Attracting Literary Agents

Share your writing skills and creativity.
Forum rules
-This blog is owned by Kellemora
-Read Gary's ABOUT THIS BLOG before posting

Attracting Literary Agents

Postby Kellemora » 17 Jul 2012, 12:40

Topic: Attracting Literary Agents

How many ways are there to find an agent?
More than I care to count!
Every conceivable approach has been tried, amended, retried and tried again.
All these time worn methods of finding a literary agent often prove unsuccessful!

Finding an Agent was almost as hard as finding a Publisher, time consuming and costly.

The latest of these often unsuccessful methods, involved attending events where you could pitch your book to agents, very nerve wracking, and often involved several expenses, travel, food, lodging, etc.

I feel there is a better way!

In lieu of scouring listings to find an agent, sending out numerous inquiries that go no where, only end in a slush pile. If you paid attention to my Topic, I stated Attracting Literary Agents. The approach I will be talking about is different from contacting hundreds of agents in hopes of attracting their attention; you are still trying to find an agent using those old methods.

Trying to query agents place you in heavy competition with thousands of others doing the exact same thing. Your strength may be in writing, but not so hot in compiling persuading query letters. No matter how you look at it, the old ways are working against you, not for you.

Wouldn't it be great, if instead of seeking out an agent who might do something other than toss your manuscript in the slush pile; what if they came looking for you; because they want your novel. It is not hard turn those tables around 180 degrees and get agents to seek you out.

Thousand of new authors have done just that! Rather than hunting down agents; agents are coming to them and their works are being published. More and more agents have turned to using the Internet in their quest to find new authors, titles and brands. You can attract an agent just as easily as attracting readers by using social media and blogs to promote your book.

Publishers looking for fresh new ideas, seeking for something for a niche they are known for providing publications in, are often scouring the Internet. Many new authors who seem to have appeared out of nowhere and became successful, were discovered in this fashion.

All it takes is to get that lure into cyberspace, keep the hook baited with helpful and interesting commentary about your new book, watch the bobber and when it is tugged under, set the hook. You will soon be reeling in more agents than you know what to do with! Keep the trophy size and practice catch-and-release with the little shiners.

Respectfully Submitted
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

S1-V12-I06
Copyright © 2012 by CHL, LC
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Attracting Literary Agents

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Jul 2012, 03:15

Thank you for that. Makes sense.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby threenorns » 18 Jul 2012, 09:08

thank goodness for the internet! before, you needed to have published work in order to attract an agent; except publishers mostly weren't interested in unrepresented writers - so you needed to publish in order to attract the agent that you need in order to publish! (kind of like the trap faced by homeless ppl: they need a job to get the money they need to get the permanent address they need to get a job!)
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 18 Jul 2012, 11:21

Hi Three
I didn't get to deep into that topic, because the times are just changing so fast.
Now with e-book sellers, authors can test the waters with a few short stories to see how well the concept is accepted.
Authors build up a following of readers, get a couple of novels out there, making money, and before long, a publisher or agent starts giving them a closer eye.
Several of the fellows I work with, who never dreamed they would ever get a book published, started with a few free short stories, then a novel for a better than fair price, and a couple are raking in about what the published authors do.
I don't know if Smashwords has purchased a book publishing machine yet, in order to offer books in hardcover or paperback, if a client requests same. Amazon has, and I'm not sure, but Smashwords may use Amazon as one of their outlets?
I think KG or someone mentioned one of these e-book to paper book machines last week.
When I near completion of my next book, I will probably go the Smashwords route myself. Less headaches!
TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 18 Jul 2012, 20:32

Kellemora wrote:I think KG or someone mentioned one of these e-book to paper book machines last week.
When I near completion of my next book, I will probably go the Smashwords route myself. Less headaches!

Actually, it's more likely I was referring to this (from my "As An Aspiring.." thread):

Espresso Book Machine

The EBM will transform your work into a paperback book complete with a full color cover and a black and white interior, indistinguishable from books produced by traditional publishers.

There are no minimum print runs, so you can print as many or as few copies of your book as you want, when you want. You can even print a work-in-progress, uploading revised files and printing new versions at any time. You can offer your book for sale or keep it private (printable only by you) - whichever best suits your project. And if you do choose to make your book available for sale, you retain all rights to your work and are responsible for setting your own retail price.

Of particular interest:

Now you can also make your book available on any other Espresso Book Machine worldwide. The EBM's EspressNet makes it possible for your book to be accessible to anyone interested in your work but who happens to live in another state or even another country. Our EspressNet program is included as part of our Standard Self-Publishing Set-Up. Should you elect to sell your work over EspressNet, all sales are tracked and payment flows back to you, the author, consistent with the consignment program offered by your EBM location.

I can't figure out why there isn't at least one location in the St. Louis area, especially considering I read that it's inventor is from St. Louis. The nearest to me is Columbia, MO, with the second closest being in Champaign, IL.

Locations Map

Kelly, you really have a commute; the nearest one to you is in Hotlanta, with the second closest in either Raleigh, N.C., or one of my 'closest' locations. It's too close to tell, and I'm not willing to look up the miles.

3N, if you live where I think you do in Canada, you're sitting pretty. There are locations in Hamilton, Waterloo, and Toronto...not too far from where (I think) you live. Other than those, there are a couple of locations over in the NB and Nova Scotia area, and one in Winnepeg.

Should either wish to avail her- or himself, Icey and Tomsk aren't too poorly situated, either. There are locations in London and Canterbury.

Hooch has more of a commute though, if she's still in Finland. She has the choice of The Netherlands, or Kiev in the Ukraine...by what I see, quite a distance to either location.

I wouldn't at all mind seeing that network expand. I think it's an excellent idea. I'm thinking of making the commute over to Columbia, MO, to print out a few copies of my novel when I have it 'acceptable', just to have a few personal "hard copies." That's still some time in the future, though.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby threenorns » 18 Jul 2012, 20:38

LOL - canada is deceptive that way: it would take mom less than 5hrs to drive from paris to the netherlands. it takes me 3hrs to drive to toronto. it's only 2h to drive from st louis to columbia - 1/2h less than driving from here to peterborough for one of saari's appointments. in canada, driving is a way of life - an hour's drive to go to tim horton's is pretty much par for the course.

EBM sounds like a cool idea!

smashwords publishes to barnes and noble, chapters/indigo, amazon (pending - there's issues getting the hardware and software to play nice), kobo, apple's itunes, sony, diesel, page foundry, and baker-taylor.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 18 Jul 2012, 21:29

It seems like a good business proposition, too, as long as you have a good location and can generate sufficient interest. With several colleges in the St. Louis area, I'm even more surprised there isn't one here in the immediate area.

Not only would that be a good venue for college texts and writings, but it brings into reach books from around the world whose authors couldn't attract the interest of publishers, or were long out of print, etc. It's exceptionally good for those who, for one reason or another, don't have Internet access for the various e-books available, or want them in hard copy.

Of course, as with any business venture, there must be a need for the product, or at least interest expressed in it. Otherwise any new business is likely to fail, not just this one. It is a great concept, though, in my opinion.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby kg » 18 Jul 2012, 21:44

As a thought to the above:

It seems to me that the Espresso network, if expanded sufficiently, would be a good medium from which all the publishers you listed, like Amazon, B&N, and others, could distribute their (hard-copy) books. I know that some of them (specifically like "Books-A-Million," which is B&N) have their own store fronts, but Amazon and others don't. EBM would be an ideal method to distribute their books sans shipping charges.

As for those who have store fronts, it would be a great addition that would enable readers to get what they want without going all the way to the store, only to find the book they want is either sold out or not carried by that store (or anymore). That not only would up their 'bottom line', but increase the revenue of those who maintained the machines at their location.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 19 Jul 2012, 13:48

FWIW KG

Espresso is only one of over fifty Print-On-Demand publishers I already know about.

When I first saw your post, I thought it was the manufacturing company wanting to sell the machines themselves.
Which is why I didn't make a comment about it at the time.

Not familiar with their particular machine, and not knowing what brands of machines other POD publishers use, I'm pretty much in the dark over making any valid comments about them.
Other than to say, I've seen prices vary greatly, and quality vary even wider.

Aventine Press is one that does a remarkable job with decreasing costs for higher runs.
I've not seen a whole lot of these out there yet, Diggy is another who does excellent work.
And many have outlet sources for paperback or hardbound, for a fee of course!
But usually no where near the price of Vanity Presses.

I'm sure many places local to you have POD machines, they just don't let it be known to the public.
Afraid they might mar their image as a publisher, hi hi.......

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Gary's Writing Tips