As An Aspiring Author,...

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

Re: As An Aspiring Author,...

Postby Kellemora » 10 Aug 2012, 19:25

I've been accused of writing with a double-edged sword, more than a few times.
That which I say I will never do, suddenly appears on the pages, and I done went and writ it down anyhow, hi hi.....
I didn't need any slang or nasty words to get the point across, a little bit TOOoooooo Vividly!
I describe what I see in the image and put it into words. It's up to the pre-editor and rewriters to make it ring.

I've always said, shut the door and leave it up to the readers imagination what goes on behind it.
Then I get it back, don't leave it blank, fill us in!
So I fill it in, then I get it back again with, you didn't need to supply a Polaroid, hi hi....
Atlas Shrugged!
But "I" got him to raise his eyebrow first, hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Aug 2012, 22:14

I think it's boring and unnecessary to fill every page with graphic language. Sometimes it may be necessary, as a particular character might speak in that manner, or words come out in exclamation, but even that's acceptable in comparison to lots of blasphemy. I'm not religious in the accepted sense, but I don't like to hear/read repeated bursts of it, especially when accompanied by strong expletives.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby threenorns » 11 Aug 2012, 05:50

graphic or offensive language is like a really loud drum beat: if it's once in a while, it makes you jump; if it's all the time, it makes you tune out; and if it's in the wrong place, it makes you want to leave the concert.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 11 Aug 2012, 12:26

I think the strongest word I've ever used was 'Dammit Bill' and even that was changed to 'dang it Bill' by the editors.
I try to stay pre-Clark Gable in my censorship of the words I select for use!
It keeps all of my stories open for young readers and parents have no complaints about letting their kids read it.

Not that I write for the Katholik Church, but it never hurts when you find Nihil obstat, Imprimi potest or Imprimatur on your copyright page, and it's worth seeking as well.
I always thought it meant that a book had an association with or contained church dogma that had to be correct.
There was absolutely nothing in these books that referred to any religion, or any tenets of any church.
So I asked the publisher about its appearance. His response made a lot of sense. It simply meant that the book was approved for Catholic readers, that nothing was stated in the book that was damaging to either faith or morals.
FWIW: Apparently, not all of the books published contained this particular copyright page, just those going through certain distribution channels or bookstores.
How he obtained it on a non-religious book was never disclosed, as it was just a part of their service on some titles.
I found it interesting that both releases of 'The Hardy Boys' were approved and many copies bore the required phrases.
Even some of Nancy Drew's mysteries were printed with that approved copyright page added in.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 12 Aug 2012, 13:31

It's been a while, but I'm back, at least temporarily.

Not only have I been editing my novel, as many of you might have surmised, but I've been working solid for the last couple of weeks with lots of overtime. Work wears me out enough, but the overtime is killing me. I need the money, though, since I work sporadically at best.

I've substantially finished my first edit now. I have a few more chapters to re-edit, then I start the second run. That will consist of compiling the whole novel into one document and then reading it, looking for problems of a global nature, like inter-chapter inconsistencies in the storyline. I've already caught a couple, but....

Speaking of "writing with a double edged sword," I've been known to indulge myself from time to time. I agree...vulgarities have their place, but those places should be kept to a minimum. I'm perfectly capable of using innuendos and veiled language to get the same point across. I became rather good at it some years back. :mrgreen:

A couple of pages back, I started listing the titles to my chapters as I named them. Since I've now named them all, I'm bring the list forward and completing it. Here is the list of chapter names, plus the prologue and epilogue:

Prologue - Future History
Chapter 01 - First Meeting
Chapter 02 - Flight Of Honor
Chapter 03 - First Bond (Bet you didn't see that one coming! :P )
Chapter 04 - Into The Wastelands
Chapter 05 - Davram and Harsss
Chapter 06 - Born To Command
Chapter 07 - Prodding The Sleeping Giant
Chapter 08 - Flight Of The Dragons
Chapter 09 - A Never Ending Stream
Chapter 10 - Team's Demise
Chapter 11 - Column Of Fire
Chapter 12 - Firestorm
Chapter 13 - Insurgency Against Injustice
Chapter 14 - The Council Of Ten
Chapter 15 - Message Of Hope
Epilogue - History's Future
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 12 Aug 2012, 15:27

Huge grin. :cool2:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 13 Aug 2012, 20:15

The chapter titles have a nice ring to them Glenn!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Aug 2012, 14:31

All very apt.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 13 Sep 2012, 23:01

For the past few weeks, I've been agonizing over coming up with cover art for my novel once it's ready to submit. I frankly got a bit frightened when another author I know said that he'd sprung for near a grand for the cover art for one of his books!

Well, I've foregone that little expense and came up with my own:

[ img ]

I can't lay claim to the background...that was done by another artist, and is free for commercial use, but I did the dragons, and of course the text. It's a depiction of the scene that is the climax of the novel.

I thought it came out well...what do you all think?
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Sep 2012, 08:44

It's lovely! I wonder if you should bring the dragons in a bit closer though Glenn?

Great, though! [ img ]
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Kellemora » 14 Sep 2012, 12:09

Looks Great Glenn! But I also agree with Icey. The dragons should be a tad bit bigger.
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 14 Sep 2012, 21:20

Wellll.....

That image depicts the climax of the novel. Making the dragons larger would decrease the magnitude of what the fire depicts. It was truly massive.

Besides, I couldn't find dragon silhouettes that were what I needed, so I was forced to create them myself. If I made them any larger, my crummy artistic ability would be revealed. It borders on revealing itself at that size! :oops:

I'll see what I can do, but I'm no artist...I have difficulty drawing a straight line with a ruler. :shifty:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Sep 2012, 07:23

I know what you mean, but don't underestimate yourself. The illustration looks good, but I just thought that making the dragons a bit larger'd look even better.

You may not want to, but there are a few here that you could downsize or use as a template for perfecting them as to how you want yours to look.

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 15 Sep 2012, 10:38

Ice.Maiden wrote:I know what you mean, but don't underestimate yourself. The illustration looks good, but I just thought that making the dragons a bit larger'd look even better.

Unfortunately, what I said about relative size precludes me from doing so, my crappy artistic abilities notwithstanding.

Ice.Maiden wrote:You may not want to, but there are a few here that you could downsize or use as a template for perfecting them as to how you want yours to look.

That's another problem. With the exception of the second from the bottom, all those pictures are side or bottom views. I not only need a top view, but it must be a silhouette, since the bright fire below would render them so. Even if I tried to use that image, such detail would be lost in the glow of the fire beneath them.

As I said above, I don't want to make the dragons much larger because I want to maintain a scale of relative size. The tiny dragons flying against the huge background gives me that scale of reference.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Sep 2012, 17:37

Fair dues Glenn. I know what you're saying, and if you think that's the best way of showing relative size, then yes, it works in that context.

A reader going into a book store or whatever and hunting round for a piece of mythical/sci-fi reading, wouldn't be interested in the technical details or be immediately able to relate the cover to what happens though. This'd only become apparent as they read on.

No matter. You asked us what we all thought. It HAS come out good. The title in bold black stands out against the background colours brilliantly as well.

Of course, a book'd be larger than the example shown above, if we're talking about an actual paperback, so it was with that in mind, that I was thinking of something of these sort of sizes, to show the dragons in more detail .....

[ img ]

[ img ]

:tiptoe:
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 15 Sep 2012, 18:51

Love that bottom image! Too bad it's not a top view. If it was, I'd try using it and see what I could come up with. Even a bottom view would be usable.

You know, I might grab it just for the fire. I'm sure I could modify it and work it into the image. :P
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 15 Sep 2012, 19:23

Hi Glenn! What time is it there? 1.22a.m. here, or thereabouts, so the head's starting to fog ("starting?" I hear you ask!) - lol.

Now don't let me sway you from your original idea. It was just a personal thought, but it's not my book. All I'm saying is, that if any of those pics might've looked possible, then I'm sure you could alter them/add to them, to make them unique. I was thinking more of their size than actual stance, but I'll refrain from going on about the subject, because in actual fact, I DO like what you first came up with.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 15 Sep 2012, 20:04

Ah, but I do have a couple of alterations in the back of my mind, and had them before you made mention. I intended to add dragon fire issuing forth from each of the dragons, but had something else in mind before you posted that second picture. I've downloaded the full-size version, but I may not use that fire, but another, if I can find a more appropriate one.

All I'd have to do is isolate the fire, resize it appropriately, then paste it on to my image via a transparency layer. I'm not sure exactly how that's done (yet), but I'm positive it can be done. If all else fails, I'll do it myself, but I'm not kidding about my artistic abilities. My abilities and proclivities have always lain on a different route and set of skills.

If only I was still in contact with a few of the artists I've met along the route of life. I had one friend while in the Air Force that drew beautifully, though his proclivities were more along the line of superheroes. He could draw a "superman-type" drawing like you wouldn't believe! He even put my face on such a body...LOL! (and you would have LOLed!) :lol:

Ah well, I'm not in contact with such people, so that's relegated to an impossible dream.

Oh, it's probably around 2:00 AM there...it's 8:00 PM here.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Sep 2012, 10:21

You'll get there! I know that you pay attention to detail and won't be satisfied until you get it as near to perfect as possible. Good luck with it Glenn. You may even be able to trace some of your artist friends, but that could take a bit of time.

I found a few pics of fire which you might be able to use, but you've probably done it now.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Sep 2012, 10:48

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]

And this one's a pain, because it's a column of fire, but already spoken for!! :bleh: ..........

[ img ]

[ img ]

[ img ]
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Writers Corner