Open Writing Discussion

Share your writing skills and creativity.
Forum rules
-This blog is owned by Kellemora
-Read Gary's ABOUT THIS BLOG before posting

Open Writing Discussion

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jul 2012, 16:44

Topic: Open Writing Discussion

Hello fellow nBF Members

This is the place to ask questions, share writing experiences, provide answers, or just find ways to visualize yourself as a writer.

As new Topics appear, if your discussion is associated with that topic, please share your helpful comments in those areas, where others can find them more readily.

I'll try to get this started by asking: How do you assess your writing situation?
Do you write for a specific audience first and then consider an appropriate subject or purpose?
Do you select a subject and then narrow it down to specific segments within that subject?
Or do you have an Idea and begin to develop and shape it into a venue you prefer?

Welcome neoBrainFormation Members to my Blog!

Enjoy!!!!!
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Open Writing Discussion

Postby threenorns » 11 Jul 2012, 17:57

mine is wierd - i get stories dropped into my head whole-piece. it's just a matter of putting it on paper - sometimes i'll go over and revise and edit and whatnot but i try not to because then i start second-guessing and adding unnecessary stuff and then have to go back and fix other stuff to fit the new stuff in and then i'm lost and now i'm bored.

here's one: i have a boatload of orphans languishing on my computer. right now, i have a story in the back of my mind that ties in with Shadowcat - but i found an orphan that is still fresh in my mind (as soon as i read it, the concept came right back, which is unusual). how do i prioritize which one to finish first?
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 11 Jul 2012, 19:49

The one that captivates your interest at the time is the story to work on.

I think all of us have several orphans tucked away.
I almost hate to change some of them, they just ring so well to me. But the story is way too good to let lay dormant until I can work it into a series with a sound base.

I might be working on one story, and something I've written jogs my memory and off on a tangent I go, but then I cut it all and save it for somewhere or for something else. I pound it out while it's fresh in my head.

One thing that has helped me with characters, and keeping their looks, mannerisms and habitual comments sorted and clear in my head, is I use friends, relatives and acquaintances, in my profile notes as a memory jogger. But often combine the traits of more than one so they fit my character better. Character A; has hair like uncle Joe, the size and build of uncle Bob, and acts just like Jim the barber. Character B; hair like Einstein, walks and act like aunt Judy, etc. But I do keep a full character sketch on each character and mark which things I've disclosed about each character.

When I sit down to pound out a preliminary draft, it is often around 5k words, that I will cut down to 3k before I start applying the various rules. That being said, most of my daily work, as my job, is pounding out MRU's. By themselves, they seem idiotic and broken, especially if you saw the image, the paragraph describing an element in that image, and then the 10 or 20 MRU lines that are written from that paragraph. But there is a method behind their madness that reduces redundancy and pinpoint clues so they don't get left out or used more than necessary.

On your other comment about secrets of getting ahead. I was thinking of adjusting the spacing slightly and adding the word shop. Secrets of getting a head shop! I hear they make money, hi hi.....

Thanks for visiting my Blog!

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 12 Jul 2012, 02:13

i have a different 'problem"... my stories write themselves. when they do. i start off about something and next thing i know, i'm somewhere where i've never been before... for that to come about, however, i need a certain mindset - which has been somewhat elusive lately.

then i leave the story and go back some time later to see what i've messed up. and then the story is never really finished.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby threenorns » 12 Jul 2012, 02:32

that's something else i tried to explain. to me, writing stories is like photography. when i met him, ganesh was all about "okay, you - stand here and turn your head this way... put your hand on your hip... move your left shoulder... okay, now, you - stand next to her and put your arm around her shoulders and your other hand in your pocket. look casual." and so on. even saari's birthday party, he kept trying to organize and arrange them then get them to "stay still" while he snapped one careful shot after another.

it took him a while to understand what i meant by "just let them do their thing and keep your finger down on the trigger button".

you can't stage-manage your characters - your characters will do what they will do and all you can do is describe the action as fast as you can.

it helps to create ppl in your head. if you can sit down and play a game of cards with them or have a chat over a cup of tea, that's about when they'll be ready to play out their stories for you.
threenorns
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Kellemora » 12 Jul 2012, 15:53

You can do a lot of PHUN things with Short Stories!

However; when you are building a backstory that spans 15 or more decades, covering the possibility of for or five completely separate series's and venues, and may possibly have several different authors working from the same base. Things need to be more highly defined and tracked so you don't continually use the same descriptors for a character or scene.

Many movies and more often TV shows, built upon Episodes, have different authors supply the storyline. Naturally, a furnished storyline goes through quite a bit of editing before they can get it to work just right.

Very few TV shows give contributing authors credit for their work. The only two that pop into my headbone where the author is credited for his/her story, is Dr. Who and Veronica Mars, although I know there are many others. I don't watch TV much, so would miss the fact others give the writers credit. Unless they appear in that list you can't see for the commercials.

If given a topic and venue, I can usually come up with an interesting and captivating storyline, but it always needs a lot of polish by the pro's to render it readable. Because of the type of writing I've done for so long now, I rarely include Character Dialog in my submissions, because our team has members that are top-notch in that arena. I give suggested dialog as part of the storyline, but don't break it out into he said, she said, because it will all get changed anyhow.
I am considered a good scene writer, and am often lauded for coming up with things never used before. And because I'm great at maintaining Character Sketches, I get more than my share of updates dumped into my lap each day.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 13 Jul 2012, 02:41

I found the discussion of 'Secrets' quite interesting. I've incorporated one into my novel, though it's a long range secret presented in the 2nd and 3rd chapters, and only revealed in the final chapter. It's not at all what you were talking about, and not a hint is (or can be) introduced until it comes out, due to 'techniques' used by one of the characters used to convey it. But that's not the point of this post, and why I posted it here.

There's another thing that will hold interest in a novel...sex! No, not X-rated, "slam bam thankyou mam," sex; I'm talking about relationships between the sexes. That is somewhat lacking in my novel. Other than my main (human) protagonist's mother, no 'female' character is introduced in this novel until roughly half-way through, and no interpersonal relationship is introduced until nearly the end. I've been accused of being "male-centric."

There are reasons for this. In the first place, I originally intended that this novel be an historical adjunct to the main series (and still do), not to be read until a reader has read at least the first, and preferably the second novel. I'll have more room to develop my fantasy world and its conditions in those books, and as an historical document, it is assumed that the reader would read it with the "gory details" already known.

I have no room for introduction of 'asides'. At first, as an historical document, I perceived this novel to be shorter...around 60k words, and not likely to be over 80k. I'm glad I decided to keep it as I conceived. The novel now stands at around 110k words. If I'd added all that detail, I'd have had to split it into two (or three) books. I don't want to do that...this is an adjunct to the series, not part of it!

Since it is an historical document, I presented it as a history lesson, chronicled by the combined memories of Lor and Sssarrr, human and dragon, who are the main protagonists. Thus the title, "First Bond - The Chronicles of Lor and Sssarrr."

The prologue establishes that this is a history lesson being given to young hatchlings almost 1000 years later and leads into the start of the story. The epilogue leads out of the story and establishes a few additional facts pertinent to the series, which chronologically starts a couple hundred or so years after that. In fact, a couple of the significant characters in that series is mentioned.

Since it is a 'history lesson', it stands to reason that all asides would be cut out and only the meat presented in the lesson. The only reason I mentioned the interpersonal relationship toward the end is to emphasize the benefits future generations would enjoy through their achievements.

It's the second reason that my novel seems so male-centric which is the main point, though. It seems that my dragons turned out to be bi-sexual--not in the "ambivalent preference" sense, but in the literal sense. They have both 'sets', and reproduce similar to earthworms (though a bit more 'aggressively'!).

I wrote a few chapters for the first book of the series that predate starting this novel. In one of those chapters, I explained the concept:

Technically, it is a misnomer to assign a sex to a dragon; they are both. At mating time, each co-fertilizes the other, then each goes off to raise his brood separately. The two broods are not considered “related,” and they won't meet until after leaving the nest. Such meetings are not always “congenial.” The reason dragons are assigned “male designations” is due to their general demeanor; they more resemble the male humans. Female humans who are bondable are exceedingly rare. They aren't as bold and aggressive as the males, and therefore are not generally compatible with dragons for a Bond. That's not to say it doesn't happen. When it does, the bonded female is assured to be quite memorable!

Though changes are going to have to be made to the above, due to changes in my concepts, that essentially explains the reason that I seem to be male-centric in this novel. Reading this novel in the proper order, the reader would already have been introduced to this and many other conditions and situations regarding dragons, along with the world in which the reside.

The series will have interpersonal relationships described, both human and dragon, though not interspecies! I have a private running joke that dragons are very amused by the humans' desire for privacy during the act (they are quite open about theirs) and find no end of entertainment by peeking around the corner for their reaction (usually involving getting something thrown at them!).

I sometimes wonder whether this novel is a candidate for a first book, lacking "sex" as it does, but it is what it is. The main series is going to require quite a series of books to complete it. I think just getting my main protagonist from here (Earth) to there (Esss-thol) is going to take a novel, getting him adjusted to conditions there and Bonded to his dragon will take another, then getting him and his dragon up to speed and fighting fit, a third.

I plan on another trilogy to portray them in their prime, confronting various threats and situations, all the while developing a larger plot underneath it, for the grand finale. A third trilogy will find them both in their declining years, yet still presented with challenges to overcome, and another major subplot (or maybe a continuation of the previous). I plan them both to "die in glorious battle" before the end, but their progeny picks up the standard and carries it to a successful conclusion.

Can the story be carried on? It sure can, and I'd be happy to see it happen. I wouldn't mind seeing side novels written, either. I may not be able to come up with them, but I'd sure like to live long enough to write some!
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 13 Jul 2012, 20:44

Great info KG!

A story isn't a story without some type of relationships going on!

I can just see your girl dragon batting her big green eyelashes at that handsome fire breathing hunk of a dragon strolling by! hi hi.....

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 13 Jul 2012, 22:30

In answer to your comment, I'll offer a segment of one of the sentences from my novel:

Kellemora wrote:I can just see your girl dragon batting her big green eyelashes at that handsome fire breathing hunk of a dragon strolling by! hi hi.....

That's what you get when you're... "...deep in the wilderness, stuck with a dragon with a.....'sense of humor'!”
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 13 Jul 2012, 22:43

Well, my Tail is a Dragon!
So I'm going to click my heels together a few times and teleport from my garage Man Cave to the bed in my house and hope the sugarplum fairy lets me stay dormant until morning.
TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby kg » 26 Aug 2012, 12:45

As a suggestion for "Writer's Corner," in general:

I've read a plethora of information on "self-promoting your novel" once published, and I've gained a lot of ideas from that research. I'd be interested in hearing your views and suggestions on the subject, so how's about a thread concerning that subject? :mrgreen:
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Kellemora » 26 Aug 2012, 21:36

Hi Glenn

I thought for sure, considering your venue, that you would be following Jonathan Gunson.
You might be? But if not, here is the link to his Twitter Account.

https://twitter.com/JonathanGunson

and here is his web site

http://bestsellerlabs.com/

I will suggest you read all of his Article Posts, then check down the Home Page under Categories.

He has a few web sites and I couldn't find another one of his I wanted you to see.
It tells all about what he did to make Merlin such a success. It's not on his regular web sites.

TTUL
Gary
Kellemora
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Return to Gary's Writing Tips