As An Aspiring Author,...

This forum is intended for our members to discuss issues related to authoring.
Forum rules
-Topics related to authoring are encouraged in this forum.
-Original works created by our members are desirable.
-The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.
-Be prepared to show authorization to publish copyrighted content.

As An Aspiring Author,...

Postby kg » 04 Sep 2011, 19:55

I have read that nothing can inspire an aspiring author more than getting the word out about his or her novel(s) in progress - a little "shameless self-promotion." Since I am, I will! :P

Due to a series of events, and thoughts concerning those events, I recently became inspired to write a series of novels in the Science Fiction and Fantasy genre. I call this series "The Dragonbond Series," the first book of which will be named, "Goodbye Cruel World."

Some of you on nBF are not amongst my FB Friend, and not everyone here is a member of nBF's FB page, so if you are on FB but are in neither of the aforementioned situations, I wish to afford you the opportunity to view the FB Page I've created on the upcoming series.

The Dragonbond Series

Naturally, I ask you to "Like" my page and spread the word among your friends. Not only will it increase its "visibility," but when offering my work to publishers, it helps if I can say, "My Facebook page on the series has xxxx...... (the more "x'es" the better! ;) ) "Likes" on Facebook."

Perhaps I'm being a bit premature in all this, but I felt that by creating the page and its concepts, I would have it already in place, its place preserved against another author creating a series of novels and naming it the same. Also, having not found another novel or series by said name, the page's creation date will afford me evidence of when I created the name in the event of any future "conflicts" which might arise.

I'm also considering creating a LinkedIn account. That would further expose my upcoming novel and series, considering it's a site more focused on the "Professional." Would you believe that one of my (former) FB Friends (former, because he has temporarily suspended his FB page, but has one on LinkedIn) is the director of a prestigious New Orleans library? I come to the field already well-connected! ;)

For those of you here that are already "in the know," I've recently been experiencing illness and have progressed very little except in refining what I've already written. I think I've improved the quality of the read exponentially (thanks to Strunk's "Elements Of Style," along with your suggestions), as well as come up with a few other ideas I wish to incorporate into the story line. Thank you all for your considerable help in this project!

Now, back to work! :mrgreen:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Re: As An Aspiring Author,...

Postby pilvikki » 04 Sep 2011, 20:48

yeah... stop yer dawdling... :P

seriously, i hope you'll be right as ... rain? asap! [why rain? sometimes it's right, sometimes it's not. like when it's horizontal.]

well, you're serious about your book. glad to see that! how many people start something [ :oops: ] and then won't take it that final bit?
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 05 Sep 2011, 06:22

I'm sure all's going to be well, Glenn - and I hope you soon feel a load better. x
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 05 Sep 2011, 07:04

Just a word of caution about advertising your yet to be published works: copyright.
It won't assure that your ideas will not be stolen and published before you do it yourself, but it does give you some legal recourse when your material is copyrighted. Be particularly wary of intellectual property thieves on Facebook and Linkedin. Many simply lurk and lift without making their presence known.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby kg » 05 Sep 2011, 08:40

Let me assure you of something, Yogi;

I'm not even considering posting any of my content on any of those sites. The most those pages will see will be in the form of a very general outline similar to the one already posted, and the one already posted is very likely to be it.

I will post progress notes from time to time, but they will be confined to progress notes, only. I know very well what such a page entails. Everything is open to the public. A person who runs across it doesn't have to send a "Friend Request" and hope to be accepted. All that person has to do is click "Like" and that person is in and has access to all information on that page.

I might be tempted to print an "excerpt" from time to time to stimulate interest, but I doubt it. Until I have a copyright firmly in place, the actual text of the book shall remain private to me, and to the people I've entrusted to be my editors.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 05 Sep 2011, 16:36

I think that's the best idea. The less that know of it, the better.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 06 Sep 2011, 20:23

In my search for aids to this endeavor, both in development and writing style improvement, I have found an excellent community site (two, actually, but related to each other):

Elfwood - Science Fiction, Fantasy and FanArt Pictures & Fiction

I have registered with and joined Elfwood. It has a wealth of information and tutorials for the aspiring writer and is geared towards the writer that aspires to write in the SFF genre. It has a wealth of information for artists in that genre, as well. Some of those artists are quite good! I might need the services of a good Sci-Fi artist at some time in the future, both for cover and chapter art.

Elftown -

Elftown is the fantasy and science fiction community for artists, writers and hangarounds. It should be easy to find other people here and to discuss whatever you like.

On Elftown you can get help with your drawings, publish your work for friends or everyone and meet friends for life from the entire world. You can put people, forums or interesting pages on watch, so that you don't miss anything that interests you.

This site is associated with Elfwood, and it has more stringent registration requirements. In order to register with this site, you must not only apply, but your application must be accepted before you are registered and can access it. I have made my application and confirmed it, but I am still awaiting my acceptance email.

Not to worry, though...though you can submit your works for others to read and comment on, I'm still highly leery of posting uncopyrighted material on line. While I might post excerpts for comment (which I highly doubt), I won't post anything there on which I haven't obtained a legal copyright, unless my understanding of copyright laws indicates that I would be safe in doing so.

These two sites are very interesting and sound like a couple of fine resources. If anyone else enjoys Science Fiction and Fantasy, you might be interested in these sites. They are not just geared towards artist and writer, but enthusiasts, as well. They are both based in Sweden, I believe.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Tomsk » 08 Sep 2011, 13:53

get copyrights..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby kg » 08 Sep 2011, 22:41

In regards to the copyrighting issue, I've found an excellent ".gov" resource website on the subject:

http://www.copyright.gov/
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 08 Sep 2011, 23:14

The very first document I downloaded for viewing contains some interesting information:

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is cre­ated, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord for the first time. “Copies” are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm. “Phonorecords” are material objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes, CDs, or vinyl disks. Thus, for example, a song (the “work”) can be fixed in sheet music (“copies”) or in phonograph disks (“phonorecords”), or both. If a work is prepared over a period of time, the part of the work that is fixed on a particular date constitutes the created work as of that date.

I'm not sure how the above (especially the "fixed" part) would work if one edited the work after "fixing" it on media (in my case, it would be printed), but I would assume that upon editing and "reprinting" it, that would fix a copyright to that edited work, as of the date of editing and reprinting. In fact, from the portion that reads:

“Copies” are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device...

I might make the further assumption that a computer and mass storage media would fall under the definition of the "material objects" above. I'm not sure, but I'll be doing further research on the subject.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Tomsk » 09 Sep 2011, 03:36

go to it and good luck....
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Sep 2011, 18:37

Glenn hun - it's easy to copywrite your work. All you need to do is send a copy of your work back to yourself, by special delivery, and it's advisable to put the copywrite logo against your name at the bottom of it.

"It's a good idea to mark your work with the international copyright symbol © followed by your name and the year of creation. This will identify you as the owner of the copyright which will make it easier for a potential user to seek your permission."

You can also send a copy to your bank, or to a solicitor, for safe-keeping, but obviously that amounts to paying a fee for their services.

I think these rules apply to work done in the UK and most other places of the world.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 09 Sep 2011, 19:15

Ice.Maiden wrote:Glenn hun - it's easy to copywrite your work. All you need to do is send a copy of your work back to yourself, by special delivery, and it's advisable to put the copywrite logo against your name at the bottom of it...

...I think these rules apply to work done in the UK and most other places of the world.

Actually, though it might be done that way there, it isn't here. From the U.S. Copyright Office website linked to above:

I’ve heard about a “poor man’s copyright.” What is it?
The practice of sending a copy of your own work to yourself is sometimes called a “poor man’s copyright.” There is no provision in the copyright law regarding any such type of protection, and it is not a substitute for registration.

While such a document might provide further proof of infringement due to my quotes above, it wouldn't be much. Probably better would be to have that copy notarized. That would put an official date on it, providing much better proof of when it was created. As was said above, though, it's not a substitution for actual registration.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Sep 2011, 20:16

Ah - I see. Well whichever you do, I'm sure you'll safeguard your work, just as anyone who was serious about it would.

There are conflicting stories as to the best way to protect your manuscripts, but I know that it hasn't cost my author friend a penny to protect hers, apart from mailing it.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 10 Sep 2011, 06:42

don't worry Glenn..get well soon ..laughter is the best medicine...listen To Ice Maiden!"
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Sep 2011, 08:43

Em on its way later Glenn. I have to go out soon.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 10 Sep 2011, 22:23

protect your work! i just realized i lost pretty well everything i've ever written. i thought i had copies on punkin's 'puter but oh yeah... that virus she had a while back...

so, i had mine printed out and copied onto discs, in case a virus hits my computer...

yep, a lot of good that did!

:rain:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Sep 2011, 11:07

Awww ...... there's nothing anyone can say to that, is there?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Tomsk » 11 Sep 2011, 13:24

drat and double drat..
Tomsk
Top Level Poster
Top Level Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 11 Sep 2011, 17:02

Ice.Maiden