How to clean dirtiest thing in your house.

Gratuitous advice about things that are useful and helpful to know.
Forum rules
Post concise and to the point answers not intended to be lengthy discussions.
Topics may be useful advice, tips, or trivia.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

How to clean dirtiest thing in your house.

Postby petunia princess » 12 Aug 2010, 18:39

Research has shown that the most germ-infested thing in a person's house is the common kitchen sponge. To get it clean, it is recommended that one should place the DAMP sponge in the microwave oven, then zap it for two minutes.

However, firefighters would rather you not do this, as there have been fires caused when people microwave a sponge or dishtowel that is not damp.

Here's a good news article about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6293735.stm
petunia princess

Re: How to clean dirtiest thing in your house.

Postby mamie » 13 Aug 2010, 05:25

I have always hated sponges in the kitchen for that very reason. I use bar wipes instead - a fresh one every day. :shh:

And another helpful hint for the dirtiest thing in your driveway - do your hubcaps (wheel covers) in the dishwasher. :lol:
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 13 Aug 2010, 07:53

Oh gosh!!!!! That'd surely make a nice dent in the drum!!! : )
I swear by Dettox wipes. Do you get those in the US? They're nice and soft, and apparently kill off almost anything, whilst cleaning at the same time.
In an edition of Which? magazine, it said that a survey'd been done on cleaning products in the UK, and the best ones to use for cleaning, and to remove the bacteria which cause harm, are the Dettox and Dettol products. My sister, who's a research scientist, was working on this at the time, and agreed with the report, so these are what I now use, along with white vinegar and lemon juice on some things.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby petunia princess » 13 Aug 2010, 14:31

Mamie - My husband would have a fit if I put hubcaps in the dishwasher. But it sure sounds like it would work!

Ice - Alas, I have not seen the product you talk about. I wish I could get it.
petunia princess

Postby mamie » 13 Aug 2010, 15:13

I haven't seen that product either, Icey. Here we have many brands of disinfectant wipes that I also use. Bar wipes (mops) are actual towels (terrycloth) woven from inferior materials that are very inexpensive. I buy mine at discount places by the pound. I use one a day and then throw them all in the washer with detergent and bleach and they are good to go again. Since they are so inexpensive, you don't feel bad about throwing one away when it gets too dirty to wash. They cost about six or seven dollars for two or three dozen.
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 14 Aug 2010, 16:57

Thank you for that. I wasn't sure whether the products could be bought over the pond, but I'm sure that you have similar stuff on sale.
The Dettol liquid is an antisceptic and disinfectant ...
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTB8ZiVE0eKnqtAQLkBB3cQoubSq91mwRFfasn-8Fx_rCH2QdY&t=1&usg=__KvWiZjPwZWVheB4DSMPN59OrhCA=

The wipes are antibacterial, and once dried, it's safe to put food on the wiped surface. The floor wipes have the same properties.

[ img ]

You can also get their air fresheners which actively kill bacteria, mould, floor and other surface sprays. They're a bit more expensive than some household cleaners, but work.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 12 Sep 2010, 13:53

i use my u/v wand and don't even get my hands wet! :lol:

yes, one still needs to wipe things down, but it be perfect for stuff like phones and keyboards that don't like swimming.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 19 Sep 2010, 09:10

Never tried one of those wands, but I understand they're good.

You know what, though, how many of us've ever contracted something nasty from a bit of household dirt? The more we seem to disinfect, kill off germs, bacteria and unpleasant diseases which are sometimes unpronouncable - the less work our natural immune systems have to do, and these seem to be breaking down more than ever before.

I'm not a dirty person, but it's impossible to keep every speck of dust and grime out of the house. We have animals running around, children playing, people who've been working in barns and stables coming in and out - and yet no one's ever picked up something gross from the muck they might've touched or been working with.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Answers