New Novel Outline

Share your writing skills and creativity.
Forum rules
-This blog is owned by Kellemora
-Read Gary's ABOUT THIS BLOG before posting

New Novel Outline

Postby Kellemora » 13 Jul 2012, 22:18

Topic: New Novel Outline

It seems I have not yet mastered this forum, the formatting codes I required for indenting were not recognized even when used in brackets.

I spent most of today adding commentary to the Outline I normally use, the commentary follows the Outline's Line Titles, using the same indentations as the Topic Only outline.

I am provding two links, the first link is to the PDF, the second is to an HTML file, unfortunately, I did not have time to add breaks, so the HTML file does not word-wrap.

This Outline might seem a bit confusing, unless you are accustomed to working with outlines already; however, I chose to make it available, as I may refer to the Elements Section of it quite frequently in my discussions.

New Novel Outline PDF

New Novel Outline HTML

Respectfully Submitted
Gary V. Deutschmann, Sr.

S1-V12-I04
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: New Novel Outline

Postby kg » 18 Jul 2012, 21:03

Indenting?

Do you mean, like this?
      and this?
        and this?

That's one of the functions of the "List" tag. In order to further increase indentation, the "list" tag can be nested. This is how I composed the above:

Code: Select all
[list]Do you mean, like this?
[list]and this?
[list]and this?[/list][/list][/list]

No, I'm not a genius...I've just been around this board for a few years.

:mrgreen:

A full explanation of the tag functions, their format, and what they do can be found at this link.

(DISCLAIMER: Nest functions at your own risk. This board is not responsible for data loss or damages, either implicit or implied) :P
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby threenorns » 19 Jul 2012, 00:13

haven't looked at the outline yet (right now, i have three short stories in the shadowcats line - damned things popping up like mushrooms! - plus the second in the paramnesia book all yelling at me to be put down on paper) but i have another book that's started that will definitely need an outline situational thingie because it's one long narrative and i'm just no good at those.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 19 Jul 2012, 13:52

Thanks for that info KG

When I have time, I'll work on my list and use the word list to get it right so I can post it.
Although, each author usually has their own way of setting up their work.
I do mine that way, but it doesn't look like it in actual usage.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 20 Jul 2012, 21:30

Formatting could be more pain than it's worth, unless you are trying to make a reference document that anybody can view. In that case it might be worth the effort to do it up fancy.

Our forums do not get a lot of visibility and the BBCodes could be a bit cumbersome. So, you may not want to put a lot of effort into formats here. If you are familiar with HTML and CSS, our BBCodes are very similar to use. We don't allow direct posting of HTML for security reasons
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 20 Jul 2012, 23:57

Hi Yogi

I recently redid my own web site in XHTML/CSS to W3C specs.
But that don't mean I remember how I did it now that the paint is dry, hi hi.....

I did try a few tags, both the html way and using the brackets, but just didn't hit on the ones that would work.
I was actually surprised the (pre)(/pre) didn't work, I used parens on purpose here.

I probably won't redo it, since the link pops it right up.
And as you said, not a lot of writers yet. I keep inviting them though!

Thanks
TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 21 Jul 2012, 23:39

HTML tags will not work in our forums. Our native BBCodes are based on HTML, but only a limited number of tags are available in that markup. CSS will not work at all here.

I recently redid my own web site in XHTML/CSS to W3C specs.

Now all you need to do is find a browser that is fully W3C compliant so that it can reproduce what you have constructed. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 22 Jul 2012, 00:18

I didn't use any oddball stuff! I've checked it on all the popular browsers and it seems to look the same on all of them.

Sometimes a page might have some blank space at the end, but not usually.
I had to do some things to get the float to work properly, which is what causes a long page on some browsers.

But as I said, once I finished it, I forgot how I did it!

By the way, is there a list somewhere of the codes that do work on here?

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 22 Jul 2012, 03:44

Kellemora wrote:By the way, is there a list somewhere of the codes that do work on here?

Yes, there is:

kg wrote:A full explanation of the tag functions, their format, and what they do can be found at this link.

You can find this link when posting. It is near the bottom right of the window when you're composing a post that says, "BBCode is ON." Clicking on "BBCode" will take you to the same page as my link above.
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 22 Jul 2012, 11:12

Hi KG
Thanks for the link, I did find it on my own, but the (list) feature didn't look like it would do what I wanted.
However, your earlier example hit the nail on the head for me!
TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 27 Jul 2012, 12:53

Kellemora wrote:I didn't use any oddball stuff! I've checked it on all the popular browsers and it seems to look the same on all of them.

Web page design is a fun thing if you don't mind the inconsistencies among browsers. I've found that HTML tags are not enough in most cases. Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) can be made to format a web page to do things above and beyond what HTML does. It takes some learning and experimenting, and for the occasional designer it's probably not worth the effort.

You did the right thing by verifying your web page in the popular browsers. Of course, it matters what version of the browser you used for the check because they vary from version to version. It's a real nightmare if you want things to be perfect across the board, but not much trouble if you just want something reasonable. Some of those auto web page making applications can be invaluable for the occasional page design. They are terribly inefficient from a coding point of view, but for a one time project you can get the look and feel you want quite easily.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 27 Jul 2012, 15:01

Hi Yogi
I don't remember the name of the web site now, but after I finished coding my revamped web site in XHTML/CSS, I ran it through them and it showed me what my pages looked like on like 25 or more different browsers.
Which of course meant I did have to make a few adjustments here and there to find a happy medium.

If you haven't visited my web site yet, I have some interesting things on pages other than the index
page, like a floating image, which was a real devil to get to work right on most browsers.

http://home.comcast.net/~classichauslimited/index.html

Here's a straight link to one of the interior pages.

http://home.comcast.net/~classichauslimited/htmlpgs/azno.html

The only thing I never got around to doing is placing my favicon.ico in there.
And now I don't remember how to do that anymore, without boning up on it again.
Seems like the reason was that of the supposed 15x15 or 17x17 limit, yet everyone I know was using a 32x32 somehow. Someone sent me to a web page to make my 32x32 favicon, it looked great, but didn't work, so I pulled those lines from my code.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 28 Jul 2012, 08:36

The favicon is a tricky item. I believe all you need to is to create it and store it in the site's root directory. However, browsers take quite a while before they find it and start to apply it. When I was looking for a method I ran across a web page to help do it, but have long since lost the instructions. I have not idea how people can use graphics beyond the 15x15 limit, but they certainly do.

I've looked at your "outline" post and must congratulate you. It's a magnificent job of formatting. :mrgreen:

Your web site is excellent and has some decidedly challenging aspects to the formatting and layout. You are to be admired for your tenacity in getting it to the state it is at. The Amateur Radio section was particularly interesting to an ol' ham like me.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 28 Jul 2012, 16:37

Thanks for the compliment Yogi!

With all the changes in web browsers over the year, my old original had much broken stuff in it. Plus the ISP back then had a file size limit, so as I added things, I had to take things off.

Thanks to all the helpful web sites out there, learned a little from each one, and when I hit a snag, had to study some more. But as you see, I eventually got it all put together. Still a lot of pages missing yet, so I guess I should kill the links to nowhere until I find those pages again.

Oh, the outline was simple, once I knew the right code to use for it. Just keeping track of each open and close to make sure they were all closed properly. And then I though, ut oh, I'll bet it's too big for the allocated space. Guess I lucked out there!

In thinking back about my favicon, it seems that it worked on the index page, but not on any other page, unless I added it to each page. For some reason I couldn't get CSS to handle it for me. And I ended up getting involve in other things.
Never finished the last few Family Newsletters, had a heart attack in 2010, got hit by a hailstorm in 2011 that busted 6 of my roof rafters, went three months with no roof, so have been busy as a wet hornet getting a new kitchen in, with lots of tricky work involved in that project. I made little alcoves for fridge, range, washer/dryer, double alcove for dryer vent. All the plumbing and wiring, in a crooked little house with crooked little walls and a very crooked little floor and ceiling, hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Yogi » 29 Jul 2012, 08:22

It's excessive, but we are allowing 25,000 characters per post. I can think of only once or twice when that was not enough for some of our members. :mrgreen:

The favicon was always a mystery to me. My understanding is that it needs to be placed in the correct directory and that the browser being used detects it. It has nothing to do with HTML or CSS, although it does have to be in the correct format. As you can see by the ones we use, I'm no artist. I made them more of less for my own purposes so that I can tell what each tab in my browser is focused on.

You seem to be quite a busy person involved in numerous projects. That's what keeps the mind fresh.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 29 Jul 2012, 20:44

Hi Yogi

That's roughly 4,000 words or a half hour of commentary. Yeppers, that sounds like plenty, hi hi.....

Many long years ago, I used to design Icon's for a game maker, one pixel at a time.
It was very tedious to get the look they were after too!

Almost all of my projects, except writing and renovating, have come to a halt since the hailstorm demolished our house.
I'm finally getting a little bit of a breather though!

Have a nice evening!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 29 Jul 2012, 21:45

Yogi wrote:It's excessive, but we are allowing 25,000 characters per post. I can think of only once or twice when that was not enough for some of our members. :mrgreen:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 30 Jul 2012, 07:36

Well, I've hit it once myself and had to truncate in order to post! But I think that was in the message system, not the open boards.

Hey KG, I have a trivia question for you, since you brought up Albert Einstein in your tag line.

Do you know what Pen Name was used by a person named Albert Einstein and their middle name?
FWIW: It was not THE Albert Einstein who made the quote in your tag line!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Gary's Writing Tips