Parmesan Cheese!?!

Gratuitous advice about things that are useful and helpful to know.
Forum rules
Post concise and to the point answers not intended to be lengthy discussions.
Topics may be useful advice, tips, or trivia.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Parmesan Cheese!?!

Postby JackGriffin » 04 Feb 2011, 18:13

Earlier this week I helped a pal of a pal to move house. I refused any form of payment but the lad insisted on giving me a round of parmesan cheese. It is about 12" in circ & about 9" deep. I googled - found a 'gourmet' site & asked the Q - 'Can parmesan be frozen?' Well - the conflicting advice & verbal punch-up that followed ran a close second to the flare up at Cerescape - when the 'Invaders' appeared.

Has anyone here - ever had to store parmesan & if so - how the heck do you do it? :pirate2: :dancer1:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Location: Described by Weatherman - as much further down. North of Watford Gap think London too elitist

Re: Parmesan Cheese!?!

Postby mamie » 05 Feb 2011, 07:27

Yes, parmesan cheese can be frozen. It freezes better if you keep it in the large 'chunk' form rather than grating it beforehand. Double wrap the cheese airtight (after cutting off a piece to keep and use fresh!) and it will keep up to six months or longer. Freezing parmesan may change the texture slightly but it will remain fresh and tasty.:prof:
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 05 Feb 2011, 09:00

Thanks Mamie - just finished cutting into portions & shall go ahead & freeze. Wow - the smell in my kitchen - is amazing. :love: :pirate2: :dancer1:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Location: Described by Weatherman - as much further down. North of Watford Gap think London too elitist

Postby Yogi » 06 Feb 2011, 08:50

The way I store bulk Parmesan is to wrap it in parchment paper and then put it in a sealed plastic bag in the fridge. I never tried freezing it, but I would imagine that packing it as described will help it freeze better too. Most freezers take the moisture out of the air inside to prevent frost buildup. This will dehydrate anything you put in there as well. Thus sealing the cheese in parchment and plastic would seem to slow down if not eliminate any dehydration.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 07 Feb 2011, 07:20

Thanks Yogi - I have the cut up Parmesan double wrapped in plastic plus greaseproof paper next to the cheese - in my fridge at the moment as not enough room in freezer. I shall see how it fares & play it by ear. Fresh Parmesan is very rich & flavoursome - I have only ever encountered it before - shaken in dust form out a cardboard container - on Bolognese & the like. I shall start wrapping it up & giving it as presents - I'll not use it all - in a month of Sundays! :lol:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Feb 2011, 16:25

It tastes lovely on a bolognaise - but smells like vomit. : (
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby JackGriffin » 07 Feb 2011, 16:36

:grin: So do I at the moment - anything I try & eat - is on instant recall. My w*fe & daughter have gone out to a Surrey Tapas Joint - as it's my youngest son's birthday. I get left at home - with me thumb in me b*m - & me brain in neutral. It's a great diet - I had put on a few pounds over Christmas. :pirate2: :tiptoe: :dancer1:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 07 Feb 2011, 19:42

Aww, shame you weren't there for the birthday do, but then - the after-effects of any food might've gone south instead of north. Oh dear ... either way's not good!
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 09 Feb 2011, 12:42

I love my stinky cheese (what I call Parmesan), and sprinkle it on nearly anything Italian (even though most things here are Americanized Italian), like spaghetti and meatballs and pizza. I prefer it mixed with Romano.

Now you have me wanting to see if I can get some fresh and in bulk. Sounds wonderful!
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby JackGriffin » 09 Feb 2011, 13:02

:grin: I have it stacked in my 'fridge at present & have a sulking daughter complaining that it has made her Greek Healthy Yoghurt - taste like mouldy socks! :grin:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby pilvikki » 09 Feb 2011, 14:54

:lmaof3:

can't for my life figure out what is so fascinating about that stuff... :think:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby JackGriffin » 09 Feb 2011, 18:22

As anyone - who has posted positively :whistle: - will inform you - Parmesan Cheese is just made for putting on pasta dishes - aromatic meat dishes - soups etc - just to give it that extra 'va va voom'. It's part of life - just as is vinegar on Fish & Chips - mustard & ketchup on Hot Dogs & garlic & rosemary - on Barbequed Penguin! I have to like it - I have just been given 4 kilos of it. Seriously - fresh & ungrated - 'tis a completely different animal! :pirate2: :dancer1:
JackGriffin
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 09 Feb 2011, 21:27

Glad it's in your fridge and not mine, though .....
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 10 Feb 2011, 08:12

JackGriffin wrote::grin: I have it stacked in my 'fridge at present & have a sulking daughter complaining that it has made her Greek Healthy Yoghurt - taste like mouldy socks! :grin:

I curious to know how your daughter knows what moldy socks taste like. :lmao1:

I can get fresh cut pieces of Parmesan at the grocer and my wife complains about the aroma all the time. But, the veal and the Alfredo sauce made with fresh cheese is to die for.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Feb 2011, 09:50

Can I have the recipe for that sauce Yogi?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Alfredo Sauce

Postby Yogi » 10 Feb 2011, 10:36

This is the American version. You might have to convert it to English measurements.

Alfredo Sauce
Serves 3

3 tablespoons butter
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    clove of garlic, crushed
    1 cup + 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
Add cream and simmer for 5 minutes, then
add garlic and cheese and whisk quickly, heating through.
Stir in parsley and serve.

COMMENTS: The key to great flavor is to use fresh ingredients. Cream comes in various grades and the nomenclature in the UK isn't the same as what we use here. Heavy cream is about 36% fat in America. I've used cream with less fat content and it is acceptable, but the real artery clogging Alfredo sauce needs the heavy cream.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Feb 2011, 16:27

Tyvm. Don't think there'll be a problem with the cream OR the measurements. We also go by the cupful as well, asnd it sounds lovely.

What do you suggest as the best food to serve this up with? Sounds like it'd go well with meat OR fish? We don't eat veal, so is a nice normal steak OK?
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 10 Feb 2011, 21:23

I appreciate that Alfredo Sauce recipe as well. I'm going to Copy that down and print it out for our Cookbook. My Dad is always looking for new things to try, and we absolutely love cooking things using fresh ingredients, rather than "pre-cooked" and packaged dishes.

You ought to taste my Dad's fresh beef stew! One of my favorites!
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Postby Ice.Maiden » 10 Feb 2011, 21:32

Awww, I think I do a mean one as well, but yes, that sauce sounds great - even though it has parmesan in it. It's the same with blue Stilton cheese. I don't care for it, but when added to a sauce mix, it can taste fine. I'll definitely try the recipe, although unsure as to what'd go best with it.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby kg » 10 Feb 2011, 22:21

I'm sure it'd go good with quite a few things. I've heard of "almost everything" Alfredo. Chicken, shrimp...on and on.

A quick search on Google brought this up:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/favoriteflavors/tp/alfredosauce.htm
kg
Honored 10k Club Member
Honored 10k Club Member

Next

Return to Answers