College Degree Query

It's frustrating when you know all the answers, but nobody asked you the question. Well, Ask It Here.
Forum rules
Ask concise and to the point questions not intended to be lengthy discussions.
Short informative replies are expected.
Questions about Brainformation should be posted in the GURUS ARE US forum.
The general Code of Conduct rules apply to this forum.

College Degree Query

Postby bermbits » 22 Apr 2012, 11:51

We are in the process of narrowing college choices for my daughter. Two of the finalists offer Bachelor's degrees, but one is called a Bachelor's of Professional Studies. I have tried to find out how it differs from a "regular" Bachelor's (B.A. or B.S.). The main difference I have been able to find is that should she want a Master's degree someday, she will have to take additional courses, which are covered in the "regular" Bachelor's as the BPS focuses more in 'professional' coursework.

If I haven't confused you too much, can anyone offer more info on the difference between a Bachelor's and a BPS? Thanks.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Re: College Degree Query

Postby Ice.Maiden » 22 Apr 2012, 17:45

The Bachelor of Professional Studies (BPS) degree is intended for students interested in completing a bachelor's degree through evening classes.

It's taken by those who're perhaps wishing to study for their Masters later on.

Here you are bermbits:

"The bachelor's of science is a general degree category from which many specific programmes of study (majors) fall. For example, a bachelor of science in engineering, or a bachelor's of science degree in biology. The bachelor's degree level is referred to as undergraduate coursework. The professional degree is commonly referred to as First Professional degree, and is advanced coursework beyond the bachelor's degree and is typically specific to professions such as doctors, lawyers, etc."
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby Yogi » 22 Apr 2012, 18:57

I think the BS and BA degrees carry a little more weight with them and opens more doors when you are out of school looking for a job. The coursework for the conventional degrees is more rigorous. The path to take depends on what your daughter intends to do with her degree, of course. If she is anything like most young ladies her age, she has no good idea. However, some degree is better than no degree. Any of them will be greatly appreciated some four years from now. :mrgreen:
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 23 Apr 2012, 12:10

for one, what is she going for? it'll make a difference if she's thinking environmental studies rather than an acting career f. ex...
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby bermbits » 23 Apr 2012, 12:18

Equestrian Business Management. I don't think she'll be going for a master's, but we never know.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 23 Apr 2012, 15:00

The best of luck to her.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby bermbits » 23 Apr 2012, 15:49

Thank you!
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 23 Apr 2012, 22:05

i doubt she needs luck, she's got brains and talent! [must have gotten them from her dad... mom's still has hers.... :P ]

if she's an enthusiastic student, let her wade in! if she's lukewarm about the subject, go for the 'light' option. either way, i think she's picked a good subject, which should not be slacking off in the near future. if ever.

hey... i invented a new word: nere. :lol:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Apr 2012, 05:55

The girl MUST have the intelligence, no doubt about it, but I was wishing her good luck with her future ventures. Equestrian management isn't as easy as some folk might think. I have a relative in Ireland who ran an equestrian centre before embarking on a stud farm, and you certainly have to know what you're doing.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby bermbits » 24 Apr 2012, 09:34

She's yet another little girl who passed through a horse phase, but she never emerged - she's been riding seriously for 10+ (?) years (regularly jumps 2'9" [and has done 3']). Between high school theatre and the horses, she hasn't had time to get into trouble, which is a blessing. She's a "rule-follower," which is also a blessing! We lucked out! What's going to change everything is when she leaves for school = I am not looking forward to that day.
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Ice.Maiden » 24 Apr 2012, 15:18

I started horse riding when I was about 3. Had my first pony when I was 7, and it just went on from there as well. I only ever entered 2 gymkhanas, because my passion wasn't for competitive riding, but rather that I just liked to go for a morning's hack with my friends.

Keeping your children busy and interested in something's really important. Does your daughter plan on opening her own equestrian centre one day bermbits, or heading one, at least? Whatever she ends up doing, the business side of her studies could come in very useful, and I hope she enjoys the course as much as her riding.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Postby pilvikki » 25 Apr 2012, 17:37

berm, she might be a late bloomer like myself.... i had my rebellious side come out when i was 30... :lol:

i don't think you lucked out, you just know what you're doing. all them years spent with kids paid out.

:dance: :dance: :dance:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Ice.Maiden » 28 Dec 2012, 11:45

I've just come back to this thread, and yes, I agree with you Vikki., although a rebellious streak may never materialise. Our eldest son's always been level-headed. He had a bit of a frenzy 3 - 4 years ago when he told his pal's mum that I agreed to him dying his hair black. He had this idea that he wanted to be a rock star, and that black hair was cool, so unbeknown to me, she dyed it for him! I had to go to school and explain the transformation, and wasn't pleased at all, but I can grin about it now because like myself, he's always been wilful. As yet though, there are no signs of him really going off the rails. It's early days, but he's got a sensible head on his shoulders and his friends've turned out the same - a lovely bunch of kids, who keep themselves busy with sport, their music and just hanging out together. No trouble at all.
Ice.Maiden
Golden Poster
Golden Poster

Return to Questions