Human Traits

It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody asked you the question. Well, Ask It Here.
Forum rules
Ask concise and to the point questions not intended to be lengthy discussions.
Short informative replies are expected.
Questions about Brainformation should be posted in the GURUS ARE US forum.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

Human Traits

Postby upshifter » 29 Dec 2009, 00:09

What are the best three traits a human can have, and why are they important? Think of things like honor, loyalty, compassion, thrift, oath keeping, promise keeping, or anything that you believe are the top three traits any human can have.
upshifter

Re: Human Traits

Postby pilvikki » 29 Dec 2009, 03:51

drive a standard, do you? :P

well... integrity, compassion, intelligence... work for me.
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby AJRC » 29 Dec 2009, 13:42

Compassion, to be mindful of others and not just yourself. Intelligence, to always ask questions and never stop learning. Confidence, the ability to have an opinion and never let anyone change your mind.
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Toula » 29 Dec 2009, 15:40

Hey AJRC, hope you keep them ALL in mind when you see my answer to you congratulating the Yanks for giving us Xmas as we know it! :lmao4:
Toula

Postby ladypatg » 31 Dec 2009, 19:19

Integrity, intelligence and kindness.
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 31 Dec 2009, 20:32

Hard to say, as there are so many. My immediate thoughts - kindness, thoughtfulness and intelligence.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Toula » 03 Jan 2010, 12:55

Now all joking aside from my previous post on this thread, and having thought about who wrote what, I don't think that intelligence is a 'Human Trait' - 'TRAIT' meaning = characteristic, quality or feature of a person. Intelligence = More an ability to understand, learn and think! OK maybe I am splitting hairs here - Sorry! Just, I have known people who are well and truly 'Thick' when it comes to everyday life, but, who have very good 'Human Traits!'

So for me it has to be: 1. Kindness 2. Generosity. 3. Understanding.

ALL of which, come wrapped up in the same bundle, and none of which, is greater than any of the other. All are Equal!

Kindness shown to others, not judging them, trying to understand, just accepting them and all their faults, and loving them nevertheless. Rolls into:

Generosity, giving what we can, and doing what we can for others less well off than ourselves. Even when we cannot afford to do so, just give it anyway. Not always having to be money, could be as simple as our time or a kind word.

Understanding others needs, whether it be giving or simply to listen to them, or taking time-out to be a friend to them. Understanding that they do not have to change to 'fit' our bill - let them be themselves and do not judge, least of all, criticize, them for what they are. :love:
Toula

Postby Ice.Maiden » 04 Jan 2010, 13:32

If you mean characteristics, then yes, generousity (although kindness'd probably include that one) and understanding.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Silke » 14 Jan 2010, 16:24

all of those are good, but as with all traits, there are two sides to the same coin. Lets take "kindness". Sure, a thing to be treasured, but in too much quantity you loose yourself and sacrifice yourself to a point where there isn't really much point. "Generosity" is fine too, but what when you don't have more to give? Ruins your self esteem it does, not to mention all taking advantage of you to the point where you (again) sacrifice yourself for others. Then I like "compassion" better, as it is about understanding others, puting yourself in their shoes but not necessarily act upon it (as well as not necessarily not acting on it).

To my way of thinking, it isn't good to be "a nice person". You should be a "good person", not "nice" or "sweet". More important than to give is the ability to receive. Know when to ask for help and take it, knowing the gift you give others by accepting. Sadly I'm not very good at that.
Silke
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 16 Jan 2010, 21:55

Another way of looking at things Silke, yes.

However, I don't see showing kindness as losing yourself, and any trait is given or shown in degrees. It doesn't mean that if you're kind, you're forever helping all and sundry. For instance, I'm kind to my children. That's no sacrifice - it's given willingly.
Kindness shown to folk who're vulnerable is, again, shown because I care about their situation/plight, but you can only do so much. Sometimes just a few words might help them, and that costs nothing.
Generousity is a wide subject. I'm generous not only materialistically, but with my time. Where my family and friends are concerned, I'll always have something to give, and again, this is no sacrifice because it's what I want to do.
No one takes advantage of me, and having the above traits doesn't mean that substituting other words for those mentioned makes them any different. For example, compassion comes from a kindness of heart, I'd say.
I don't see what's wrong with the words "nice" or "sweet". There's not enough in the world, and that's the trouble.
However, I look for these traits in folk that I get on with well, and it's meant that I've formed lasting friendships and never fallen out with these people. We help each other where necessary, and don't give it a second thought. We all have close loving families, and I see it as something to cherish and be proud of.
I'd say that the three human traits, or charcteristics that are the best, are often the hardest to find in others. Only by showing them can we receive them.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Silke » 17 Jan 2010, 05:13

giving is not the problem as long as it is willingly. It is good, and I never said it should be disregarded. The trouble start when people start to ask and you can´t find it in them to refuse - no matter how much you really should refuse just that day. That goes for material things, time and even mood. When putting it up as one of three traits which should be most important it makes that line so much easier to cross. Same with "nice" and "sweet". Being nice for the sake of being nice excludes other things which is important for your feeling of self and therefore your self-esteem and suddenly you can be on a downward spiral. I´m not saying you shouldn´t be nice. But be nice because you want to, not for the sake of it. Know when to be what, and that is what I put into "be a good person". "As long as it harms none, do as you please" "do unto others as you want then to do unto you" and stuffs.
Silke
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 18 Jan 2010, 13:27

Ah - when you explain it like that, I agree with you.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Questions