WHQuestion

Brainformation is about the information in your brain and the way it's perceived. This forum specialize in the exchange of ideas and thoughts that do not fit into our special interests categories.

WHQuestion

Postby StVandal » 26 May 2009, 09:19

Anyone remember that place? It seems we're all struggling to find a home since then, and I think a lot of us have found it here. Yogi's found a place in his heart to give us a place to kick around here, and I think.. well, maybe just me, but we may take that for granted. It can't be easy to keep a advertisement-free website nowadays. I think it's great that Yogi's kept that alive.
If Yogi were to make a paypal account, I'd be sure to donate a little money, (and I survive on less that 10k a year). And I think it's a good idea. What do you all think?
Yog?
Let's do it!

Edit: I'm big in the punk rock scene here in Seattle doing what I can to keep venues alive, and I'm no different with online venues. I give my blood sweat and tears into everything I support here for my own crew.. We all have to support our scenes, and this is no different. I'm not trying to start any pledge drive or anything, but I think if Yogi made a link to a paypal account where we could give a dollar or two to alleviate the fight to keep us all together, well.. wonderful. I think we're a good family.
StVandal

Re: WHQuestion

Postby petunia princess » 26 May 2009, 11:21

Sounds good! I'm game.

What does WHQuestion mean? (Gawd ... I'm so lame and uninformed sometimes!)
petunia princess

Postby bermbits » 26 May 2009, 12:05

I spent a lot of time on a place called Abuzz. It too was a community, but the NY Times pulled funding, and it died. I really loved that place. Then I was on Ask-it-Here. I liked that place too for a while, but things got "different." The people were generally great, but.... I remember John was going through some "stuff," and I sent what I thought was a nice message. His terse reply told me that was it; I was in the wrong place! I never went back. In my time here (sometimes more than others), I've seen that there's a great bunch of people; when people truly communicate, for the most part we can agree to disagree. Yes, I too would kick in something to keep it going - I don't want to take things for granted.

Yogi is wonderful and wise (and so helpful)!

:clap2:

(I'd like to add a: :love: but people might talk....)
bermbits
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby petunia princess » 26 May 2009, 12:33

Okay ... I got it.

Here are some examples of words with wh-questions in English. Most of them begin with wh-:

who
what
when
where
why
how

Who: Yogi
What: NeoBrainformation
When: Anytime
Where: Here
Why: Because it's for a good cause.
How: PayPal?
petunia princess

Postby StVandal » 26 May 2009, 14:20

WHQuestion was a site that some of us grew out from. It was strictly a Q&A site that you could ask questions and rate their answers, or vice-versa. Here is more of a free-for-all where we can ask anything and don't have to rate each other. I'd like to think it's more community oriented. Everyone knows each other for the most part, but are completely open to new people joining. We're all a family here. At least, I'd like to think so. ;)
StVandal

Postby Jiperly » 26 May 2009, 15:28

Yea, apparently WHQuestion was a temp site made by some college students or something....after it died, alot of us became refugees to Ask It Here.....(I found AiH by looking up the WHQuestion memorial site)
Jiperly

Postby brandtrn » 26 May 2009, 15:45

Yes, indeed, I DO remember the late, lamented WHQuestion -- I LOVED that site! And you're right, Yogi's has been awesome about providing all of us WHQuestion (along with AIH and CS) refugees with an online "home." And yes, I WOULD support this site if he were to set up a PayPal account. I was happy enough to help support the other sites financially, so why not???
brandtrn
Advanced Degree Poster
Advanced Degree Poster

Postby petunia princess » 26 May 2009, 19:32

Yogi also took UEC members under his wings when the UEC site was dramatically changed and its protesting members were summarily flung into cyberspace with nary an explanation.

Thanks again, Yogi. :clap:
petunia princess

Postby pilvikki » 26 May 2009, 20:19

[blast! i lost my post again!]

this is absolutely creepy, for earlier i sat down here expressly to mention my WH? coasters i found - while looking for something else instead. the coincidence is not the first time so george kindly stay out of my head, it's really creepy!!!

:shifty:

when WH went down like the titanic with as much notice, i was lost sitting with my finger in my mouth wondering what to do at 2.30 in the morning after coming home from work.... still, this place is SO much better, for on WH there were a lot of obnoxious brats who just wanted you to do their homework research. here we only have a couple of brats... like marvin.... :whistle: and pet.... and...

:lmao1:

yes! i'd have no problem contributing for a very good cause: us! lol!
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby petunia princess » 27 May 2009, 01:26

:bleh:
petunia princess

Postby AJRC » 27 May 2009, 03:10

I'd be happy to support this site. I used to donate a monthly payment to Cerescape until the mods took over and i stopped it. I was never a member of WHQuestion, i just went straight to AIH. As with bermbits, i liked the place initially but then it changed. They wrote their own code for the site and with Dilbert and God both being Liberals they started to moderate right wing opinions they didn't like. While this was funny to begin with, it quickly turned into censorship, so i left. I left to go to CS, what a mistake that was!

I see this place as my home now, i'm here to stay. So i'd happily support it so it stays my home. :love:
AJRC
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby mamie » 27 May 2009, 06:19

I'd be happy to contribute to a PayPal account that was earmarked for the preservation of this site.

I started out at KnowPost a decade ago as did several others that are also here from UEC.
mamie
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby Jiperly » 27 May 2009, 16:05

Sorry Yogi, but I'm currently unemployed- I appreicate your efforts, and if need be I'll take actions to help preserve your bandwidth, but you ain't gunna get a dime from me :nana:
Jiperly

Postby pilvikki » 28 May 2009, 01:32

i could give you a couple of cash jobs... like yard work?

:P
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby ladypatg » 05 Jun 2009, 20:25

Works for me! Love Yogi and this site! I'm a UEC evictee, too and now I have a home. That ain't no small thing.

I wasn't online much during those other sites' heyday. I'm just glad I found all of you. And yes we are a family. Maybe a bit peculiar but, what family isn't?

Yogi - we need a button!
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster
Brainiac Class Poster

Postby pilvikki » 05 Jun 2009, 21:16

we don't want our collective pant to fall down....
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby Yogi » 07 Jun 2009, 18:01

Gee folks ... I have to tell you that I'm a bit lost for words. Your offers of generosity and kind words have taken me by surprise. I've been to most of those other sites and agree that they were sorely lacking in certain critical areas, which is what I used as a guide to build and develop the Brainformation discussion forums. I kept the good, discarded the bad, and tried to create an environment in which all our members can feel comfortable and safe while having the freedom to be whatever they want to be.

I regret never having been a member of WHquestion. I've read many positive comments about WHQ in my years lurking around forums, and I consider it a high honor to be compared to the very best. Unfortunately I've not witnessed it all for myself, so my role model is something I look up to vicariously. From the very beginning I wanted to be be like WHQ, but never knew what it was I wanted to be. Thus I took matters in to my own hands, and with a little help from the angel who watches over me, I put into place what you see here.

Sometimes I question the success of neoBrainformation and wonder if I should continue its operation. It's truly not a financial issue. Like any other discussion forum nBF has it's peaks and valleys, and I have concern that some day it may get stuck in a valley and not revive itself. But, as this thread so elegantly points out, we have become a home to a fair number of people who would otherwise be lost without us. I've said it before, and I want to remind all of you once again. If I stand tall, it's because I stand on the shoulders of giants. My role here is technical for the most part. You, the members of neoBrainformation, decide its course. If we are great, it's because all of you have contributed your best to make us that way.

Regarding financing this operation. Yes, I'm absorbing the full cost of hosting this web site. Ads may pay the bills in some places, but they are annoying and take away from the enjoyment of your visit. We get bombarded by way too many ads in our real worlds, so part of the plan of Brainformation was to not burden our members with more of them. This thread is the first I'm hearing of the success of that strategy, and I fully intend to keep it that way into the foreseeable future.

Our small size and the limited traffic we experience is keeping us well within our quotas. Unless we increase active membership by a factor of about ten, I don't see us having to migrate to a bigger and more expensive server. While I am constantly looking for ways to increase our numbers and the interest in neoBrainformation, I don't want to explode into something too big without sponsorship.

The bottom financial line is that so far I'm able to handle what it costs to rent server space. But, I'm always open to suggestions from our membership, especially if those suggestions give our members a feeling of belonging to something worth while. If contributing to the financial support of neoBrainformation would create a sense of ownership then I perceive it as a good thing. I already have a PayPal account in place for personal use, but it can easily be made an operations fund for neoBrainformation. Since I am at a loss for words here - :roll: - I want to think this over a bit before I make a formal decision. Regardless of what I decide, I thank you all for your friendship.
Yogi
Oracle Class Poster
Oracle Class Poster

Postby markhimself » 07 Jun 2009, 18:37

It's kind of surreal thinking back to how most of us has stuck together over the years. Myself, i've been around since about 2000. Starting with WHQuestion as well, and then PointAsk, Brain-Fuse, AIH, and here. Everywhere I went, I saw the same faces. Funny how things work out like that. :)
markhimself
Founder
Founder

Postby pilvikki » 07 Jun 2009, 19:54

"birds of a feather..." etc. said the penguin.

:lmao4:

oh, i'm so funny.

:shifty:
pilvikki
Royal Poobah Penguin
Royal Poobah Penguin

Postby ladypatg » 08 Jun 2009, 15:03

Penguin = odd duck?

Whatever you decide Oh Great Yogi is always fine by me. :love:
ladypatg
Brainiac Class Poster