Cost of Parcel Postage in UK

Gratuitous advice about things that are useful and helpful to know.
Forum rules
Post concise and to the point answers not intended to be lengthy discussions.
Topics may be useful advice, tips, or trivia.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Cost of Parcel Postage in UK

Postby Toula » 20 Nov 2009, 09:05

For those of you living in the UK & who may be posting Xmas pressies to Europe as I am.

Had one to go to Holland, box 30 x 36 x39, it wouldn't have weighed 5 kilos - but that is the weight estimated for size of box mainly. OH took it to the Post Office, cost to post it, price given as £45 - £50 + what insurance & VAT had to be paid. He brought it home again - as per my instructions if they were going to charge over £20!

I went on the Internet, got a courier service to come and collect it from the house, = cost? £15 + £2.25 VAT!! This figure also has an automatic Insurance Cover for up to £50 for contents of parcel. What a difference eh? Furthermore, there will be less handling of the box as they bring is straight to the airport to go on a flight to Holland! With Parcel Force, it has to go from here to England first, then God only knows who long it will sit in a depot there!

I know that when I used this company before, they collected the parcel about tea-time on a Tuesday evening, and it was in Arnhem Thursday afternoon. Sent a small parcel to same place end of September, a present for a New Baby, used Post Office, the parents got it 12 days later!! We'd been to Spain and back in that time!! :sigh:
Toula

Re: Cost of Parcel Postage in UK

Postby Ice.Maiden » 20 Nov 2009, 10:51

I agree with you Toula - the PO charges a LOT. Last Christmas, I was waiting behind someone and saw that the cards she was sending were going to the US like mine were. They cost this woman a lot to send - and mine were heavier and bigger, so when I got to the counter, I asked for three basic stamps to put on post cards to the same place.
I went outside, stuck the 46p stamps or whatever it was now, onto each card and popped them in the post box, taking pot luck.
The cards were delivered on time, at no extra charge to the recipients, so are the PO just conning people into paying more to boost their profits???
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Toula » 20 Nov 2009, 20:32

Yes Ice, I think that is exactly what they are doing! I can't remember how many millions profit they made last year, but I know I nearly choked when I heard it! All these British companies seem to be the same, BT - they're another bunch of faceless gits! I have given up fighting with them over shortchanging me in my Direct Debit from over a year ago! They took the money out of my bank account, yet never showed it on my bill - every time I phone, & after waiting at least 30 mins, I speak to someone in a call center in India who cannot understand me speaking nor I them!!

Then here in Northern Ireland, we only have the 1 supplier for electricity - they can charge what they like as they have us by the short and curley's! As for the banks ? Don't get me started on them . . . . . . . . . . Bottom line is Ice, they whole bloody lot of them are screwing the plebs into the ground and getting away with it and none of these so called 'Consumer Watchdog Bodies' are able to do a damn thing about these practices! :bleh: Rant over!
Toula

Postby Toula » 20 Nov 2009, 20:41

Sorry Ice, forgot to say, just in-case you didn't know this already. Another wee tip!. You can buy 1st class stamps in 'Superdrugs' Chemist' @ 5% off their normal price. So instead of using the one 'dearer' stamp for Europe, I just stick 2 of the 1st class stamps (comes to same price as the Euro stamp anyhow!) but at least I've gotten a couple of pence off by buying them in Superdrug! So I buy in a few extra books to cover the next years birthday cards etc!

The majority of my cousins live in Cork, we only ever needed to put the same stamp on mail going there, same as to England. You know what? We now have to put the same price as items going to Europe!! Unbelievable or what?? Like it is only a train journey away, it's not as if mail has to go to England first to be sorted!! I give up! :sigh:
Toula

Postby Ice.Maiden » 21 Nov 2009, 02:52

Yep - I hear you Toula - and thanks for the tip about the cheaper stamps. I'm hoping to gert a friend of mine to put my cards through her work's franking machine though - LOL!!!!! :dancer2:

The phone, gas and electricity companies are terrible - but then, all major concerns are only out for huge profits. If everyone rose up and refused to use them (except for emergencies) just for one day, the loss in revenue'd be colossal. Might serve them right though, although in practice it wouldn't be feasible (shame).

Another strange thing, is that I sent a pair of boots to a friend of mine in Birmingham. It cost me £6...yet I ordered some from Germany, and the p & p was half that!!??
There's something wrong somewhere.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Toula » 21 Nov 2009, 11:11

Yes I saw them boots on you in another thread! :whistle: - Probably 'rushed' to get 'em out of the country :dancer2:
Toula

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Nov 2009, 03:08

Mwhahaha!!! If you saw me in some, then they wouldn't be ones I was parting with! I love them - have far more pairs than I have shoes.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Answers