site loads ridiculously slow

It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody asked you the question. Well, Ask It Here.
Forum rules
Ask concise and to the point questions not intended to be lengthy discussions.
Short informative replies are expected.
Questions about Brainformation should be posted in the GURUS ARE US forum.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

site loads ridiculously slow

Postby Paris » 05 Aug 2013, 02:09

The Huffington Post - you would think that a large company like this would have a web site that loads quickly. Well, it doesn't. My question is this: Why? Why does The Huffington Post site take so long to load?
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Re: site loads ridiculously slow

Postby Yogi » 05 Aug 2013, 08:47

Well ... since you asked ... there are many possible explanations. The distance from Huffington HQ to your computer is covered by what we call the Internet. The internet is physically a bowl of spaghetti with each strand connected to each other at it's point of contact. With a bowl as large as the United States (ignoring the rest of the world for the moment), it requires a lot of routers, repeaters, amplifiers, switches, and the gods know what else to connect one end of the bowl to the other end.

In a perfect bowl of spaghetti it all works seamlessly and in the blink of an eye. Indeed that happens 99+ percent of the time. Each connecting point, however, has a potential to slow down the data packets depending on how much traffic is going through that particular point. This is one reason for a possible slowdown, total traffic on the Internet at any given moment.

Then there is Huffington Post's source of the information you seek, their server. A good server can send out information faster than you can measure the speed. But, when you get thousands or tens of thousands of request for information in one second's time, somebody ends up standing in line waiting. Thus server loading and efficiency of its hardware is a factor.

Your computer is also part of the connection. Each component of your system is a potential slowdown point. Outdated software on your computer, unnecessary files, worn disks, electronic noise (from nearby mobile devices, for example), and whatnot all have an influence on download speed at your computer.

Then, there is logistics. I checked out Huffington Post before I made this reply. It downloaded instantly. The server I connected to probably is here in Chicago. The one you connected to may have been their outpost in London because the one in California was too busy to accept any more connections. Where the servers are located, and the Post has many, is also a huge factor in speed.

And, last but not the least of the speed demons, is the content of any given web page. Each ad you see on a page connects to a different server owned by the advertiser. If you see six ads, that means you have to wait for each one of them to connect and serve up their blurb before, as in prior to, you see the content you requested. These ad servers are responsible for nearly all the delays you see when trying to view a commercial web page.

When you think about all the possible obstacles, it's a miracle that you see what you are looking for at all.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Paris » 07 Aug 2013, 01:32

Wow! Thanks for the thoroughly researched answer. I thought you were setting me up for a joke when you began talking about spaghetti. Turns out you used a great analogy. As for ads slowing down load time, I've often suspected this. But the fact that ads can (and do) come from different servers never occurred to me.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Postby Yogi » 07 Aug 2013, 08:54

There is software and add-ons for your browsers that say they filter out the ads. You can install these things but they themselves use up computer resources to do their job. Plus, none of them are perfect. Like spam, the ad servers keep changing their IP addresses and domain names and your filter may not be able to keep track of it all. Furthermore, commercial web sites who derive their revenue from the ads you see might prohibit you from loading their web page content if you have a filter in place. Be that all as it may, those who use the ad filtering software swear by it. I'd prefer to use a high end computer and a high speed Internet connection so that it doesn't matter how much spam I'm being served. Besides, spam tastes good when fried. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby Paris » 13 Aug 2013, 13:19

I didn't know there was such a thing as ad filters! What a brilliant concept. But if there's a possibility that a website will block my access to it if it senses a filter, I'll pass. As for getting a high end computer -- probably won't happen. I have this belief that what's best for me is a low end computer that I can replace with another low end computer every two years.
Paris
Graduate Level Poster
Graduate Level Poster

Return to Questions