Book Jacket and Advertising Blurb Construction

Share your writing skills and creativity.
Forum rules
-This blog is owned by Kellemora
-Read Gary's ABOUT THIS BLOG before posting

Book Jacket and Advertising Blurb Construction

Postby Kellemora » 25 Jul 2014, 09:09

Hi guys

It's been awhile since I posted something in this section.
While rummaging through some file cabinets to share something with Yogi
I ran across an unmarked folder with a single page laying in the bottom of the drawer.

I could have made good use of it when I was writing my book blurbs the last couple of years.

This is an unedited rough draft of a method I worked on and developed sometime after 2006, and must have considered it completed in 2008. I thought I would put it here just to see if I get any feedback.
I called the system LEOPARD, but never carried it further. I see why after reading the example I used.

LEOPARD, your fast track to book blurb perfection.

A perfect description is short, informative, attention grabbing, and dramatic.

The short summary featured beside your book cover, is the most important part of marketing. It provides the captivating information necessary to draw your reader, and sets the mood to entice them to learn more. Seven essential key elements are required to lure a reader to purchase your book. Five of these answer the readers primary questions, and where many authors end their books description. The reader must have a heartfelt reason to care about your characters, and how the story draws from their own personal feelings. I developed the acronym LEOPARD as a reminder of these elements.

L ocation
E ra
O pposition
P rotagonist
A mbition
R esolution
D isposition

Brevity is the key to writing the perfect blurb. Keep common essentials short to leave room for situational responses.

L ocation: One or two words will suffice here. E.g., Paris.
E ra: A date or short phrase may be used here. E.g., The last decade.
O pposition: The primary situation affecting the characters. E.g., Zombies invaded Paris.
P rotagonist: Qualifications of the characters to meet the opposition. E.g., Experienced Zombie hunter.
A mbition: Here is where we give the reader reason to care about the characters intentions.
R esolution: How the characters may beat the odds if successful. Leave mild doubt, but high hopes.
D isposition: Set the mood to draw on the readers own feelings. The reason they must read on.

Example:
New York City. The bleak dystopian future arrived. Violence is prevalent, and TV's blare mindless propaganda. Literary works face extinction, as the post-war acidic atmosphere dissolves paper. Salt miner Francis Blake discovered a way to halt the destruction, but a militant government sealed the mines. The possession of any alkaline substance is cause for immediate execution. Blake soaked canvas bags in salt water, and allowed to dry, as protection from the acidic air. They carry the rare books he steals from the abandoned federal library at night. He smuggles them past security guards to store in a forgotten section of the mine. He saved only a small portion of the worlds greatest works before guards discovered his fastest route. Time is running out, and more secretive routes are difficult for someone of his advanced age. He can trust no one with their location, except his granddaughter, for disclosure to a hopefully safer future generation. The future rests in his hands.

Copyright 2008 by Classic Haus Limited, L.C.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Gary's Writing Tips