, and they know it too! They UPPED our prices exponentially for Cable Internet when we dropped the TV package, and all kinds of things have not worked properly since.
High Speed that used to be in the 12 to 16 range is now often in the 3 to 6 range at 16 Prices.
And to make it even worse, it drops out almost 100 times a day too!
Cable should NEVER drop out, it's worse than using a cell phone when not in range of a tower!

How do you NOT USE, the ONLY CABLE SERVICE IN TOWN?????

I can't use DSL at all, we've tried it, it don't work here!
Can't afford a LIVE Satellite Connection!
And it's illegal to use a 600 watt WiFi Transmitter, hi hi.....

Oh, they are contacting Comcast to get them to remove the added data that is messing up thousand if not millions of subscribers.
They can't filter it out at there end!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 26 Sep 2012, 15:18

As they say in the real estate trade, it's all about location, location, and location. Apparently you are located in a sparsely populated area that does not make it profitable for cable companies to set up an infrastructure. Municipalities in those instances will indeed pay service providers to make the service available, but I believe it's in the form of tax/fee incentives. Anything else would be a conflict of interests or outright illegal. You do have alternatives, in spite of them not being to your liking, so that it's hard to see how Comcast would be a monopoly. There is no doubt in my mind that you are being fleeced, but that's the price one must pay for living in remote areas.

If you have cell phone service in your area, you might want to check into the availability of a dongle for your computer. It will be expensive, but perhaps not as much as the cable people are charging you. Unfortunately, Comcast may be the only cell phone network in your area as well.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Writers Corner