Senseless Synchronicities?

Gratuitous advice about things that are useful and helpful to know.
Forum rules
Post concise and to the point answers not intended to be lengthy discussions.
Topics may be useful advice, tips, or trivia.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Senseless Synchronicities?

Postby StVandal » 25 Jun 2009, 20:55

I was just reading this article in one of those books of the unexplained (I think of them as interesting campfire stories instead of fact) and these coincidences are all apparently true (or after a quick check online, are either true or unverified). Anyone remember Ripley's Believe it or Not?

Carl Jung described "Synchronicity" as "Meaningful coincidence". What meaning, if any at all, should we extract from the following chilling coincidences?

In Edgar Allan Poe's 1838 story, "The Narrative of Aurthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket", three starving shipwreck survivors murder and consume their companion, named Richard Parker.
In 1884, three real-life shipwrecked sailors were tried for the murder of the fourth sailor. His name was also Richard Parker and he was also eaten.

At London's Savoy Hotel in 1953, newspaper columnist Irv Kupcinet was startled to find items belonging to an old friend of his, impresario Harry Hannon.
Two days later Kupcinet received a letter from the same Harry Hannin, staying at the Hotel Meurice in Paris: "You'll never believe this, but I've just opened a drawer here and found a tie with your name on it."

On an unusually empty train in Peru in the 1920s, three Englishmen were surprised find their introductions going thusly:
Man #1: "Pleased to meet you, I'm Bingham."
Man #2: "I'm Powell."
Man #3: "Believe it or not, gents, I'm Bingham Powell."

In the month leading up to the Allied invasion of Normandy on June 6, 1944, solutions to clues in London's Daily Telegraph crossword puzzles included: Neptune, Omaha, Utah, Mulberry, and Overlord. All top-secret D-Day code words - All published by pure coincidence.

John Stott's 1985 car crash was witnessed by Bernard Stott, investigated by police officer Tina Stott, and administered by desk sergeant Walter Stott. The four were not related. Great Stott!

Jilted by her lover, Henry Ziegland, a Texas woman killed herself in 1883. Seeking revenge, her brother sought Ziegland at his Texas home, fired a pistol at him and missed by the narrowest of margin, instead striking the tree Henry Ziegland was standing in front of. Believing Ziegland dead, the man then took his own life.
Thirty years later, in unlucky 1913, Henry Ziegland decided to remove the tree from his property. Unable to remove it by conventional means, he decided to fell the tree with dynomite - whereupon the long lost bullet, propelled by the explosion, finally found it's mark on the second try, killing Ziegland instantly.

Before immersing himself in paranormal research, 19th century French astronomer Camille Flammarion was writing his major work, L'Atmosphére, when a gale of wind abruptly blew his upper-story window open and sucked away the pages he had just completed. The wind deposited the pages in the street below near a passing messenger employed by Flammarion's publisher, who gathered the pages, thinking Flammarion was saving him the trouble of the stairs. But since this happened beyond Flammarion's sight, he was astonished to later receive proofs of what he had assumed was gone with the wind.
He would not, after all, be forced to rewrite his chapter on "The Force of the Wind."

When the famous Loch Ness "flipper" photo was captured by Robert Rines's motion-triggered underwater camera in 1975, prominent British naturalist Sir Peter Scott pronounced the "Loch Ness Monster" a living species.
Scott was so convinced of the creature's reality, in fact, that he gave the species a name: "Nessiteras Rhombpoteryx" - "Ness Monster With Diamond Shaped Fin".
In the face of overwhelming odds, however, Nessie's new Greek appellation was also a perfect anagram for "Monster hoax by Sir Peter S."

A computer at Argoed High School in northern Wales randomly assigned the number "007" to a 15 year old candidate for examinations in 1990. The student's name was, of course, James Bond.

Stopping by chance at a restaurant outside Milan on July 28, 1900, Italy's King Umberto I was astonished to encounter his dead-ringer double - the restaurant's owner, who was also named Umberto and who had been born in the same town with the same birthday. Both men had married women named Margherita on the same day - April 22, 1868 - and both sired sons named Vittorio.
The King asked the other "How is it that we've never met?" and the restaurant owner replied "But we have met, your majesty; twice!" Both had been decorated for bravery, and both times at the same ceremonies - once in 1866 and again in 1870.
When amazed restauranteur Umberto left to fetch the meals, amazed King Umberto proclaimed "I intend to make that man a cavaliere of the crown of Italy tomorrow!" But when he asked about his double the next day, he was shocked to learn that he had just been killed in a shooting accident.
The very next moment, the royal Umberto also died, shot in his coach three times by an assassin.

Creepy? Yes. True? You decide. ;)
StVandal

Re: Senseless Synchronicities?

Postby bermbits » 25 Jun 2009, 21:53

Cue the Twilight Zone music...
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: Senseless Synchronicities?

Postby pilvikki » 26 Jun 2009, 01:35

dead ringer double...? :think:
pilvikki